“Tired building, but food is fine...” 3 of 5 bubbles

The White Horse Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$49
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The White Horse in Boughton is a historic pub restaurant with more than its fair share to offer guests. Not only is this ancient coaching inn mentioned in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, but its location in a glorious village surrounded by hop field lined walks to Mount Ephraim Gardens and the site of The Peasant's Last Revolt recommend this excellent stop before one even ventures inside. As you may well hope, The White Horse is beautifully traditional inside, with roaring log fires, low-beamed ceilings and a cosy, intimate feel. Meanwhile, outside beautiful landscaping has turned a pleasant pub garden in to an Englishmans dream. Locally renowned chefs are creating quite a stir in the kitchen with locally sourced food which has elevated The White Horse to gastropub levels, providing guests with the opportunity to enjoy high level food in the most comfortable of atmospheres. Sunday roasts take place weekly and occasionally the restaurant hosts live music events.
north yorks
“Tired building, but food is fine...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

fAte in the bar food is fine , but pub is need in of some TLC and looking shabby. Bar is dog friendly.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank happyeater111

Minster, United Kingdom
“Interesting menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a lovely old pub in the Kent countryside that has been around since Chaucer's time. Set in a picturesque village it serves a range of food with a Caribbean twist. Sunday lunch isn't just the typical roast but there is also a range of fish and other speciality dishes available. Have been several times and the quality if the food is always superb. Wait staff are very nice but can lose direction occasionally. Would still recommend it to anyone as the food is worth the small hassle.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank SueE745
Gillingham
“A lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited this restaurant/pub a couple of weeks ago. We had a lovely two course meal - we had the garlic/chilli prawns followed by my husband having the smaller steak and I tried the Marlin which was very tasty, plus a nice cold bottle of Pinot Grigio wine. We also used a Groupon, but we were not made to feel uncomfortable in any way, in fact the welcome was very warm and food delicious. We would certainly visit again and have no hesitation in recommending this establishment to anyone. There is also a nice garden area at the back.

3 Thank GillinghamMadhouse
Chatham, United Kingdom
“Simply Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

After reading all the reviews I was looking forward to trying out this restaurant.
I booked a table for four persons on 3 occasions. The bar manager, Tara, was very accommodating initially, until I mentioned I would be using a Groupon voucher.

As soon as I mentioned the voucher her approach changed. I was told on all 3 occasions the Groupon 'quota' had been filled and they wouldn't be able to offer me a table, even though 2 minutes prior they had. When I queried this I was met with hostility and was told they were running a business and couldn't have too many Groupon customers in any sitting. I tried to book for the following week as my voucher was nearing its expiry date. I was told the quota was full for lunch and I could only have an evening time that was not really suitable for me, alternatively get a refund from Groupon. Tara kept insisting it would be easier if I just got a refund from Groupon as they were very busy and won't be doing Groupon vouchers again. This made me feel like a second class customer just because I was using a voucher.

I booked reluctantly as I was still keen to try the food and give an unbiased review before the voucher expired. I told Tara I was unhappy with the way I had been treated and would be writing a 'True' review after I had eaten there the following week. 5 minutes later I received a phone call from the owner Paul accusing me of being rude to his staff, telling me that I was not welcome so don't bother coming.

I have never been more insulted. He didn't ask me what had been said or offer any explanation for the way I had been treated.

I cannot comment on the food or drink as I didn't even get to try it. I can however tell you that I have never experienced worse customer service.

I will never be going to this restaurant after the way I have been treated.

6 Thank Emma J
Ashford, United Kingdom
“Excellent tasty well presented food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visited this lovely pub restaurant for lunch today using a Groupon Voucher.
The pub was quiet as you would expect on a Monday...many pubs and reataurants dont bother to open on Mondays let alone serve food.
There was plenty of choice on the menu and we both chose the Tian of hot smoked salmon which was lovely, a kick of chilli, lime and pineapple made it very original and something that I will try and copy at home!!
I then had the Nut Roast served with fresh veggies, roast potatoes and a wonderful sauce. My partner had the Salad Nicoise served with a whole tuna steak and new potatoes. All beautifully presented.
We did not have to wait unduly long to be served and the staff were very friendly.
We will definately return.

2 Thank jillhoye