“Family friendly, flexible, welcoming, go out of their way.”

The White Horse Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$49
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The White Horse in Boughton is a historic pub restaurant with more than its fair share to offer guests. Not only is this ancient coaching inn mentioned in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, but its location in a glorious village surrounded by hop field lined walks to Mount Ephraim Gardens and the site of The Peasant's Last Revolt recommend this excellent stop before one even ventures inside. As you may well hope, The White Horse is beautifully traditional inside, with roaring log fires, low-beamed ceilings and a cosy, intimate feel. Meanwhile, outside beautiful landscaping has turned a pleasant pub garden in to an Englishmans dream. Locally renowned chefs are creating quite a stir in the kitchen with locally sourced food which has elevated The White Horse to gastropub levels, providing guests with the opportunity to enjoy high level food in the most comfortable of atmospheres. Sunday roasts take place weekly and occasionally the restaurant hosts live music events.
Kiev, Ukraine
“Family friendly, flexible, welcoming, go out of their way.”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We originally booked two nights for a weekend away, and ended up having to take a poorly 5yr old with us. Hotel were hugely accommodating, set up an extra bed, etc. the owner's family live next door, and the three charming children played with our daughter. At one point she was behind the counter at reception colouring in! Food was exceptional, not fussy, all freshly cooked, very tasty. Rooms were fine, functional, we hardly spent any time in them.

1 Thank TVRav

dargate
“restaurant”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

atmosphere not warm/food could be better, staff polite

Visited November 2011
RamsgateOrange, Owner at The White Horse Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Hello and thanks for your review. It is an incredibly short review with very little detail. I noticed that you have only reviewed 2 businesses, both on the same day and the other is one of our competitors in the village, which is a much more wordy and raving review! And we are ranked No. 1 in the village.
Our restaurant is spacious and full of quirky beams, wooden and slate flooring, and has a lovely open fire. Perhaps it was a cold November day and you felt there was a chill in the restaurant? However, it doesn't take long to warm up.
Our food is receiving absolutely fantastic reviews, so it would be good to know what you had and how it could be better so we could improve.
And I am glad my staff were polite - but this is something one should expect from every business is it not? My team are also receiving excellent feedback for being exceptionally warm, friendly and helpful.
thanks again for your feedback
lincs, England
“great pub with delicious food”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We were staying at the nearby Travelodge and were told 2 places which served good food - this was the one we found. We were a little early for food but were welcomed by a lady who suggested we might want to move into the section nearer the fire while we perused the menu. There was a blackboard above the fire with a selection of desserts and another blackboard with specials listed. Our table was right by the fire which was very convincing but actually gas! I stared with the king prawns cooked in garlic and chilli and had steak for my main. It was cooked perfectly and accompanied by a flat mushroom with stilton butter, chips and a salad. My husband had chicken breast stuffed with cheese and chorizo which was served with a potato rosti and vegetables. The food was delicious and one of the best meals I have had in ages.
The pub itself was characterful, with comfortable seating, beams and the open fire (fake) They also have 13 (I think) ensuite rooms and I would be tempted to stay here if we are in the area again.

1 Thank merlymoo
Caythorpe, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem slightly off the beaten track, but well worth tracking down”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My wife and I were recommended this inn by the staff at the local travelodge where we were staying. We arrived quite early in the evening at 6pm and food was not served until 6:30. So we had a drink, £8+ for a large wine and local beer. The waitress visited out table prior to the 6:30 start to take our order ready for the arrival of the chefs. My wife started with King prawns from the specials menu, which she said were delicious (can't see the fun of pulling the heads and legs off an animal, even if dead and cooked!!). She followed this with a steak and I had chicken breast stuffed with cheese (can't remember which variety) and chorizo sausage. Both mains were very scrumptious. My wife's steak was accompanied by chips and salad and my chicken with seasonal vegetables. The food was well cooked, prepared and presented. All in all cost £36 for the food, which I think is reasonable. The Inn quickly filled whilst we were there and I would suggest that booking may be appropriate for later in the night, but I guess this may need to be put into contect that we were there on a bank holiday monday. The surroundings are very pleasant, the gas fueled open fire is a bit of a let down an open raoring fire would have been perfection. Service was prompt and attentive without being in your face, if you know what I mean.
You are also able to stay here and I have always wanted one of those weekends away where you stay above a good restaurant and bar - great to fill up on food and beer and stagger upstairs (I know I can do this at home, but so much better when you are away!).
All in all I can strongly recommend this establsihment for an evening meal and may consider returning one day for a meal and a stay.

• Visited April 2012
LAMTATAMI
“Great weekend, nice accommodation, excellent staff, good food”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed for two nights Friday 23 March 2012, on arrival we were able to get into our room early which was an added bonus. Number 3 room was spacious, clean and had a nice powerful shower. Free wi-fi in the rooms was a great bonus. Not usually provided free!!!!! We ate in the restaurant on the 1st night, food was lovely, fresh and had plenty of taste. Bar staff in the evening were very pleasant. I had salmon and my husband had pork roast. We had the cheese board to finish, nicely presented and nice selection of cheese. Nice choice for breakfast, poached, scrambled, fried, toast, cereal, juice, we had the full english which was nicely cooked, not greasy, and hot.
After visiting Canterbury two on day two we decided to eat in the town in a nice Moroccan restaurant recommended by someone we met in the pub. Cafe Marrakech.
Canterbury is only a 10/15 minute drive away. We visited the Cathedral and did the Riverboard tour, which was fun. Our oarsman certainly provided good entertainment.
Findlay (Phinlay!!!) was an excellent host, along with Rachel and JoJo. They really made us feel welcome and made our weekend enjoyable. Our thanks also to Lindsey, Sharon and the two chefs who cooked some lovely food.
Lisa and Chris
Portsmouth

• Visited March 2012
RamsgateOrange, Owner at The White Horse Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you so much for your lovely comments! I am sorry I was not here when you stayed but am really pleased and proud of my team for taking such good care of you! Thanks again. Tara