“A pub with accommodation”

The White Horse Inn
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having read the previous three reviews I wonder if we stayed in the same place as they.

The lady who checked us was no "Dragon Lady", in fact she was very helpful. The room was small - no problem really as we only had overnight luggage and the bathroom had a decent shower and plenty of hot water. The bed - whilst not the most comfortable I have ever slept on - was fine.

The bar/restaurant has a good choice of beers. The menu looked good and the food was excellent. Service was not high speed, but why should it be? The wine list was excellent - not too large a range but offered a good choice.

Breakfast was good.

To the question - would I stay at the White Horse again - the answer would beyes.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The White Horse Inn

Reviewed 25 June 2014

On checking in we overheard some guests complaining about there being no hot water. We were then reassured that it was a minor issue that was being dealt with and we wouldn't be affected.

Awoke the next morning to no hot water - unable to wash/have a shower etc.

When we brought this up with the landlady on checking she merely shrugged her shoulders and mumbled that the boiler had just broken down, even though we were aware it wasn't working the previous night. No apology, no offer of alternative washing facilities, no offer of a reduction in the room price (we had prepaid so had no recourse). Only received a sour-faced look and a 'deal with it' attitude.

Unbelievably unprofessional and unempathetic. She's clearly not suited to working in the hospitality industry. Previous review describing her as 'Dragon Lady' is laughably accurate.

Elsewhere, the rooms are in desperate need of an update in decor/carpets and a good clean.
Shame this establishment is in poor hands. Has great potential otherwise.

On a positive note - the food looked very good and they had a good range of beers.
By all means dine here, but avoid staying here and especially avoid the landlady.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
1  Thank paddyfitzy
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Firstly, let me say that the food in the bar/restaurant was outstanding.....and that, unfortunately, is where the excellency ends.

We were staying for two nights for a friends Wedding which was being held nearby.....the whole wedding party was staying at the White Horse Inn.

My wife and I, with our twin 2.5 year old boys had the upstairs 'apartment' which consisted of 2 separate rooms, with a bathroom and adjoining corridor with an outer lockable door.. The plan was for our 2 boys to share one room whilst we had the other.

On arrival we were given 2 sets of keys and shown to the room(s). The building is very old, perhaps tudor, and this is evident with the extremely cramped and dark corridors, but is to be expected.

The rooms were not clean unfortunately....the rooms look like they were rarely used, and the carpet was not freshly vacuumed, and this was further evident with the pile of dust all around the skirting boards, like an edging tool on the vacuum had never been used. There was thick dust underneath the beds and lots of rubbish (crisp packets, etc). The rooms had wooden slat blinds, and there was large amounts of residue with dust/dirt stuck to them, like someone had opened a can of coke and it had sprayed onto them, not been wiped off...ever....and the dust had simply stuck to the area. Also, 2 of the blinds control rod was missing so it was extremely difficult to open and close them.

The bathroom was no better unfortunately.....the chrome taps had a thick covering of limescale so that they were frosted, not shiney, and the shower had only sprayed out of 3 holes, all in completely different directions.

The windows in the apartment either would not open, or would not close again once you got them open, and several had the locking arm missing so that they banged back and forth in the wind.

There was a TV and freesat box, but the remotes were so unhealthily dirty we didn't want to use it.

The free wi-fi was intermittant, and when it did connect there was hardly any bandwidth so browsing was painful.....the mobile network reception was better in the area and I got about 10mbit on 3G.

The worst thing about the rooms however, which made my wife and I very shocked.....upon inspect our boys room, we found a yellow capsule tablet on the floor (next to the skirting board funnily enough). I dread to think what it was, or what it might have done if one of our boys had found it and swallowed it.

Our first night there, the wedding party was booked into the restaurant. As they would, the boys needed changing halfway through dinner, so my wife took them off to find the changing facilities. Upon asking she was told there were none, and that they usually gave the key to the nearest room (if it was unoccupied) to change the babies nappies in there.

Well, this particular room was the brides room/bridal suite. The receptionist/manager lady (from hereout called Dragon Lady) asked my wife to ask the bride for her key so that she could change the nappies in her room!! My wife just looked at her and said "no, absolutely not!"

So, my wife proceeded to return to our room to change them there, only to find our key did not fit the outer door. So she return again to the Dragon Lady to report them problem. Dragon Lady then said "well, we did give you 2 keys to the room!!" quite snappily. Usually, if we are leaving the hotel/b&b room together we only take one key....what's the point in both of us carrying keys.

Dragon Lady said she would sort it out, and a few minutes later came back with our other key....which I had left in my bag on our bed. So Dragon Lady had let herself into our room and gone through my bag to find the other key.

After dinner, we left the group early to get the kids to bed, and I went to the bar to pay for our meals. The entire group had placed on one bill, and I got stares when I said I wanted to pay for just our bill from Dragon Lady.....it took her a good few minutes of a show of awkwardness (trying to read the scrawled bill, and then having to go look for her glasses, not listening or writing down what I told her we had, and her then getting it wrong, and tutting at me) for me to actually give them some money.

Needless to say, we shall not be returning and cannot recommend the place to anyone! Unfortunately, the food does not make up for Dragon Lady, or the state of the rooms.

I would have complained at the time, but I didn't want to make a fuss with it being the brides choice, and I feel like Dragon Lady would have eaten me anyway!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank darkcyde
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Have to agree with last review.We visited in May.We couldn't find any other accommodation in Canterbury.The stairs and hall to the rooms were filthy and had not been vacuumed for days, not a great start.The room was adequate ,but again quite dirty and the bed was truly appalling.I think all managers should be required to sleep in every bed they offer.Although it was an airy light room the windows were very dirty.The food ,however was very good.I would suggest eating there but not staying as poor value for money as a B+ B.

4  Thank Julia M
Reviewed 10 June 2014

After researching for some time a place to stay for the night not far from Whitstable, where we were visiting, we decided to try The White Horse Inn. The reviews seemed generally favourable and as we had stayed previously in other Shepherd Neame pubs and hotels and had been really impressed with the standards of accommodation and customer service, we were looking forward to our stay.

Sadly an enjoyable stay was not to be the case at The White Horse. The bedroom we were allocated was dark, gloomy and very dusty; the bathroom was small and grim - a considerable amount of mildew in and around the shower, dust and fluff around the skirting and an old wooden toilet seat needing attention; a musty 'shut up' smell in both rooms; the Venetian blinds were absolutely caked in dust and there were numerous dead spiders around the edge of the carpet, etc.

Breakfast was ok however - a tasty cooked full English, but the service was lack-lustre and pretty slow.

When we explained how disappointed we had been with our stay, to the member of staff on the reception desk the next morning, she suggested we contact the manager as she told us "I can't really do anything as I only work here". An interesting perspective!

I have since been in touch with the manager and she has finally responded to my concerns - over 2 weeks since I bought the matter to her attention - she was apparently awaiting the return (from a holiday) of the member of staff with whom I spoke?! Needless to say she says we should have complained when we discovered that things weren't up to standard. She is not prepared to do anything about our poor experience other than if we chose to stay again, she says "we could
sort out some sort of compensation" then.

We will not be returning.

Poor customer service and poor standards. There is no pride taken in the accommodation at this pub.

No doubt there will be a response to this review and a defensive one at that. The email I received from the manager certainly had that tone and just left me feeling cross. Repeat custom is clearly of no concern to her. What a shame.

4  Thank Janeyblack
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Normally we go to Judds Folly but that was fully booked due to a wedding so having read trip advisor reviews we plumbed for The White Horse. A quant old inn that had obviously been extended and extended over the years. The welcome was a little bit frosty and there was no offer of help with our cases even though I am over 70, I don't think it was intended as a compliment . We were placed up stairs, no lift, along a long passageway with more stairs to our room. The room was tidy,clean but cramped I didn't have a cat to swing anyway. The welcome at the bar made up for the receptionist. There was a selection of Shepherd Neane brews which was well kept. A large gentleman with Rasterfarian hair, a glass of red wine, chatting at the bar turned out to be the chef. A good chef, the food was very good. I had a good nights sleep, probably due to my earlier exercise. The full monty for breakfast was good quality and perfectly cooked. We had a walk around the charming village which appeared to consist of the main road and some side roads, lovely Elizabthan and Geogian houses. Our three day stay was enjoyable the Inn being placed for easy access to nearby sites of interest and a comparatively short run to Canterberry. Will stay here again if Judds Folly is full!y!

Room Tip: Our friends who had a ground floor room stated the noise from the bar kept them awake, we didn't...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EnglandFattyarbuckle
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were hugely impressed by this lovely village in. On arrival we were upgraded to a four-poster bedroom, a great start to a most enjoyable stay, with lovely food (a varied menu with some less traditional options for the more adventurous), great hospitality and accommodation that suited us perfectly. There is a real sense of history in the building, from the original sash windows to the slightly sloping floor in our room. We loved it and would definitely stay here again when in this area. Thank you Tara and your friendly and efficient team!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boughton-under-Blean
Judd's Folly Hotel
Crescent Turner Hotel
Crescent Turner Hotel
#1 of 4 in Whitstable
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel

Been to The White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!