White Horse Inn
Railway Hotel(Faversham)
The Victoria Hotel(Canterbury)
Canterbury Hotel(Canterbury)
View Hotel
All reviewswhite horsethe pubboth nightsold buildingtwo night staywell worth a visitsteak nightan ironnothing too much troublehome madebed was very comfortabletoastshort staylovely gardenstayed for one nightlast weekendhigh standard
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My wife and I have stayed here a few times now over the last couple of years and have always been delighted with our stay and last weekend was no different. It has the nice welcoming aspects of an Inn, with the added bonus of really good restaurant food at very reasonable prices.
The Inn has many quirks and flaws that comes with such an old building but this just adds to the character of the place.
The reason we have returned, is that it's only ten minutes to Canterbury for the tourist / shopping experience with the pleasure of returning to somewhere friendly and welcoming for dinner.

Breakfast is small but with high quality locally sourced produce which is what we prefer.

Dinner is and always has been excellent, so much so that we dined there on both nights of our stay. On the first night I had the pheasant which was delicious and a good sized portion and I would also recommend the "mixed cheeses" to finish off your meal as it's a very nice selection and one portion would be enough for two people....

The staff are excellent, very friendly and efficient with a smile. Special mention however must go to Tobie, who has a fabulous personality that ensures you will have a dining experience you will not forget....

Overall a terrific stay and we would not hesitate to return again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the side and back are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ianx17489
TaraBirks, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thanks for all your lovely comments!
But regarding breakfast, we do not understand why you thought it was small. We serve a breakfast cooked to order so that might be a full English, or a bacon sandwich, or smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, or just bacon and eggs. There are unlimited cereals, juices, fruits, yoghurts, toast, teas and coffees. And we often find people ordering a full English do not finish it. We wish we knew what you actually had so we could see what the problem was.
However we are pleased you enjoyed your food in the evening, we do have an award winning restaurant which we are really proud of.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

On this occasion it was just the two of us and the manager Tara was away on a short break when we arrived, however no need to worry the standard of service was just as good and the friendliness of the staff was excellent. They made us most welcome.
We had room 4, a little smaller but spotless and most comfortable. We had one evening meal which was excellent as useful. Many thanks for a wonderful stay. It’s so nice to be able to stay near to our family and have such comfortable accommodation which is value for money. Sorry we had to cut the stay short but we wanted to get home before the storm which was forecast for the coming day. We will be back this I have no doubt. Tara you have a good staff team.

Room Tip: room 8 was the best room we ever had but they are all nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R a

Thanks for your comments and lovely to see you again and hope to see you soon!
All the best

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We enjoyed a great couple of days at The White Horse Inn over the August Bank Holiday. We were made to feel very welcome by Tara and Paul. The room was a decent size with a very comfy bed. We had intended to eat in Faversham or Whitstable during our stay but the food at the pub was so good we barely ventured out! Breakfast was excellent and the staff fantastic...A special mention has to be made to Tobie behind the bar and the very cute retriever puppies!! We will certainly be back. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your very kind words, always appreciated!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

5 minutes late for breakfast and not even a cup of coffee offered.
Mold on the ceiling
made it down to breakfast at the start (just after 8.30 am) and then our breakfast took just over an hour to arrive. There were only 4 other tables occupied.
The bed has seen better days.
Overall, not a great place to stay.
One plus - they do have wifi in the rooms so I can write this review before I check out :)

Room Tip: room 3 has the mold.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank stevebearsea
TaraBirks, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thanks for your feedback. I have taken a while to respond to this as I have been away, but I have spoken to everyone concerned and think I have a picture of what happened.
You came down for breakfast 20 minutes late on the first morning and the chef had left, but Amba was on duty and she made you bacon sandwiches (not part of her job role!). Not sure why you say you were not offered coffee, maybe you weren't, but why didn't you ask? Coffee goes very nicely with a bacon sandwich.
The second morning, yes service was slow, but I am told it was about 45 minutes (which is too long), but not an hour.
I have no reason to doubt any of my team who I talked to individually.
Yes, there is a little mould on the ceiling which I have been asking my landlord to attend to for the last month, but the room otherwise is lovely, and the bed perfectly acceptable to all our other guests, however I am sorry it was not to your liking.
Tara

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed in family accommodation. Windows wouldn't close, room freezing, dirty and in need of some serious TLC - an immense disappointment for what I thought might be a nice alternative to a chain hotel. £120 not well spent - no idea how other reviewers found this acceptable!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lewry-Marsden
TaraBirks, Owner at White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thanks for your feedback. I have just been up to the suite of rooms (2 beds and shared bathroom off private hall) you booked and they are toasty warm - many times people complain they are too warm so I imagine a previous resident turned the radiators down? The windows are old (as is the building) and do need attention (I have been appealing to our landlords to do this) but they do shut and are shut now. The rooms don't appear to be dirty.
I am really sorry you had this experience but we bend over backwards for people if there is any sort of problem so I wish you had informed us during your stay and we could habe improved your experience.
We are constantly improving the accommodation too and these rooms have recently had some 'tlc'.