“Our stay at the White Horse.”
Review of White Horse Inn

White Horse Inn
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed for 2nights to visit family and I booked over the phone and asked for a nice room and received room 8 the four poster at the front of hotel. The room was clean and the bed comfortable but alas noisy due to being on the road and above the bar but no ones fault as after all inn's in ye olden days were at the roadside. ( cars not invented)
The traffic also started EARLY so be warned and some traffic at night and as it was warm you couldn't keep your bedroom window open due to this .

The pub is full of character and has that lovely old world feeling that modern refurbished pubs lack and leave's them souless, the White Horse retains that and oozes atmosphere.

If I could pick up on anything and I don't want to be negative in any way is we have never been served such tiny breakfasts anywhere we have ever been. Now we are not in any way piggies at all but it was small.
A single slice of cooked tomato with a spoonful of scrambled egg with a single veggie sausage and a few beans ........I had to ask for more toast to compensate but obviously didn't want to look greedy by asking for more. My partner being a big lad of 6'2 just tutted and got on with it .

I also felt the stairs and the bar and restaurant area including our breakfast table which was sticky just needed a good scrub as it smelt and looked dirty. Sorry only saying what my eyes saw and my nose smelt.

We would return but don't think Tara would let us now but I'm only giving a review on our experience.

Kind regards Genie.

Room Tip: Obviously don't have a room at the front as traffic will inevitably wake you up.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
RamsgateOrange, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Genie, thanks for your feedback.
As you say we are an inn which means we are by the roadside, in fact we are a pilgrims inn, on the route from London to Canterbury and are mentioned in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. there is a certain amount of traffic but the hundreds of people who live on the village main street live quite happily alongside it. And on booking I did offer you a room at the rear of the hotel away from the street but you chose to take the four poster saying that you were used to traffic noise where you lived.
Breakfast - I can't remember what you ordered now but all I can think is that you ordered a light breakfast. We offer a full English, cooked to order, eggs how you like them, locally made sausages, free range eggs, beef tomatoes, mushrooms cooked in butter, thick rashers of back bacon, black pudding (if you like it), bloomer toast, cereals, juices, hot drinks etc On our menu a light breakfast is eggs, bacon and tomato (with toast) so I presume that is what you ordered but it is called a 'light' breakfast for a reason.
Regarding the smell.... I asked the staff, and our customers if they could detect a smell in the bar and restaurant... all they could say was it smelt of food. Good food. I am sorry if your table might have been 'sticky' but the picture you paint is not the White Horse Inn and our award winning restaurant. Perhaps you have mixed us up with some other place you stayed in?

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed here based on reviews I'd read and all I can say is I was thoroughly disappointed! We stayed two nights and got a good rate by phoning up to book, but I didn't realise this would mean I had to Hoover our rooms! Our rooms were on the top floor and I can only guess they are the forgotten rooms or no one can be bothered to carry the Hoover up there (it was left at the bottom of our stairs - perhaps a hint for what I needed to do). I should add we were travelling with a baby that has just started to crawl, but the dust really was ridiculous, especially in the bathroom. My partner has written 'clean me' in the dust on the tv in one room, which incidentally we could only get to show one channel - although we were too busy exploring Kent to worry about this too much. The decor was lacking and there was a big gap in the bathroom flooring where it's not been finished off properly. The windows don't shut properly. Someone has had an attempt at making this place nice, but the attention to detail is seriously lacking.... Another example of this is the bouncy castle in the garden - a lovely idea, my older daughter was so excited when she saw this, but it was too filthy for her to play on. The staff were kind and friendly though and the bar area was nice. We had a meal here the first night, and again were disappointed. The food was average, not bad, but we were expecting better from the reviews. It took 1hour 40mins to have a one course meal for two adults and one child. I would have had dessert but I gave up waiting for someone to come back and get my order and the children were getting restless by then. A shame as I feel it wouldn't take a lot to have made this stay a great deal better.

Room Tip: Don't take the adjoining rooms on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen D
TaraBirks, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Thanks for your feedback. there are several issues here, the main one being the housekeeping which is an issue which has now been addressed thanks to customers highlighting the problem so thank you.
The television works through a free sat box which is why you could only get one channel because you were trying to operate it through the TV itself We could have told you this if you had reported the problem.
We are constantly decorating and this area is where we will be tackling next. The windows do shut but they are old and stiff.
The bouncy castle has got some dried mud on it but this does not deter my children or my neighbours children from playing on it. Unfortunately we can't keep it squeaky clean.
I am sorry we did not satisfy your expectations.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

My husband booked 2 nights here as a surprise for my birthday 'SURPRISE' being the operative word. Our room was filthy the carpet was thick with balls of dirt I could write my name in the dust, black mould in the shower , window and extractor fan, even the toilet was dirty. The furniture and curtains wouldn't have looked out of place in a junk shop, it was falling to pieces and stained. There was a plug hanging off the wall. 10 o'clock at night we were waiting for them to hoover and dust the room so we could go to bed. I don't know where the photos on their website are taken but definitely not our room No. 11 and the reviews must be a different pub. We checked out next morning didn't even have breakfast because of the poor standard of cleanliness. Such a disappointment. 4 star is a gross misrepresentation.

1  Thank SuzianneR
RamsgateOrange, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

You were disappointed as soon as you walked through the front door as were thinking your husband had booked a stay at a luxury spa hotel, and that was your real issue. We are AA 4 star and Visit Britain accredited. We are friendly and accommodating, we have excellent staff, superb food, beautiful rooms and many regular hotel customers.

That night you had three members of my team running around trying to please you, but nothing would have satisfied you because of the initial disappointment. They cleaned your room (including one who wasn't even on duty) at 8.30pm, and there was no black mould etc. Your attitude was discourteous all the way and left a couple of my team quite shaken and upset. The furniture is not falling to bits either - I would be very happy if I had furniture like that in my house.

The next morning you were still cross and I let you leave without paying for the room and the dozen red roses I had ordered in (and paid for) for you.

The real problem here is your husbands choice of hotel, perhaps he prefers genuine, quintessentially English countryside inns?

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We had a lovely stay at the White Horse this week with our new baby. The food is especially good - much better than standard pub fare and we had some really delicious meals. Also enjoyed the quiz (sort of a quiz-bingo) and we thought the pub itself had great atmosphere with very friendly and welcoming staff. The accommodation was a little rough around the edges (e.g. shower not working very well, few bits of dodgy paintwork), but we were comfortable enough and it was very good value. Provided you have a car the location is also good for exploring Kent - roughly equidistant from Whitstable and Canterbury, with Faversham on the doorstep. We'd recommend and would definitely stay again as a good value break.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thanks for taking the time to leave us the feedback, much appreciated and useful for other people looking at this too!
thanks again
Paul and Tara Birks

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Nice pleasant friendly staff, food was good as was the wine selection.

We stayed in room 9, not the biggest of rooms but ok.

What lets this place down is its attention to detail, dirty Loo which hasn't seen a clean in a while, the same for the shower.

The entrance, well one of them, from the car park at the back goes past the chefs smoking area and the kitchen area, again it needs a good clean especially if its allowed to be an access path to the pub.

Could be so much better with a little bit of attention to detail

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
RamsgateOrange, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you Eckythumper for your comments. I can't respond personally to your feedback as your user name does not tell me who you are but I suspect you stayed with us 2/3 August.
All our food is prepared and cooked to order, we have an award winning restaurant and we get very busy. We try to space diners but as a hotel we do have to service our hotel guests as best we can if they walk up. Sometimes there is a delay in food delivery, I think you were on a large table where everyone else had starters and you did not? So we are sorry if we were slow but we hope it tasted good.
I am unsure what you are referring to about our billing system.
As a family run business the 'hands on management' is myself and my partner and the morning you checked out we were away because we were taking part in a sporting event. We are normally here 24-7 but will address the issues you suffered on check out - very sorry

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Just stayed there for two nights - OK but needs some serious hands-on management. The staff all do their best but are hampered by slow food delivery from the kitchen (we waited one hour twenty minutes for our main course) and lack of an efficient billing system. I don't think I've ever seen such a muddle at a hotel check out!

Room Tip: Don't pick the rooms on the main road - very noisy from the traffic
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
RamsgateOrange, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

As the owners of this family run business we are here 24/7 and are as 'hands on' as you can get. The food delivery was slow on that very busy Friday night but one of your party did not have a starter which can make the wait for the main course seem longer.
Our billing system is efficient. Your party of 8 in 4 rooms which ate both nights wanted to separate your bills by room rather than simply divide it equally on check out. On the first night you had a bottle of mineral water (£4.20) which was divided between your rooms. You quibbled about this charge saying that the bottle of water was bought by a couple who were in your party but had already checked out. It was £1.05 you were quibbling about! On check out I was not available (unusually) as I was at a sporting event with my family, but we had already discussed this mineral water charge the day before and you had said it was fine, but the lady on reception knew nothing about it, hence the muddle on check out you write about.
We did our very best to look after you, to divide your bills according to room even when it was extremely busy, but whatever we did it didn't seem to be enough. I am very sorry you are unhappy with our service here at the White Horse, but we have an excellent team here, terrific staff, an award winning restaurant and we are very proud of the experience we provide.
Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked a room last minute with limited choice as we were headed to Whitsable on a sunny weekend - and wow what a find!
Arriving at 9.30am did not phase the ever friendly helpful and courtious Tara on reception - we were even offered breakfast ! Alas we plumped for coffee while we waited for a cab - freshly brewed and served at a very compfortable red leather sofa, while reading the paper - what a fantastic way to start the weekend away.
After spending the whole day on the beach (only 10min car journey away) we returned to check-in and eat a hearty dinner ..... specials were thoughtful and imaginative, the main menu was a balance of traditional and inventive - prices were fair - wine was chilled and crisp - the service however was exemplary, with both experienced and young members of the team, everyone was extreemly helpful and knowledgeable. Steaks were cooked to perfection and the chunky chips, just right!
Our room was clean, comfortable and well equipped (although the floor boards were a little creaky, but hey what do you expect from a very old building)
The White Horse Inn, is a great little find - but what makes it stand out as a perfect get away hotel are the owners and staff - when people love their jobs and business it shows in the service, and at The White Heart you get heart and sole with your visit.
I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks Ruth for taking the time to leave us this review - I know we all really appreciate having such positive feedback, especially when it is so busy! thanks again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boughton-under-Blean
Judd's Folly Hotel
#1 of 4 in Whitstable
Faversham Creek Hotel
Faversham Creek Hotel
#1 of 15 in Faversham

Been to White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!