I don't normally write reviews (this is my first on trip advisor) but I felt compelled to after a 2 night stay in the Houston House hotel while on a business trip. In summary the hotel rooms are average at best, the food is way over priced and very poor as is the service. If you want a hotel in Livingston area my advice would be look elsewhere.
For more detail on why I came to the conclusion above I have split my review in to 3 categories below.
The rooms are very overpriced and at over £100 pounds a night breakfast was not included - that was another £17.50 or £15.50 if you bought vouchers at reception. The costs don't end there if you want the bottle of water they give you in your room its costs £4.50. The hotel charges like a wounded bull.
There were 4 of us staying and the rooms all varied with 3 of us in the newer part of the hotel and 1 in the older part. I had a look in the older part of the hotel and the room looked very dated and run down with creaking floorboards and the most vile curtains I have ever seen. My room was a double and was clean enough but nothing special. The bathroom was very small and the water pressure was terrible. On the second day it took almost 20 minutes to get any water out the shower - I almost gave up !!! I mentioned this on checkout and was told that someone would look at it. Not very comforting as I was on my way out.
This is where the hotel really let its self down. We booked a table and when we arrived were placed in a side dining room as there was an event in the main dining room. The waiters were very unfriendly and after ordering drinks we were asked if we wanted bread but if we did they now charged for it. We said we would have some for the table to be told that it was £1.75 per person for as much as you wanted but the waiter had to hand it out. The one person in our party who wanted bread therefore asked for four bits only to be asked by the waiter if she was joking. It was then a very uncomfortable situation which ended up in the waiter handing out two bits of bread, which ended up being stale. The menu was fairly limited and we all ordered different starters all of which were overpriced and very average. For the mains I ordered a steak which at nearly £25 did not even come with potatoes, chips or even a salad. The chips were £3.50 extra and were soggy and greasy. I asked for my steak cooked medium and it came rare. By the time a new one arrived the rest of the table had finished their meals.
Breakfast was equally disappointing and one of our party were told off for coming down at 6.50am when breakfast started a 7.00am. None of our party thought the food was worth £5 let alone £15.50.
I cannot comment on the Spa as I did not get the chance to attend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in a secluded spot near Livingston just west of Edinburgh, and set in 22 acres of beautiful woodlands, Macdonald Houstoun House is the perfect country hotel and retreat. Once visited by Mary Queen of Scots, the historic building has the classic grace of a 16th century Tower House. Inside, 70 rooms blend luxury and character, with a unique feature bedroom in the Tower For food-lovers, the Jeremy Wares at Houstoun House restaurant has two AA Rosettes for excellent local ingredients, expertly cooked in season. In the cellar, the cosy Vaulted Bar is the perfect spot for a drink or afternoon tea. Our Leisure Club and Spa have ample scope for working off the calories and a host of rejuvenating treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Houstoun House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Houstoun House Hotel Livingston
- Macdonald Houstoun Hotel
- Macdonald Houstoun Livingston
- Houston House Hotel
- Macdonald Houstoun House Uphall, West Lothian