“Average for the money, but beautiful location”
Review of Silver Point Hotel

Silver Point Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Silver Sands
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We went here as a friend was getting married nearby and wanted some time alone and some time with friends at a neighboring resort.

A quick trip through the local streets will have you at the hotel in no time from the airport. Upon arrival to the car park you are assisted by helpful staff to the reception area - where again they are welcoming and wonderful.

The rooms are actually quite basic, but I guess you really just want a clean room with a comfortable bed. The only real downside to the rooms as they are not that sound proof so you can hear and be heard by other people on vacation. Also if you are worried about your belongings, camera passports money etc, the safe does not really allow you to store your items. very small and very shallow - our large camera and out laptop 14" would not fit in it.

The resort itself is nice and in a great location on the beach - a beach full of kite surfers so amazing to watch, but a little dangerous if you are playing in the waves. The shop is open from I think 10am to 6pm and has general products so good.

The restaurant is not bad, but be ready for a long wait. I am based in NY so am spoiled by service to a degree and i understand island time, but 10 minutes to be served, a further 10 minutes for coffee and toast when 3 people in the place is a little ridiculous.

Barbados is far more expensive than i thought - it is actually NYC prices for food and drinks and not as good I have to say. I have paid that before in Belieze, but at least it is on par if not better than a standard restaurant in NYC.

I must stop comparing and take it for what it is!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My boyfriend and I went for 6 nights 7 days to Barbados and we stayed at the Silver Sand Hotel.
The hotel was so lovely, amazing views, service was fantastic and the room was amazing.
Our room was split over two floors and was a part ocean view on the third floor.
In that area of the island I would honestly say this is probably the nicest most luxurious looking hotel in comparisons to all the others nearby.
There was full time security which made me feel very safe.
The hotel was really helpful in suggesting things to do and organising it for us.
Other than eating at the hotel, there are not a huge amount of restaurants or beach bars around but there are a couple.
I would really recommend this hotel and would definitely come back.

Things to do:
• Go to Oistins (Fish Market) on a Friday night for dinner and a dance
• Go to Oistins for lunch and at the end of the market there is a fenced off area where the fisherman moor in on the pier and take in the fish up to the warehouse. Ask for permission to go down the pier, as we saw loads of turtles up close swimming by.
• If you want to swim/snorkel with turtles, go to Carlisle Bay. - I wouldn’t recommend swimming out on your own as there are loads of speed boats whizzing around and it’s not very safe. However there are chaps there with speed boats offering turtle tours, where you can pay them to take you up to the turtle spots to swim with them for half an hour and half an hour on the shipwreck. We paid 20 USD each which was fraction of what we were quoted through one of the turtle tour boats. Plus an hour of snorkeling was more than enough for us.
• Harbor Lights – You must go on a Monday or Wednesday and you can pre-book through your hotel. You pay a set amount for the evening. They picked us up from our hotel in a mini van, we listened to some amazing live music, ate incredible food (we had the steak, it was really tender and delicious) and saw live performances and you could drink as much as you like (The rum punch was very yum but lethal) very fun evening.
• Hire a car – We hired a car and drove around the island for the day after we were a bit sunburnt and in need of shade. The whole island is so different and it was lovely getting to see all the different beaches and terrains.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 289victoriab
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Just back from a 10 days vacation in Barbados with my husband and I only have great things to say about the Silver Point Hotel.
We picked Silver Point because of its location on silver sand beach as my husband is a windsurfer.
I read mixed reviews on trip advisor but I can honestly say we had an amazing holiday.
We booked an ocean view suite but we were upgraded to an ocean front room which was really beatiful. An amazing view of the beach and the ocean and we could wake up every morning to the sounds of waves and amazing sunrise and sunsets in the evenings.
Rooms was spacious with a large four poster bed and a little kitchen equipped with sink, fridge, microeave and cofee machine and kettle.
The room decor was simple but nice, in a sort of colonial carabbian style.
Bathroom was a little small but shower was spacious.
External areas are well kept and clean. The beach is beautiful with amazing colours of white sands and turquoise waters, a real paradise.
Staff was very friendly and helpful, maybe not the fastest service but after all, whats's the rush? We were there to relax.
I read some reviews about poor safety of the surronding neighbourgh but I must disagree. We felt very safe, locals were nice and always helpful with directions and suggestions on places to see and things to do. We felt we were able to experience a the local culture instead of visiting the more tourist areas. We were never arrassed by locals, I was only asked once to buy a coconut but in a very polite manner.
I was going for walks on the beach by myslef while my husband was windsurfing and met a lot of nice people.
A few suggestions:

-Do rent a car. The island is beautiful and worth visiting. We only made the mistake to rent a moke (small local cars with no doors) for the cool effect but the novelty wares off quickly and we were soon tired of climbing in and out of the car in the heat with no air conditioning.

-In the evenings we always drove around to find new restaurants and often went to Oistins at the fish market. We really enjoyed sitting there having dinner among locals during the week when fewer toursits were around, while on fridays it's quite full and there are long waits to sit down and eat, but the music and lively atmosphere are worth a visit anyhow.

-My husband tells me it's an ideal place for kitesurfing but not so much for windsurfing as Wind never reaches great speed. He still managed to get a few days with strong enough winds to have a good time in the waves. Can't really tell you much more about this spot.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2014

After 11 days in another hotel on Barbados East Coast, we went for a four day stay at the Silver Point Hotel. The experience was amazing.

We stayed at an Ocean View Suite, which is not in front of the sea but was really well located. The room is big and has a living that makes you feel at home. The hotel staff is really friendly and the service was quite good too.

The hotel is located on a very nice beach, with a great Kite Surfing and Wind Surfing spot. Nearby there are several reef brakes with perfect surfing conditions, such as Brandons, Freights and many more.

Its recommended to have a car, since the restaurants, shops and gas station are not walking distance.

The hotel restaurant offers really good food and drinks. There are 2 pools and lots of gazebos if you want to hide from the sun but still want to appreciate the view.

The value is very good. Totally recommend Silver Sands Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The location is wonderful and there have been lots of improvement since our last stay . This time we booked the appartment located on the other side next to the spa and found the room very clean, and the weather was great . Overall great but ....we find the staff at the bar needs help.
Ordering breakfast one morning was painful experience . The morning team was rude to us and to the lady sitting at the bar . These ladies were way too moody .
They made me feel I was interrupting them when I said good morning and was never greeted back properly. So we decided to have our breakfast in the room . Only at that moment they must have realised they crossed the line.
I truly prefer the afternoon team-mostly men-behind the bar ...way more relaxed atmosphere. One housekeeper also had an attitude later on the same morning chose the moment I was confortable to dust off the sun bathing beds and asked us to get up . She asked us to "move" very rudely.
Prices A la carte reasonable.
Could have been the full moon on that day, but I met and spoke to many guests who have experienced the same. Perhaps time to give one or two staff a warning...

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank seasunstar
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We are stayed in Silver Point Hotel for 3 nights during our stay in Barbados in partial sea view room. Hotel is very close to airport and is a great spot for kite surfing if you are into this or if you are not just to watch kite surfers in action from the sun lounger beds. Rooms are average size, there is as balcony with table and chairs. Service in the restaurant is not the best but food is good. We loved banana pancakes for breakfast. My partner had burger for lunch which he loved and I had flying fish wrap which was good but a bit too salty. For dinner we had catch of the day which was great. There is no other places nearby, you have to take taxi everywhere. We really liked Champers.
Overall we enjoyed our stay in Silver Point Hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

If anyone has read any of my reviews before then you will know that I write to offer constructive information for travelling kitesurfers / kiteboarders.

I've recently returned from Silver Point after a week's kiting travelling with my partner who does not kite. Barbados has be on my kitesurfing bucket list for a few years and I've very pleased to report that it certainly lived up to my expectations. A week just wasn't long enough to really savour this great location!

So the overview:

We took an Ocean-front room on the second floor - perfect views over the beach and plenty of balcony privacy - Room 112 actually and If we return I will probably ask for the same room as there was a nice wind shadow afforded us by the shape of the building. We found the hotel in very good order given the weathering it has to endure. Reception team were delightful, as were 'most' of the bar and cleaning staff. Food and drink isn't cheap but that's the story all over Barbados if you are in a hotel! The hotel also has it's own residents' shop where you can get cold drinks and snacks at cheaper rates.

The hotel pool area with loungers and 4-poster sunbeds affords fantastic views across the bay and all the kite and windsurf action is right there on your doorstep if you want to observe rather than participate. It really is a perfect setup! If your non-kiting GF is happy to soak up the sun and take it easy then everything is here. If she wants something to do teach her kiting before you come here. Children? probably not suitable in my opinion. This is a sports couple facility through and through.

And so to the sport! Well the beach area is small - 20 kites and it's totally full! Bear in mind 2 schools run lessons from here and people come in from across the island to launch and ride. Beach setup is therefore a claustrophobic exercise and takes a bit of getting used to.

There is a steep incline into the water and the shore-dump can be big. Bide your time and tack out 10 metres between sets to get through the rough stuff before boarding up! From there it's easy. Wind is cross / cross on / cross off from the left and the current runs with the wind at quite an alarming rate! This makes it difficult for learning here - especially as the coastline has several rocky outcrops downwind. I would suggest a comfortable intermediate level rider will be fine here but if you are a relative newbie, it will be quite a challenge!

Water? Well it's like a bath really and there are turtles everywhere. Turtle-dodging will come into play here. The waves were not big in the week I was here maybe 5 -6 foot over the reef but a pleasure to ride backside both on surfboard and twintip for some aerial fun. The reef is quite shallow in places so learn the spot first. Being regular footed I was able to launch some truly monstrous airs off the lips heading out - more fun and more height than I've ever managed before!! Woop Woop!!

Safety/ Well Brian Talma who runs one of the schools does have a rescue boat moored up in the bay but I never saw it used. Get into trouble and you have about 2 miles of coastline and 3 beaches to get yourself back to land. But don't ignore that current - it will take you!!
Jellyfish / sharks / things that bite - sting - irritate - nothing to worry about there!

Wind? Hmmm Maybe this is why I consider this my best trip ever.... 7 days and 17-28 knots every day, all day. I mean come on - Kite nirvana or what!

In the evenings we had such a good time with the locals too. just walk up the street and look out for the No 11 Minibus - there are hundreds of them and we never waited more than about 5 minutes to catch a lift. 2BD (75p) and you get an entertaining ride into Oistins, Worthing Hastings or even Bridgetown. In my opinion you just don't need a car here. Hang with the locals - the 11 bus was a blast every time we got on it and you feel perfectly safe. Eating out every night was great (hotel food is OK but expensive and a bit nouveau cuisine for me) and don't miss Oistins on a Friday night for a little bit of "Street Party".

As I mentioned above, a week just was not long enough to truly enjoy the kiting and the living on this great little island. I will be heading back as soon as I can and can't wait. I feel an annual kite pilgrimage coming on. Am I mad to share this with other kiters? Not really - Silver Point is well advertised now. Just don't book room 112 mid Feb 2015 OK!

Room Tip: Ocean Front 2nd or 3rd floor recommended
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dover Beach Hotel
Dover Beach Hotel
#3 of 4 in Dover
Courtyard by Marriott Bridgetown, Barbados

Been to Silver Point Hotel? Share your experiences!