“The best steak I've ever had....no really...”
Review of The Dairy

The Dairy
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Imagine a venue rich in history with a cool, retro vibe, high quality food and the warm, welcoming atmosphere you get at home. It's right here. Pull up a vintage milk churn stool and prop yourself up at Kent's loveliest restaurant and bar for dinner, drinks, nibbles, or one of our famous fresh milkshakes (served in a milk bottle, of course). Our hot homemade Scotch eggs, locally-sourced cheeseboards and epic fillet steaks need to be seen to be believed. We're proud to say all our produce is sourced from local farmers and cooked fresh on the premises. Come and see what all the fuss is about...
Herne Bay
“The best steak I've ever had....no really...”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Straight up the best steak and I think the best meal out I've ever had.....

The service was fantastic, we had a drink at the bar and then sat when our starter was ready, we didn't wait long. Then our mains arrived. Steak, with mushroom and veg and I was blown away by the steak.
Highly recommended place, nice and relaxed atmosphere, a nice romantic place.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Kevin M
TheDairyKent, Owner at The Dairy, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thanks so much, Kevin. We're so glad you enjoyed your steak! Our chef has made quite a name for himself cooking fillets!
Do come and see us again soon,
The Dairy team x

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Charming, friendly and most of all tasty!”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My fiancée and I visited The Dairy last month for the first time.
First impressions were great as the décor (based around the Dairy theme) was brilliant. Very good attention to detail, such as the mini milk bottle condiments and the milk bottle light bulbs!

The owners and staff were very welcoming and made sure we were well looked after.
We bought a bottle of red wine, the pork belly and the gourmet burger. The food was very well presented and tasted fantastic. Very rich flavours and you could taste the difference that locally sourced food makes.
We were quite full after our mains but shared a delicious cheesecake dessert together.
We were enjoying the evening so much we moved over to the bar area and onto the enticing leather sofa. I quick extra tipple as we relaxed to the well chosen music playlist.
We would definitely visit again and plan to very soon.

3 Thank JohnnyR83
Faversham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic evening”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The food was to die for , steak just melted in your mouth . Great selection on the menu to suit all tastes. The staff and owner make everyone feel welcome and special with nothing being to much trouble. Can't wait to go back .

2 Thank Ian S
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A Delight!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited the Dairy in Boughton, with my husband on a Saturday evening (which has been re-vamped from Martins)
So glad we did and will be returning in the near future.
Very friendly greeting by the owner on arrival at the new bar area (on milk churn stools). Had a feel of a sophisticated wine bar. The place has been transformed very tastefully with the original diary theme throughout. Food was great, large portions and well presented. The owners have put a lot of effort in transforming from a silver service restaurant to a more modern approach. The enthusiasm is second to none and I hope this lovely venue will thrive.
I am also looking forward to taking a friend for a relaxing light lunch over a bottle of descent wine! This is also the place we will take groups of friends for special occasions
Thank you Julie and staff and will see you very soon.

2 Thank jane h
London
“Oh dear...”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Upon walking into this restaurant I had high hopes as the interior design appeared to be very well done, and the staff welcoming and friendly. However, sadly the food really lets it down. It is not the case that the food is bad (it isn't), it is the fact that it is just not that good eg average at best. The presentation of the food is good, but unfortunately, the taste experience does not live up to the visuals. As a starter I had the fried calamari which was covered in a thick batter and was like something that you would buy in a supermarket in the frozen prepared meals section. It was served however with a garlic and spring onion mayo which actually very nice, sadly I could only eat half the portion as the doughy calamari was really quite unpleasant. For the main I had a burger with bacon and cheese on top. It was served with chips, coleslaw and onion rings (same thick batter so I left those as I was still getting over the starter!). How was it? Well nicely presented, but the lack of quality ingredients made it very average. The dessert was the best part and I had sultana and apple pudding and that tasted nice, so no complaints there. The total cost of the 3 items I have just described is £27.50 (drinks extra obviously) and frankly if you are charging in that price bracket, you need to deliver good food, and this place does not. Please don't get me wrong, if you are happy to compromise on quality for large portions then The Dairy will not disappoint as the portion sizes are MASSIVE! There are too many good places locally to eat (read my review on another eating establishment in the same village), so I will not be returning. The poor score that I have given this restaurant is based on the fact that even though the food is average, not poor, it is charging the same prices as restaurants in a higher standard, and therefore their food must be compared like for like.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank TravelledLondon
TheDairyKent, Owner at The Dairy, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Hi TravelledLomdon, we were really surprised and disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your meal with us last week. You assured us you were happy with everything.

Our calamari starter has proved to be really popular, but if you'd mentioned you were unhappy with your portion, we would have cooked you a brand new fresh batch with less of our coating, free of charge. We like our customers to be happy!

As for our burgers, we've worked really hard to source high-quality local ingredients and everything is cooked fresh. We like to support our local farmers and provide the very best produce on our extensive menu, which is why as a restaurant and bar, with such a promise, we do have to charge that little bit more than village pubs.

All our meat comes fresh from Barkaway's in Faversham and has been carefully selected, and our burgers are handmade by ourselves from scratch with prime beef and plenty of yummy seasoning.

All of our cheese comes from The Cheesemakers Of Canterbury at Lamberhurst Farm in Dargate, all our fresh fruit and vegetables come from local farmers and our bread comes from the local bakery, while our eggs are fresh from Worcester's Farm in Chartham Hatch.

One of the few things we do source from a little further afield are our wines. Our delicious wines all come from our prestigious London merchant, Enotria. But the suppliers we use have all been very carefully selected for their quality, and their produce cooked to perfection by our experienced chefs. If you felt two of your dishes weren't up to this standard, we'd have loved to have amended this for you at the time.

We'll take note of your feedback. Thank you for your custom. The Dairy team x