“One of the worst Indian restaurants I have eaten in Ever!”
Review of Drovers Arms

Drovers Arms
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Award winning fine Indian cousin, eastern region Restaurant of the year 2014, Bedfordshire good cury guide Excellent Award 2016. Best Chef of the year (Eastern region) 2014,Best in Britain top 100 restaurant 2006.
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This converted pub came recommended (albeit by friends who do not really like curries) so hopes were set.

The dining room is in effect a giant conservatory - with a plastic roof backing onto the car park. Dim and heated by an assortment of gas heaters it was to say the least pretty basic and devoid of anything resembling quality.

The service started well - we had a reserve table but then it was as if we were forgotten, 15 minutes before any enquiry as to what we might want to drink or poppadum's to pass the time.

Hey ho - we finally get to order what is expensive (ish) basic Asian cuisine, still it will taste good? Err no, the poppadums had been fried is some of the dirtiest oil imaginable and had picked up a very unpleasant taste, the home made dips were little better - lime chutney with peas and carrots no less.

Mains were the true disaster, small and almost entirely without ingredients - chicken Jalfrezi consisting of a small quantity of chicken and lots of course cut onion and some standard bought in by the bucket load brown sauce. I have in the 100's of curry houses I have visited found anywhere offer a worse example than the Drovers Arms and that includes £3.00 a plate versions in Birmingham. Shameful.

The rice was again a small bowl of sticky over cooked short grain rice.

Summary - Avoid, service is poor and the food is clearly created for as little outlay as possible.

2  Thank Crowmann

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We decided to have our Christmas dinner out this year. All the local places to eat decided not to do food on the day. Then we found The Drovers Arms doing their interpretation of a Christmas dinner. It was wonderful. Made a really nice change from the same old same old. Staff were very attentive and full of Christmas spirit. Well done

1  Thank GRANMAG2013
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We joined a group of friends for a mid week dinner at their favourite Indian restaurant and we had a really good meal - everybody finished every last morsel of their dish and everything we had was delicious. The staff were very friendly and efficient too. I chose a venison dish for my main dish and it was very tender and full of flavour and served in an excellent sauce. If we lived nearer, we'd definitely eat there regularly.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

8 of us visited for my brothers and my birthday on a Wednesday evening. As it was the banquet night we all decided to opt for that. You order from the main menu but only veg, chicken or lamb options are included. Not all lamb though as we found out when about to order. Lamb shank not included. What a disappointment. Chicken tikka starter, minimal salad and three pieces of tiny chicken. The lamb chop was the tiniest I've ever seen and the samosa's were tiny, over cooked, but still served almost cold. That should've prepared us for the main course. Everything was cold. 3 pieces of potato in the saag aloo side dish. An average of 5 pieces of tiny chicken in the main courses, the same in the lamb, except the sashlik, where there was four and the rest undercooked veg. The breads were burnt but cold. The rice tasted like microwave or boil in the bag. Give them their due, they did replace all dishes in a reasonably timely manor, but potions were still severely lacking. Apparently on enquiring, this is due to ordering from the banquet menu and you should expect small portions. I asked about complimentary drinks because of the wait. We were told by the manager he never gives complimentary drinks, ever. Whilst eating my main I had one member of staff standing glaring at me from the door way. I assume this was because I had voiced (quietly and politely) my displeasure. He did not cease glaring until I made my husband aware and he turned to look, when said waiter finally walked away. At the end of the meal the manager came out and presented the children with a soft drink and the adults with a shot. He pointed out again that he never gave complimentary drinks that were requested as that wasn't complimentary, but as it was my birthday we would've got these drinks anyway. None of the adults present "did shots" and two were driving anyway. I pointed this out and he replaced my "birthday shot" with the wine that I had been drinking but didn't offer to replace any of the other drinks. All in all it was a very disappointing evening and none of us will be returning for fear of wasting our time and money again.

2  Thank Theresa R
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I have been going here many years, always get lovely service and lovely food. I had my birthday here one as well.

Will always recommend and cant wait til I go back again, the staff recongise us once we come in! No other indian has come close in taste and standard.

They have won awards as well for their food!