“Very warm welcome and friendly staff”

Macdonald Houstoun House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Uphall
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
“Very warm welcome and friendly staff”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked this very last minute for my husbands birthday. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by Anna on reception and this set the scene for our stay. Our room was clean and comfortable with a four poster bed and my only complaint would be that the bathroom was rather small. There was a problem with the fire alarm due to a burst pipe and we were out in the car park for about 20 mins however that is just one of these things and didn't spoil our stay in any way. Every member of staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent and cooked to order. The hotel sits in beautiful grounds and we will definitely be back for another stay in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Herve B, General Manager at Macdonald Houstoun House, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Margo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your very kind comments.

Again please accept my most sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the evacuation. The burst pipe issue is now fully resolved and I am glad it didn't spoil your visit. Rest assured your great feedback has been shared with Anna and the rest of the team.

We look forward to welocming you back sometime in the near future.

Kindest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
speyside
Reviewed 29 June 2014

we stayed again after deciding no! Many previous stays! we didn't eat this time but flew in late! Fabulous room! Amazing and helpful! previously we had had a room with our dog! Very run down! This tme upgraded! Nice especially as we have a loyalty card

Room Tip: In the main building -rooms have been upgraded!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am so happy you came nack to visit Macdonald Hosutoun House and that you had such a great return visit. It means a lot to us and please rest assured your feedback has been shared with my team.

Kindest regards.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I wanted to take the time to post on here the gratitude of my wife and I to the staff at Houstoun House. The food was mindblowing, Anna and the team couldn't be more helpful, and we even got a class of bubbly with some champagne for my wife's birthday.

The hotel itself is lovely, the room was wonderfully comfortable, the staff friendlier than you could ask for and the food divine.

We were staying over the night before a wedding, and had a disaster with some items we had forgotten to pack - Anna and the hotel staff went the extra mile to help us, advising on the best place to go to and even calling ahead to check availability. I'm only sorry we didn't get to use the spa on this occasion due to time pressures.

I would heartily recommend Houstoun House and the staff and facilities there - and will most certainly be going back.

Bravo, and thanks!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and for such fantastic feedback.

It is so pleasing to read the comments about the friendly and professional service of the team and most especially from Anna.

When you are next planning a return visit, do not hesitate to contact me personally on gm.houstounhouse@macdonald-hotels.co.uk when I will be happy to organise your reservation and create great memories.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We needed a hotel close to our family in Linlithgow, Houston House proved to be an ideal location.
Whilst it is mainly a wedding venue the facilities are excellent , wonderful pool and spa. Quirky bar serving good, if a little overpriced, bar food.
Bedrooms spacious and well appointed, welcome plate of fruit and a bottle of wine included.
Staff helpful and polite.
Downside breakfast was not included, priced a at £15 if booked night before or £19 if not, very expensive , we did not partake

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and for the very positive comments following your recent visit.

It was great to read you enjoyed the hotel facilities and that the team looked after you well.

Very many thanks for choosing Macdonald Houstoun House Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Stayed for 2 nights, midweek, in June 2014 during a business trip. Whilst it was at the higher end of what we were looking to pay, it was worth every penny.

This was mainly down to the food, which was perfect in every sense. A nice mix of fish and meat based dishes, cooked to a modern and tradtional scottish standard. The service was top notch (we pratically had our own waiter).

The breakfast sealed the deal for us, with the widest selection of salmon, cooked and continental breakfast.

The spa, gym, pool, rooms and everything else was as you expect from a MacDonald, but I just feel this place had a wee edge to it. Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Andrew,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We do take great pride in our food offering and it is a pleasure to read you enjoyed your dinner and our award winning breakfast.

I hope business will take you back in the area and it will be pleasure to welcoming you back to Macdonald Houstoun House.

Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I had our wedding here on 30th May 2014 and we were not disappointed. Debbie (Wedding Co-ordinator) and Catherine (Events Manager) made sure everything was how we wanted it and to top if off we even had the ceremony outside (this was our first choice and they made the decision an hour before) which was just perfect. The wedding meal was fantastic and buffet was too. Everyone loved the food and really enjoyed themselves. Suzy our MOC was great and made sure everything went to plan and was on time from the meal to cutting cake and first dances.

The room my husband and I stayed in was lovely and clean - and huge! We really liked the room.

This is an amazing venue for a wedding and we are so glad we chose Houstoun House for ours. The staff are fantastic and extremely helpful, and the food is lovely. Will definitely be back on a regular basis and on 30th May each year for dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Catherine,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and again many congratulations to you and Paul on your recent wedding. It was a pleasure looking after you and your guests. So glad the weather held well and that we were able to hold the ceremony outside. Rest assured your great comments about the team have been shared and especially to Catheine, Debbie and Suzy.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back for your first anniversary celebrations.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed two nights at Houston House and booked an executive room, which was huge and very comfortable. It was well appointed and the bathroom was spotlessly clean. I believe this was one of the more recently upgraded rooms, although I found it bizarre the bathroom door had no lock on it. The package included a bottle of red wine, fruit and chocolate truffles for the first night, which was a nice touch. The inclusive breakfast was very good, although friends who had booked on a room only basis were informed breakfast would cost over £19 each !! Ouch !! It's not worth that and even if we opted for a course not on the standard menu ( in our case eggs, muffin and hollandaise) there was a supplement to pay.

When I tried to book our stay, the hotel website wasn't working. I knew the price of the package from LateRooms and as they have a price match guarantee, I phoned the hotel direct. First of all they tried to flog us dinner, B&B at £460, then B&B for two nights at £330 when LateRooms would charge £256 for the two nights for the same deal. After a bit of haggling and some reluctance on their part they agreed to a price match, but it had to be on a non refundable basis. That's fine, but it did make me wary. Also, they stated that the credit card charge was £3 - fine but it would be applied to every single transaction made by credit card if not charged to our room. All this made me somewhat uneasy.

On checkout, the bill seemed a lot higher than I expected. On closer inspection, we had been charged for food and drink on our second night when we were out at friends. They removed the item when I pointed this out, after I had asked to see the signed receipt. It transpired that someone had indeed ordered the food and drink but had then walked out, so presumably the staff had simply charged our room in the hope we wouldn't notice.

Otherwise, we enjoyed the hotel and its beautiful grounds and had a very pleasant stay. There were a couple of wedding receptions on the go and the guests seemed to enjoy themselves without disrupting the other residents.

Overall, I think this is a good hotel, but MacDonald Hotels need to review their pricing policies - they make me think twice before visiting any other of their hotels in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and that you had a most enjoyable visit to the hotel.

I am sorry some other guest charged something to your room account but I am glad the team rectified this very quickly.

We like to be transparent about our charges and want to give the option to pay by debit card to avoid credit card charge.

We regularly check our prices with four star hotel competitors to ensure we compare well and will continue monitoring for your benefit.

When you are next planning a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me personally when I will be happy to organise your resrvation and make your stay most memorable.

Kindest regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Uphall
Mercure Livingston
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
Livingston Lodge Hotel
Livingston Lodge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Livingston

Been to Macdonald Houstoun House? Share your experiences!