“a little gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grenache Restaurant
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary, European, British, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Grenache has been open for 5 years, One under the new management of Mike & Karen. Grenache is an intimate 34 cover restaurant in the suburbs of Salford and proud! We were awarded with 2 AA Rosettes for culinary excellence in March 2014 and a further recommendation for excellence in the Michelin Guide in 2015. We beat off stiff competition to win The Good Food Guide's Best North West Restaurant Award in 2013. Not only do we serve fantastic food but we also pride ourselves on our level of service. We offer an Early Market Menu, available all evening, Wednesday & Thursday, and until 6.00Pm on Fridays and Saturdays. We also offer a 'blind' tasting menu which is excellent value for seven courses at only £49.50 Per head.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“a little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have eaten here on a number of occasions and the food and service are always excellent and far exceed any other restaurant in the nearby area.

• Visited March 2014

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Repeat review needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I first dined here in Dec and have since returned twice since. My 1st visit I reviewed on here. My 2 nd I went for my birthday with friends and husband all whose it was the first time here. The comments were all the same best food and service they had ever received. My third visit was with another couple on Valentines day again amazing, fantastic food and a great night. My review after 3 evenings here all very successful with different company each time are wowed. I was prompted to put a review after reading review "confrontational dining" which shocked me. I find Huss charming but very proud and rightly so of Grenache. My main reaction to the review however is to the the staff being poorly trained!!! There was one very young lad who was clearly new on Valentines day(around the same time as this reviewer) who made my evening. This young man made some minor errors, as a mother I could see his youth and nerves. I have to say I have NEVER seen such patience by the other members of staff who helped him in his training. Huss nor anyone scolded or embarrassed this young man but advised him which was so refreshing to see. This inexperience did not put me off visiting like it did the other reviewer but can not wait to see his performance and enhancement on my next visit. I feel I do not need to review Grenache on every visit as there are enough glowing comments. I just wanted to point out as a customer to watch young people being trained is not a blight on my evening out but very refreshing to see them being treated with respect. I will be back to this amazing little gem that I recommend to everyone I speak to and now agree when they go here.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Michelle J
Leeds, United Kingdom
“I am not sure I want to share this A brilliant find - only time I've welcomed a traffic jam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We were travelling from west to East on a jam packed M62 that was slowly grinding to a halt. So we decided to take a detour and have dinner. We were really lucky to find this little jewel (thanks to app on the husbands smartphone). We couldn't have done any better and coming from me that is praise indeed. I am a bit of a foodie and have high standards. I expect an establishment to do what it says on the tin. And Grenache delivers on every count. So much so that I am not sure that I want to tell you about it but rather keep it all to myself.

The restaurant is only small and you could quite easily miss it. I'm oh so glad we didn't. We were lucky too to get a table as it seems very popular from the conversations we overheard.
You are welcomed the minute you arrive by the Maître D. He has that air, a welcome return to the values of knowledgeable service and attentiveness of a professional restaurateur. He is supported by a team of young staff who were pleasant and provided excellent service unobtrusively. The restaurant is small but is laid out so that although you are quite close to your fellow diners you do have an air of privacy.

But the star of the show is the food. It is excellent and very very well presented. From the amuse bouche of smoked salmon fish-cakes with crème fraiche and chives to the excellent starters we had - mine a lovely smoked haddock risotto (which they slightly tweaked to suit my particular tastes) to the parfait with toasted brioche which my husband declared the best he had ever tasted and he knows his parfait; trust me.. It's a dish he has had in top notch establishments across the globe. But the star of the show for me was my assiette of lamb. Several cuts of lamb cooked properly and beautifully presented on a lovely bed sauce, garnished with leek and whoe baby carrot . From the rump to the cutlet, to the sweetbreads and more; all melted in the mouth and were equally delicious. The dish came with a side pot of stock baked potatoes that were rich, hearty and truly full of flavour. A wonderful dish indeed, My husband too was extremely happy with his choice of pot roasted chicken on a bed of mushroom risotto. The chicken was succulent and the risotto packed with bags of flavour. All the other dishes that we saw fellow diners receiving looked equally good and we heard lots of contended noises of happy diners from the other tables. We certainly were.

We decided we couldn't miss desert especially when we had seen some of what was on offer going to other tables.

A nice touch was the dessert amuse bouche that we received before the puddings we chose; a very nice lemon possett topped with fresh raspberries. I make a mean lemon posset myself so it needs to be good to receive praise from me.

We particularly liked the idea of deep fried plums that we saw being placed in front of someone at a nearby table. I however went for a rhubarb panna cotta that proved an excellent choice - a well flavoured, dish with the right level of wobbliness! It was accompanied by a subtly flavoured ice-cream and a ginger crisp and was garnished with fresh and dried rhubarb. Wonderful. My husband had a pineapple and coconut rice. This was a little different. The rice was deep fried in what seemed a type of doughnut a bit like a rum bahba . It was serviced on a bed of sweet pineapple. It would have been a little sweet for me but he was well satisfied with his choice.

My husband dined off the early decadence menu £20-95 which is excellent value for the quality of food on offer. I dined from the a la carte menu and thought everything I had was good value - we have paid much more and ate less well. With two glasses of a very nice house merlot, two bottles of perroni and a coffee came to a very reasonable £73-50 and well worth every farthing too. A delightful meal, well served and presented beautifully. And we believe they have just won two rossettes. Well done they are very well deserved.

• Visited March 2014
Pwllheli
“Wonderful food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

If you don't mind paying more for an excellent meal, I can recommend Grenache. Delicious and imaginative food, comprehensive wine choices and friendly staff make a night out here an occasion.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Barbara G
GrenacheRestaurant, Manager at Grenache Restaurant, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thanks Barbara. Glad you enjoy it.
Lindsey
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant Sunday meal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We went for a very pleasant meal today at Grenache, great soufflé starter for me, sea bass for my wife and Tomato & basil soup for Maisy, for mains my wife had a roast beef Sunday dinner which was a generous serving, Maisy & I had sirloin, all meals were spot on and the nice touch is the amuse-bouche served between courses, I have no doubt it is the best restaurant in a 10 mile radius. I have read a small amount of negative reviews and wonder what planet some people come from.

Visited March 2014
Hi Steve

I have just read your review and your final comment really did make me smile. We have had a good week here, having just been awarded 2 AA Rosettes and your comments have just topped our great week off. Please come back again soon.
Lindsey