“Relaxing...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Silver Sands
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Relaxing...”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The celebration of life brought us to Barbados...One of my closet friends was turning 33. I chose the Silver Point based on prior reviews. Our friends kept telling us that it was far and desolate. I'll tell you this...it's not far from anything, In fact me and my friends walked to the supermarket. We took the vans and public bus everywhere and we felt very safe. The Silver Point is located in a residential neighborhood but at no time were we scared. Check in was a breeze. The young lady who welcomes us was very nice. The only thing that I did not like was that she did not tell us much. I read that there was a free bus that would of taken us to Bridgetown. Literally picked us up from the hotel...she did not make mention of this.She pretty much just told us how pricey the cabs would be. She didn't talk about any excursions, etc. Something else I did not like and I;m not use to is the front desk does not stay open all night long and if I'm not mistaken I think it was closed on Sunday..

Upon entering the room I was amazed by the cleanliness. I didn't expect it to be a living room area and a loft space for the bed upstairs. The room was a decent size for two people. The cleaning crew kept the room neat and clean. The only thing I did notice that the cleaning crew did not clean as much, better yet they did not dust the steps so sitting underneath them watching TV if you're asthmatic could be a problem.

The beach was spectacular. The view from the restaurant amazing. The beach itself was rough but it was beautiful. It's well kept and is used primarily by Kite Surfers which is fun to look at. The pool was small but it was off season for them so the place was rather empty. It served us good because not too many ppl where in it. I have to agree with other reviewers when they say that they beds are always damp and look run down. i do not think the establishment is taking good care of the pool area.

The food at the restaurant is nothing to brag about. It was basic food at best. I had to send my breakfast back a couple of times and I think this annoyed the waitress (one in particular). I wish I could remember the names of the waitresses at the restaurant because one was very nice, accommodating and funny a rather plumped lady for lack of better words. The menu has less than 10 items and I think that's stretching it.

Word of advice if you want to stay at the Silver point and enjoy Barbados rent a car...this can get you everywhere. Cabs are very expensive in Barbados. No the rate exchange we were scammed a couple of times by some at first friendly vendors. Go to Oistins and EAT @ DEBBIE'S!!! This lady went out of her way to accommodate us. The food was soooo good. We ate at Chillin and Grillin and we were scammed and the food was not good at all.

Overall it was a nice, relaxing vacation but would I go back to Barbados....NO.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Barbara D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Inverurie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 12 days in November and were so happy with our stay - we stayed in room #320, which was nice and clean - basic but done the job!! and if you looked out of the balcony you had a lovely ocean view (partial) on your right. I loved relaxing on the beds outside to sunbathe.

The bar/restaurant was where we ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner most days which was lovely and it is a shame they do not include an all inclusive option when booking (i think they do a half board option though) as the menu's are quite pricey, especially in the evening. Apart from the price, the food was very good during our stay.

The reason we ate at the hotel most of the time was due to the location of the hotel. It is really is a fair bit out from everything else - so this was a lot more convenient for us. There are taxi's at the hotel all the time ready to take you where you want but we chose to go by bus instead which meant a 2 minute walk through the neighbourhood. I must warn you before you come to Barbados that the buses are very small and you are crammed on with music blaring and the drivers are crazy on the roads (not all, some are ok), This was a totally different experience for us and found it quite amusing but sometimes did get annoying - I would have preferred to get a taxi really!

The best thing about this hotel?....... The staff!!! They were brilliant and I will always remember how great we were treated on our stay - Kathlene and Richelle (Or you can call her Trouble!) were amazing - our two favourites, even though I probably shouldn't say :-) !! They were so helpful. We asked Richelle one day if they restaurant would make us a Macaroni Pie for our last night there - to which we found out they do not do in the quiet season, so Richele called the local food lady and made an order for us!!! It was brill and the macaroni pie was lovely - a 'must try' in Barbados!! That night we sat at the bar with Richelle and had a good laugh, perfect end to our holiday. Kathlene was a lovely girl she is the petite small one, she is very friendly and also helpful - I was usually out having a cigarette so she gave me a Barbados lighter as a souvenir - a very sweet girl. Other great staff were Mike (best milkshake maker), Brenda and Caroline. The other staff we came across, at times, I thought could be slightly moody and less helpful? But were never unpleasant to us!!

I really would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to visit Barbados! But I would recommend taking extra money for taxi's (for which, the value you get this hotel for, I would not complain about extra $$ for taxi) unless you would enjoy the Reggae buses which are only $2 per person always.

One bad thing was the locals on the beach who would push for you to buy seashells/coconuts/aloe vera......etc Even if you were sitting on your lounger at the hotel, they would try and get your attention - this just needs to be ignored and they will soon go away. The hotel has 24/7 secutiy so you are always safe, not that i think they would give you any bad hassle anyway. If you go on the beach - you will get the same again but found that the ones we did speak to, were quite friendly and obviously only trying to make a living, if you just firmly say NO to their offers, they stop and can actually give you some useful info or advice about Barbados - I found, Josh was quite useful to speak to! He is the one with the gold tooth.

Overall: Excellent hotel, brilliant service and staff, delicious food - just a little out the way from everything!! Definitely recommend!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed at Silverpoint in November for 2 weeks. On arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly Marlene. A nice bonus on arrival is that we were given vouchers for US$400 to use on excursions/restaurants. They were from the Barbados tourist board, a nice touch. Our room was a partial sea view. The rooms are a bit on the small side, although very clean. The rooms are dark during the evening, with only a light by the front door, and and two bedside table lamps to light the whole room. In the morning the rooms fill with light even with the curtains closed, meaning if you are a light sleeper like me, you will be awake when the sun rises. Power sockets are also in odd positions, meaning the hairdryer cannot be used anywhere near the mirror. The beds are huge and very comfortable, with no shortage of pillows. Rooms have tea and coffee making facilities, with tea, coffee and sugar being replaced daily. A fridge is also provided, but no stocked mini bar. Decor to the rooms is decent, and always fresh white sheets. On our second night, the room above flooded into our bathroom. We were offered another room down the corridor and given a free breakfast from a limited menu. The restaurant was open from 7.30am for breakfast. Food was ok and slightly pricey. We didn't stay for dinner so cannot comment on that. Drinks from the pool bar were surprisingly cheap, with 2 vodkas and mixers for $10. The hotel shop is a different story, with cigarettes priced at $25. I was charged $35 on the first day after being warned by the shop assistant they were expensive. On the second day I went into the shop and was told by the same honest lady that there had been a mistake and she refunded me the difference. Location was slightly off the beaten track, being in a residential area with no other hotels close by since the closure of Silver Sands Hotel. Travel was not a problem, as taxis are nearly always outside, and if not, are there within 5 minutes when called by reception. The beach is on the doorstep of the hotel, and is beautiful. Slightly rougher waters due to it being where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean sea, but still fine for swimming in. Popular with kite surfers, which are fun to watch. Golden sand and turquoise waters. The only downside to the beach are the 'coconut salesmen' who pester you consistently if you are silly enough to give them the time of day. Coconuts of course not being there main product for sale. They will shout after you whilst you are sunbathing on the beach side of the hotels decking area, although they will not enter the hotel grounds. Security guards patrol the hotel 24 hours a day. The staff on reception were very helpful and friendly, even more so than our non existent virgin rep. They booked all of our excursions and restaurants and made some very good recommendations. For car hire, it is best to go through reception, as they got us a better rate. Overall a nice little hotel. Very pleased with our stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I was fully aware of where I was coming to prior to arriving so I didnt get any surprises. This hotel is very remote in a residential neighborhood among some of the friendliest people I have ever met both young and old alike. The neighborhood is totally safe even at night and I especially recommend finding Ms. Mayleene's right down the road for some local Bajan fare home cooked style.Beware of "Trouble" actually her name is Richelle and she has the best personality and goes out of her way to help you and make you feel like your among family the minute you arrive. We were in a partial sea view loft, room 318 and the view for the money was spectacular. This hotel is simple but adequate and needs a little primping around the edges but totally fine. If you enjoy down to earth people and local flavor this is the place for you. If you need a little more luxury you may want the west coast hotels, but I think you would be cheating yourself of really seeing what Bajan culture and people are all about. The surf is a little rough at times but I found it suitable for swimming. Overall the Silver Point is an average botique hotel with five star people. Special thanks to Mia for the ride in her personal car into the Gap!!

Room Tip: Room 318 great partial sea view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dancin2live
London
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We booked this accommodation for a two week holiday and only stayed the one night. The room we were allocated was filthy, dark and dingy - there was stray hairs in the bed and the door did not lock from the inside! To overcome this the room was fitted with a bolt and chain (both rusty) which gave the room a prison like feel! There was a serious issue with damp in the room. A terrible start to our holiday

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Thamer1
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Silver Point hotel was indeed a great location for the quiet and relaxing Oceanfront we were looking for. The staff was really friendly and the food was wonderful! Barbados is a wonderful Island and I would recommend this place to anyone...

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Our trip to Barbados was truly wonderful due to the diligence and attention given us by the staff at the Silver Point Hotel. Kim,one of the receptionists, was outstanding. She provided us with maps, directions and places to go that were perfect for us. Our room 305 on the first level was close to the front entrance and welcoming desk. We had a partial ocean-front view and were in close proximity to the restaurant and beach. Our room was simple but adequate. There was free wi-fi but you had to be in or near the restaurant to connect to it. Breakfast at the restaurant was good and service at the bar was excellent. A small general store made it convenient to purchase snacks, souvenirs, postcards and other useful items. I highly recommend this hotel to others. You can't beat it for the price.

Room Tip: Room 305 was perfect for us. It provided easy access to the welcoming desk, general store, restauran...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rostrevor Hotel
Rostrevor Hotel
#5 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Coconut Court Beach Hotel

Been to Silver Point Hotel? Share your experiences!