Mountain Lodge Telluride
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Lumiere Hotel in Telluride(Mountain Village)
  • Breakfast included
The Inn at Lost Creek(Mountain Village)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Peaks Resort & Spa(Mountain Village)
Palmyra(Mountain Village)
  • Fitness centre
Etta Place One(Telluride)
Telluride Lodge(Telluride)
Mountainside Inn(Telluride)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsview restaurantdouble cabinfree gondolagrocery storefull kitchenshort walkpool and hot tubski runliving roomrestaurant bara great place to stayshuttle servicegondola stationeasy accessoff seasonamazing viewscan't wait to go back
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The reviews of this hotel confuse me a bit - I can only assume that most of the folks giving it 5-stars have never stayed at a real 5-star ski resort. The challenge with Telluride in general is that everything is priced as if its a 4- or 5-star resort - Telluride is expensive, top to bottom.

Comparing this from a high level to where we've stayed at other resorts the past few years (which I have reviewed if you want to look at my reviews), it's mid-range accommodations at high end prices. We stayed at the Killington Grand in Vermont for about the same price, and Killington Grand was a dump in comparison. No real comparison. However, we stayed at the First Tracks Lodge in Creekside at Whistler - and it was cheaper than Mountain Lodge, but much, much, much nicer. I think Whistler in general is tremendously more bang for the buck across the board than Telluride. Of course it can rain in Whistler.

Details:
The room was nice enough, but small. We got the two-room "condo" which is actually two connected one-room condos - one of which has a kitchen. It was very small feeling and configured. The entire kitchen is tile which is understandable given people in ski boots but it also means that every time the people above you walk on the floor or move a chair (which is frequent due to the smallness of the room), you hear it loud and clear. Kitchen was adequate and decently appointed but certainly not luxurious.

Housecleaning:
Minimal. We tipped $10 the first day hoping that would help but it didn't. Left a note requesting extra coffee, didn't get any. One day they just didn't come at all - no warning, no notes. Since we had piled our towels on the floor that morning it meant we had no clean ones to come back to. Front desk delivered some upon request.

Issues:
None major except one of the bathroom sinks was clogged so bad that whenever you ran water it pooled for several minutes - gross when teeth brushing or shaving. We called and they said someone would be right there. Nobody came. Called again the next day and later that afternoon a friendly guy came and fixed it. Not a big deal but how does housecleaning not identify an issue like this and report it so that customers don't have to deal with it.

Pool/Hottub:
Major disappointment. For a facility of this size, they screwed the pooch on the lovely designed but ridiculously undersized hottub. They have an "overflow" above ground tub but it was only about 88 degrees and inconvenient to access. Definite trailer park feel to it. All in all the hot tub situation was bad enough that we ended up skipping it the last 4 days of our ski vacation and opting for the undersized but adequate tubs in our room.

Service:
Excellent - very helpful staff, particularly with transportation requests and needs.

Ski-in/out:
Depending on where you are staying, it is still a little walk outside to Double Cabin trail. Nice enough access although still a reasonable hike in ski/board boots from some buildings. It would be extremely helpful to put a bench at the slope access bridge - somewhere to sit while tightening and loosening boots before and after a day skiing. As it is, you hike down the road to the bridge and then sit down in the snow to get your boots tightened up - ugh.

I think as far as accommodations go in telluride, short of staying at the fairmont or one of the other luxury (and luxury priced) places, the Mountain Village is as good an option as you'll find for the money. But relative to many other ski lodges I've stayed at, it's subpar for sure for overpar prices. But I guess that's Telluride.

One other thing to be aware of that has nothing to do with Mountain Lodge: We selected Telluride partly due to what we've read about the lack of crowds/lines. Well, apparently that's true every week of the year except for Texas Spring Break week. We live in NC but I think we met everyone from the state of Texas the week we were at Telluride. There were crowds, and lines. The village area and slopes around the village were a zoo and bordered on dangerous.

The weather was wonderful and I guess the propensity for either powder or clear blue skies is part of the beauty of Telluride - I get that. And even the cold days feel warm with the sun baking you at 10k feet - I love that. But all things considered, I think unless your main criteria is access to off-piste chutes and extreme skiing, or the sheer beauty of the area (and it is beautiful), that there are better destinations for most other ski vacation criteria, depending on what yours are.

Room Tip: Top floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 0neWolf
Doug_Hendrickson, Front Office Manager at Mountain Lodge Telluride, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hello Mr. 0neWolf,

We are impressed by the thoroughness of your review! I will be slightly briefer in our response in saying that the Mountain Lodge, and for that matter, Telluride itself, may not be the perfect resort for everyone. We are working hard to ensure that we improve upon our hotel and we thank you for your feedback.

Have a nice day!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

We staid here a few years ago and loved the place right from the friendly staff at the front desk to the servers in their restaurant. The room we had had its own kitchen and living room which was a plus for our friends coming over and sharing good times and eats with us. Once here you don't have to drive anywhere for you can take the gondola down into town for free and the views are spectacular. The rooms were clean and neat and very modern with a mountain flair.

Room Tip: All the rooms here will be quite for a wonderful night sleep and for views I would get a room on the outside.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Mr. Ballantine!

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Telluride! It’s also great to learn that you enjoyed the convenience of not having to drive. I just drove my car recently for the first time in 4 months, myself. Although it takes a while to get to Telluride, once you’re here it’s very easy to get around. It’s also quite pleasing to find out that you enjoyed our staff. They are a collection of very interesting, friendly people that make for a unique, fun experience.

Take care and please come visit us again!

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our stay is always exceeded by the previous stay. We would highly recommend Mountain Lodge for your stay in Telluride. We love how DOG friendly they are! Its a great location, easy to access the gondola and is ski in ski out. Having a small kitchen in the room is a big bonus.

Room Tip: Double cabins building on the ski run side are nice. Close to areas to walk your dog.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Hello Cherin!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of us! I am so happy that your dogs enjoy it here. If it were up to me, they would be our mascots and we would just have them hang out in the lobby all day. I am also glad that you took notice of our efforts to reduce our impact. We are always looking for ways to improve upon our environmental friendliness and we have very positive changes planned for the future, as well. We hope you get back this way soon!

Take care,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The Mountain Lodge at Telluride truly excels at everything. We stayed three wonderful nights at the end of the season and the staff was always friendly and professional. Housekeeping did an especially excellent job and our extremely comfortable and spacious room was always spotless. We enjoyed the amenities of the outdoor pool and hot tubs (they have 2 hot tubs!) after a long day on the slopes, and the plush complimentary robes came in handy. The fireplace kept us warm and cozy in both the living room and the bedroom, and the view of the mountains from both was nothing short of spectacular! I was a real treat to ski in and out and take the free gondola into town. We didn't move the car once after we arrived! I have skied and stayed all over the country and the Mountain Lodge at Telluride is at the top of my list!

• Stayed: April 2014

Hello Skier333!

Isn't Telluride a fun place at the end of the season? It’s always a bittersweet time for the locals in that we’re sad to see the lifts stop running, but we’re ready for the next big thing, too. It seems that you came here to make the most of it and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mountain Lodge. Come see us again!

Have a great day!

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed three nights closing weekend and would not have done it any other way. The lodge is a class act--comfort, service, views, luxury, and convenience. (Whomever says this is not really ski-in ski-out must be the kind who scam handicapped spaces at the grocery store.) The housekeeping was also fantastic and I often left later and quit skiing early, yet never even heard a knock on the door; in fact housekeeping seemed to sneak in during the most convenient windows, I never crossed paths with them, and they did an impeccable job. The pull-out couch in the one bedroom units is memory foam! It was so comfortable and I felt a great deal of heat from the fireplace--toasty mornings after being on all night! The staff were all friendly and genuine. I would stay here again in a heartbeat--it's dog friendly too! If you have a chance to stay at the Mountain Lodge, do it!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SpringSkier2014

Hello SpringSkier!

Thank you for the nice review! We are glad that you appreciated the access to the mountain from our property as well as the dog-friendly aspect of our lodge. We love our dogs around here and we hope that you get back up this way soon!

Have a great day!