“Spa Day”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Uphall
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Spa Day”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Excellent spa treatments. Hour long full body massage and hour long facial using Elemis products. Very relaxing. Used pool, Diana and steam room. Clean changing facilities and showers. Lunch was included in deal. Good choice of 4 set menus. Food was lovely. My only complaint was that I found the hotel cold. After swimming etc this was very uncomfortable. All in all though I had a wonderful day and would recommend the spa day

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Bernc0n
Herve B, General Manager at Macdonald Houstoun House, responded to this review, 2 December 2015

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful night. From check in to check out everything was great. The food in the restaurant was fantastic at both dinner and breakfast and our room was spacious and extremely comfortable. One I would definitely recommend. X

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fififlowerpot131081
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

It is with great disappointment that I write this review. My sister-in-law (Fiona) and I were due to enjoy a relaxing spa day including treatments tomorrow. My sister-in -law has enjoyed several spa days at different MacDonald hotels and has always been very impressed with the facilities and friendliness of the staff.
Knowing that I expect very high standards Fiona had booked a spa day complete with three different treatments for us to indulgence in at this renowned hotel. We took the day off work especially for this. Following booking and payment with a third party we were asked to contact the hotel directly to confirm our treatment times. My sister-in- law, Fiona Lambie phoned the spa directly and was informed that the booking was confirmed and we would be contacted later by Emma with details of treatment times as she was the only member of staff to book treatments. Fiona did think this was bit strange that only one member of staff could confirm treatment times but had faith in the MacDonald chain and had no reason to believe there would be a problem. Fiona then awaited a phone call that did not come.
Having not heard from Emma or any other member of staff from the MacDonald spa to confirm our treatment times by the following morning, Fiona phoned yet again. Unbelievably, this time, she was informed that there was no booking in our names and the spa was indeed full and had no space to offer any treatments for the day we had booked for. Fiona was informed that Emma had contacted her on Saturday to cancel the booking. This phone call did not happen!!! So after confirming booking on Saturday lunchtime and receiving no contact at all either by phone call or email by Sunday lunchtime we were informed there was no booking now! If we hadn’t taken the initiative to phone again on Sunday to confirm our treatment times we would have turned up on Monday morning excited and looking forward to a full day of relaxation and pampering.
You can imagine our disappointment and complete dismay at how this could happen with no explanation?!
I then telephoned the spa directly and spoke to Mark and asked to speak to Emma personally and was told that she was absent today. I enquired when it would be possible to speak to her, perhaps Monday, to be told she would be in meetings all day?! I was not at all happy with this response. I wanted to speak to Emma directly as Fiona was informed on Saturday lunchtime that Emma was the only person who could confirm treatment times and it was indeed Emma who had supposedly contacted my sister-in-law to cancel the day before. Mark did apologise for this but informed me that Emma is not the only person who can confirm treatments so why couldn’t our treatment times have been confirmed by the original phone call???
In this MacDonald hotel it seems that not all staff are trained to confirm treatment times. It is very disappointing service from a top hotel??!!
When queried what would have happened if we had turned up on Monday morning Mark, the spa staff member replied that the question was a rhetorical one. Disgusted by this response I went on to ask why we were not contacted if our spa day was no longer confirmed and had indeed been cancelled. I was then told that because Fiona had phoned on Sunday morning she had been told of the cancellation. So we only found out that our day had been cancelled because Fiona had phoned on Sunday to confirm treatment times as we hadn’t heard from any member of staff.

So there was no phone call or email confirming cancellation.
In summary, your spa break can be confirmed and cancelled within 24 hours, not all staff are trained in confirming treatment times, staff do not take responsibility in informing you of any cancellation and you are not able to speak to the one member of staff who was dealing with your booking.
Needless to say we would not advise anyone to book a spa day at this particular MacDonald hotel.
We are extremely disappointed to have no spa day booked after taking the day off work especially!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Nell M
Herve B, General Manager at Macdonald Houstoun House, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a reply. Unfortunately your reservation made through a third party came to the spa when all appointments were already full. We contacted you as soon as this was realised. We close our availability with third parties when the spa is full to avoid such incident, unfotunately your reservation came when completing this process. Of course, all money was refunded right away but again I apologise for the inconvenince this clearly has caused you.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

We held our wedding at Houstoun House on 21 March 2014 and could not be happier with our big day; I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to all the staff that made our day special and memorable.

Special mention to Catherine Coleman and Debbie Catchlove who provided a professional and friendly service, responding to our many queries throughout the planning stages and always very accommodating.

The Master of Ceremonies Gianni was excellent on the day ensuring it ran like clockwork. He also kept me well informed throughout the day which was much appreciated.

Prior to booking the Houstoun House we had visited numerous other venues but none had the same wow factor as Houstoun. The venue created a truly magical atmosphere which has been echoed by many of our guests. Our guests have not stopped raving about the excellent food which added to making the day perfect.

We have been so impressed with the venue that we felt the need to submit a Vows award(Voted Outstanding Wedding Supplier) as in my opinion special recognition is deserved.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark H
Mark,
Thank you very much for the very kind comments on your review and rest assured it has been well shared with my team. The hotel is a beautiful set up and wonderful back drop for a wedding but it is extremely pleasing to read you had such a great day made special by the hospitality of the team.
kindest regards
Reviewed 31 March 2014

my nephew was getting married in this hotel so we booked an overnight stay so that we could enjoy the wedding and did not have to drive back to glasgow as my husband has atheritis and sometimes gets sore during the course of the night .we got booked in early as the wedding was starting at 1pm ,we got attended to right away and told which way to go to our room avoiding stairs as my hubby walks with a stick ,the room was very big and had ample seats telly ect the breakfast the next morning was great we had a great night at the wedding and the staff could not do enough for us food was good the only drawback was the price drink 3 vodca coke plus 1 coke £22 a bit overpriced otherwise we could not fault this hotel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am delighted you had a most enjoyable stay and a great time at your nephew's wedding. The hotel has an ideallic setting for a wedding and thank you for the great comments about the team.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I were married at The Houstoun House last March and wanted to stay again for our anniversary. We have very happy memories of the hotel and staying a year later, the hotel didn't disappoint.
The staff are fantastic, so friendly and helpful. They were kind enough to make our stay personal with a card and chocolates in our room on arrival and a personalised menu for us to have as a keepsake. The meal in the restaurant was delicious, the lamb cooked to perfection! Breakfast the following morning was also great, with lots of choice.
I absolutely love this hotel and hope to visit it again on future anniversaries!

• Stayed March 2014
Suzie,

It was so nice to welcome you back for your Anniversay, a year already!! Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review and rest assured I have shared the team. They are very passionate and it is always rewarding to hear when it is so well aprreciated.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

kindest regards
Terneuzen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed here for three nights. All I can say is that my stay wasn't more than average, enormously overpriced food which wasn't all that good to begin with. Then returning to a room without WIFI -- the hotel is set in an old building, but I wasn't aware that they would actually take that 'dark ages theme' this far....

Room Tip: Take a room close to the reception if possible, then you might get free WIFI