“Houston Hotel - great”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Forfar, United Kingdom
“Houston Hotel - great”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for Valentines day, the check in was easy despite arriving at the same time as a wedding party (which included Susan Boyle, random), our room was very nice and the wine and petals was a nice touch. Very nice being able to swim in the pool while the snow was falling outside. The meal was very nice although I was still hungry after it, just not enough on the plate for the price, although the breakfast made up for it, a good choice of hot or cold.
We stayed here on an itison deal.

1 Thank Derek L
Herve B, General Manager at Macdonald Houstoun House, responded to this review, 2 December 2015

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I have just returned from a spa day and then meal at Jeremy wares. Spa day was great - treatments fantastic and lunch was perfect. Then onto our meal at Jeremy wares...... Very very disappointing. The portions were absolutely tiny and tasteless. A blue cheese and walnut salad consisted of a few lettuce leaves, one cube of blue cheese cut into 4 and 1 walnut quartered - all for the princely sum of £8.50. They must have found the smallest chickens known to man for the breast of chicken main which was dry and tasteless and came with soggy skin on top - yuck. The service was pretty hopeless too and the dining room was cold. This restaurant cannot claim to be fine dining nor can it charge these ridiculous prices for food and service of this standard. I think Houston house need to visit some fine dining places and they will realise just how wrong they have got it with this restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Laura J
speyside
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have /stayed any times but the last time so many mistakes and restaurant staff so unfriendly! We also ordered room service and they were actually rude!!! So we will never go back !we go to Edinburgh at least once a month so they lose out ! Please tell restaurant staff its ok to smile!?!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank essySpeyside
Scotland
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Very happy to use an ITISON voucher deal for dinner, bed & breakfast at this lovely hotel.
Having used Houston House for our wedding reception last year & had an amazing experience, we are glad to say that on the whole we were not disappointed at returning as a regular customer.
We were given a lovely quiet bedroom in one of the annex buildings. It was spotlessly clean with fabulous king size bed, tea/coffee making facilities, toiletries in the bathroom & the usual hair dyer, trouser press etc. Plenty of space in the room with 2 arm chairs, ample wardrobe space, etc. just fab. We also had breakfast in our room, which @ a £3 tray charge is a bargain. Good quality cooked or continental breakfast of your choice, just can't fault it.
Now to the issues:
1) Jeremy Wares Restaurant. If your dinner isn't included, it's VERY EXPENSIVE. £8.00 for a starter, £18.00 - £25.00 for a main course. This doesn't include potatoes or vegetables which are £3.50 extra PER PORTION, which I really object to. Also, a SMALL glass of wine = £6.95!!!!! Why there has to be a massive mark up on alcohol, I have yet to discover the answer.
Thankfully we had a £30 allowance for dinner which enabled us to have a starter & main course each. Although the staff are lovely, we waited 45 MINUTES for our starter. When it arrived, my husband had 6 oysters which he said were very good. I had the pulled pork terrine, which was flavourless. Mains, my husband had fish, which he said was very good. I had chicken, which again was flavourless. Our waitress did ask for feedback on our experience, as she explained it was a new menu & they'd received good feedback so far. I had to be honest & report my dishes as totally flavourless. The waitress took this comment on board & asked how I suggest improve it. She said she would pass on my comments & I was very impressed by her professional manner.
2) Spa/Leisure facilities:
Currently under going refurbishment. No official male changing room when we were there. No staff around to help direct my husband as to where to go & change. Signage very confusing or non existent. Couldn't find how to access the pool from the male toilets where he eventually chose to get changed due to lack of staff & confusing signage. Made for a stressful experience as it seemed only access to the pool was via the ladies changing room????? He felt VERY uncomfortable with this option & actually gave up trying to find staff/access the pool, asking me if we could just leave,which we did, having not used the facilities. Very disappointing.
3) Reception staff:
Normally we find the staff to be lovely here, but on this occasion, we felt the young girl at reception required some training. We reported an issue with a faulty toilet flush in our bathroom on departure, all she said was "ok". No apology, no acknowledgement of the issue, no indication of what she was going to do to resolve this issue for the next guest.
4) Disabled access:
Ground floor of the hotel accessible with accessible toilet. Everywhere else has LOTS of steps/stairs. Not suitable if you have mobility difficulties. Not sure if ANY of the bedrooms are accessible by wheelchair.
Having said all of the above, we love Houston House & will return if we can get a special deal.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have just returned from a two night stay. Check in was very professional and quick. Nice room but take your own cases. Room No 36 very clean with a bottle of wine and fresh fruit provided. Changed the wine from red to white, no problem again. I then discovered I only had one wine glass, one robe and one pair of slippers, again no problem getting this resolved. Went for a swim, pool ok, however they are upgrading the changing facilities at present, ladies are still the same, gents have no toilet or shower facilities and have been built next to the reception desk. I understand work is being carried out so again not a problem. Now the down side, we were booked into the restaurant for evening dinner, even though we were not in a hurry waiting a hour for a plate of soup was a bit long, and only after the soup arrived were we offered any bread. The main course wasn’t too long a wait but I have never come across a chicken as small in all my life, it was not even a kiddies portion. Thankfully the desert was of a good size which made me think I had eaten a three course meal. I would make sure that you have had nibbles in your room before eating, really poor quality. Not the same can be said about the breakfast, service was very good and a lovely warm and fresh full English was eaten. Overall I would recommend staying at the hotel but would recommend eating dinner out.

1 Thank AlfieandElla
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Spa day followed by dinner in Jeremy Wares restaurant.

On arrival the reception manager in the spa was most helpful and informative.

Spa treatments were very very good and staff were really lovely enthusiastic re treatments and products - a credit to Houston House.

The spa is having a big refurbishment so currently the changing facilities are less than optimal and the place was cold especially on arrival despite a burning gas fire in lounge.

Lunch was absolutely lovely

Swimming pool, sauna and steam room were fine.

Then onto Jeremy Wares restaurant -well unfortunately I totally agree with previous review AVERAGE!!

Scotland in February is cold but I would have expected the dining area to be comfortable -it was cold!

Starters - blue cheese walnut salad turned out to be mostly lettuce leaves with only a hint of what should have been the main ingredients -very disappointing and overpriced , salmon was ok and the third guest had pulled pork terrine which was ok.
We were asked if we would like bread- surely a restaurant which makes renowned claims should ensure the guests are provided with bread?
Mains 2 x chicken and 1monkfish.
Spiced monkfish was tasty but there was only 2 tiny medallions of fish and it was only warm and at a cost in excess of £21.
Desserts were reasonably good followed by a cheese board.

In my recent experience of dining in good restaurants(castle terrace,tom kitchen) the waiting staff are trained to explain the food and cheeses. These establishments also offer pre starters and amuse bouche. Perhaps I had higher expectations of this restaurant?

Waiting staff never returned to ask if we wanted coffee -it was as though they disappeared.

I think the waiting staff are poorly trained and that should be rectified as a matter of urgency.

West Lothian needs a high quality eating experience and this has such potential but at present does not cut the mustard.

Mrs E Sinclair

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank macsin
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

A very nice sounding menu, however the minute, flavourless portions failed to live up to expectations. The waiting staff were inattentive and in my opinion the 'fine dining' prices were not matched with a fine dining experience. Extremely disappointed and will not return.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jennifer L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uphall
Dakota Edinburgh
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
Macdonald Holyrood Hotel
#55 of 147 in Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,932 reviews

Been to Macdonald Houstoun House? Share your experiences!