It is with great disappointment that I write this review. My sister-in-law (Fiona) and I were due to enjoy a relaxing spa day including treatments tomorrow. My sister-in -law has enjoyed several spa days at different MacDonald hotels and has always been very impressed with the facilities and friendliness of the staff.
Knowing that I expect very high standards Fiona had booked a spa day complete with three different treatments for us to indulgence in at this renowned hotel. We took the day off work especially for this. Following booking and payment with a third party we were asked to contact the hotel directly to confirm our treatment times. My sister-in- law, Fiona Lambie phoned the spa directly and was informed that the booking was confirmed and we would be contacted later by Emma with details of treatment times as she was the only member of staff to book treatments. Fiona did think this was bit strange that only one member of staff could confirm treatment times but had faith in the MacDonald chain and had no reason to believe there would be a problem. Fiona then awaited a phone call that did not come.
Having not heard from Emma or any other member of staff from the MacDonald spa to confirm our treatment times by the following morning, Fiona phoned yet again. Unbelievably, this time, she was informed that there was no booking in our names and the spa was indeed full and had no space to offer any treatments for the day we had booked for. Fiona was informed that Emma had contacted her on Saturday to cancel the booking. This phone call did not happen!!! So after confirming booking on Saturday lunchtime and receiving no contact at all either by phone call or email by Sunday lunchtime we were informed there was no booking now! If we hadn’t taken the initiative to phone again on Sunday to confirm our treatment times we would have turned up on Monday morning excited and looking forward to a full day of relaxation and pampering.
You can imagine our disappointment and complete dismay at how this could happen with no explanation?!
I then telephoned the spa directly and spoke to Mark and asked to speak to Emma personally and was told that she was absent today. I enquired when it would be possible to speak to her, perhaps Monday, to be told she would be in meetings all day?! I was not at all happy with this response. I wanted to speak to Emma directly as Fiona was informed on Saturday lunchtime that Emma was the only person who could confirm treatment times and it was indeed Emma who had supposedly contacted my sister-in-law to cancel the day before. Mark did apologise for this but informed me that Emma is not the only person who can confirm treatments so why couldn’t our treatment times have been confirmed by the original phone call???
In this MacDonald hotel it seems that not all staff are trained to confirm treatment times. It is very disappointing service from a top hotel??!!
When queried what would have happened if we had turned up on Monday morning Mark, the spa staff member replied that the question was a rhetorical one. Disgusted by this response I went on to ask why we were not contacted if our spa day was no longer confirmed and had indeed been cancelled. I was then told that because Fiona had phoned on Sunday morning she had been told of the cancellation. So we only found out that our day had been cancelled because Fiona had phoned on Sunday to confirm treatment times as we hadn’t heard from any member of staff.
So there was no phone call or email confirming cancellation.
In summary, your spa break can be confirmed and cancelled within 24 hours, not all staff are trained in confirming treatment times, staff do not take responsibility in informing you of any cancellation and you are not able to speak to the one member of staff who was dealing with your booking.
Needless to say we would not advise anyone to book a spa day at this particular MacDonald hotel.
We are extremely disappointed to have no spa day booked after taking the day off work especially!!!!!!!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in a secluded spot near Livingston just west of Edinburgh, and set in 22 acres of beautiful woodlands, Macdonald Houstoun House is the perfect country hotel and retreat. Once visited by Mary Queen of Scots, the historic building has the classic grace of a 16th century Tower House. Inside, 70 rooms blend luxury and character, with a unique feature bedroom in the Tower For food-lovers, the Jeremy Wares at Houstoun House restaurant has two AA Rosettes for excellent local ingredients, expertly cooked in season. In the cellar, the cosy Vaulted Bar is the perfect spot for a drink or afternoon tea. Our Leisure Club and Spa have ample scope for working off the calories and a host of rejuvenating treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LateRooms, Agoda, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Macdonald Houstoun House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Houstoun House Hotel Livingston
- Macdonald Houstoun Hotel
- Macdonald Houstoun Livingston
- Houston House Hotel
- Macdonald Houstoun House Uphall, West Lothian