Maratua Paradise Resort
Hotels.com
Nabucco Island Resort(Maratua Island)
  • Beachfront
Noah Maratua Resort(Maratua Island)
  • Restaurant
Fisheries Eco Villa(Derawan Islands)
  • Beachfront
Nunukan Island Resort(Maratua Atoll)
Maratua Guesthouse(Maratua Island)
  • Restaurant
Scuba Junkie Sangalaki(Derawan Islands)
All reviewswater villafishbeach chaletcrystal clear waterair conrental equipmentperfect placehigh tidebarracudabathtubschoolkakabanseasunsetspotsipadanpier
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Maratua island is very beautiful. I can see the lion fish, turtle from my water villa. It looks like swimming pool but in fact it is ocean. I can see sunset from water villa. And the best thing, I can see thousand stars from my terrace balcony and plankton that shining in the sea. It is unforgettable experience in the maratua paradise resort. In the morning, the ocean recede, and you can see white sands in the resort. So beautiful.

I stayed in water villa no. 2. I saw very great view in my balcony, i.,e ocean and a lot of fish in the water. The bathroom is very spacious with bahttube, wastafel, and shower place. My wooden room also very spacious. In the room, they also provide us with such as living room and mirror for make up and hair dryer. However, they did not provide TV since the electricity was derived from genset. The room also have AC facilitation that also very good. I also like the food that provide by the resort restaurant. Eventhough, we eat fish everyday, but they provide us with various of food selection. I like the salad, spaghetti and fried shrimp.

In summary, I love this place and will be back !!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank MissRiani
Reviewed 14 May 2013

im in love with this place so much..

i come to this hotel at 4-5th May 2013

quite place in beautifull place, it is good for you to enjoy your honneymoon and escape from your routine..

foods and beverages over there is so good taste

Room Tip: water villa is the best one
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 8straordinair
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Customer satisfaction may well be a foreign concept to the (foreign) resort owners of this stunningly beautiful location. Instead, they seem to have settled on a money-making strategy of overpricing some, but not all, goods and services, and cutting corners where they shouldn't, such as skimping on access to their showcase dive sites while requiring that some dives take place closer to the resort where the coral has obviously been dynamited. After travelling halfway around the world for the chance to dive some destination locations, our choices of dive sites were apparently limited by some allotment of gas consumption for the resort's dive boats, gas we would have gladly payed for in order to reach these further afield sites. The timing of our visits to these destination sites remained a mystery, and never quite in sync with the tides as they should have been for maximum viewing pleasure.

We two Americans were obviously second class customers, compared to the Malaysian dive club and Indonesian Police officers on retreat. It was interesting, and perhaps long overdue, to be on the receiving end of racial discrimination. In stark contrast, the nearby villagers were more than friendly, and we don't regret for a moment that our lodging dollars went to a homestay in town rather than to the resort. An enterprising individual could get some tanks and rental bikes and open this island up for shoredives without much trouble, except there would be people lost to the ripping currents from time to time, I suppose.

Indonesian food at this resort is typical of elsewhere, good enough, but uninspired. However, the resort did have some non-Indo choices available for customers, which was nice.The resort had motorbikes for rent at only twice the rate we rented bikes in town. Boat transport was also available at inflated prices compared to what we got from the locals.

Diving prices were reasonable, but gear rental was too high. Bring your own if you got it. The guides were pretty good, and were the only ones to get a tip from us. My only criticism is that they should have paid better attention to the tides in scheduling our dives, where an hour can make the difference between a ho-hum underwater breathing excursion and a mind-blowing vortex of ten thousand barracuda swirling overhead like a toothy tornado. As elsewhere in the region, the resort's sewage is piped into the calm shallow waters beneath the jetty, so be careful where you swim.

It was touching to see the staff gather just after dawn to wave goodbye to the Malasian dive club. We, on the other hand, left without so much as a finger wave. Do rent a bike and explore the island. DO NOT miss the jellyfish lake or the channel, and do swim more than 100 feet from the dock and into the mangroves. ABSOLUTELY bring earplugs unless you really do get up at 4 am to praise Allah.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank AKGRB
Reviewed 13 April 2013

My stay in Maratua Paradise Resort was arranged by a well known tour company which specializes in Eastern Indonesia. Located in the shore of Maratua Island which is reachable by 3 hour bumpy speed boat ride from Tarakan or one hour speed boat ride from Berau

During my two nights stay, all I can say is this resort is gorgeous. The water villa is amazing,
clean and modern. The ocean view from the balcony is awesome, and if that's not enough, you can walk pass through the villas to a small hut at the end of the pier the get a wider view of the ocean.

The waters around this resort are extremely calm. Most photographers takes this chance to do long-exposure photograph, which I and all other guests were doing every sunset. To do this you need a tripod and an ND filter. For photographers who wants to take a sunrise photo, please ask the hotel staff. They will kindly guide you and even arrange you a motorcycle rent for an easier transportation to the sunrise spot (it's on the other side of island).

There are nearly no mobile receptions* in the island, which is good for escaping all the phone calls, work emails and social media so you can fully enjoy the atmosphere. *)One mobile operator works fine but only for voice and SMS only, mobile data packet are impossible at the moment.

Overall, this place is amazing and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Always pick the water villa, it's the main reason why people stay in the resort!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank fajaradiartha
Reviewed 9 March 2013 via mobile

We stay for 5 days there. The resort is was build on the water and you can see the fish swimming on the bottom of your room. In the morning many turtle swim from the beach back to the sea.

The room is ok and clean and the staff was friendly. We dive 6 times there and the diving rental price is a bit wxpensive on the price list. For rental equipment bcd is 200.000, regulator 200.000, tanks 200.000, wetsuit 100.000. Better bring all equipment with you and take die packages 3 dive for 700.000. But overall is we enjoy our stay there and want to go there again.
We saw alit of turtle but we didnt saw tresher shark but we saw a big leopard shark. Amazing

• Stayed: March 2013