“Little gateway to Paradise”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maratua Island
Maratua Paradise Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Maratua Island
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Little gateway to beautiful watervilla I've ever come in Indonesia. Compare to some local resort in Raja Ampat, you can get higher quality of water villa and extraordinary seaview with same price !! Fair service, Good food,good facilities, amazing turquoise seaview and colorful underwater in this Maratua Paradise Resort it so recommended for your summer holiday :)

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank cecilenyu

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Two options available, water villas or ground chalets. The place is far from luxurious despite the name resort, but it's good enough for a place far from main land. Short of staffs though, so you have to be patient with room cleaning and service.

Huge bathroom with normal and hot water.
No tv as you are supposed to be busy snorkeling, diving or exploring the area.
Food is just so so, nothing outstanding.
Very expensive cold drink, which is actually understandable considering the location.

The greatest point of the place is the view. You can see the spectacular sunset from above the water, very vast sky at night full of stars, and even a morning rainbow when I was there.
The sea is very clean, you can see the bottom clearly. You can even snorkel since there are many fish swimming around. Turtles too!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank caroline_wl
Reviewed 13 May 2014

need little effort to arrive at this resort . it took about 3 hours by boat from the small port of Tarakan .
upon arrival at the resort Maratua I was struck by the clear sea water . very pleasant sight . The resort overlooks the open sea and the sunset . the vast sundeck enough we can freely enjoy the scenery .
My partner and I took a water villa , with air conditioning and hot water shower . the rooms are quite spacious with a terrace overlooking the sunset .
Overall this resort is very good .
My partner and I stayed for 3 nights and get a great experience by visiting some of the islands around the resort , you have to snorkel in kakaban because the island has a coral garden that is very, very beautiful .
and on this island you will find a large lake containing millions of jellyfish and you can swim with them , very enjoyable .
Maratua food at the resort is mostly fresh seafood .

I look forward to go there again .

Room Tip: should have the water villa for maximum experience
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bagus Y
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is good because the atmosphere they provide. You can just swim right in front of your floating cottage. The view is nice, breakfast is okay, and they sell good snack to enjoy sunset.... :))

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bekicotngesot
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Maratua is an island 45 minutes by boat from Derawan Island, the main island of the Derawan archipelago. My friend and I joined a tour from Jakarta and arrived in Tarakan before setting off for Derawan. Derawan can be reached by speed boat from Tarakan's main harbor, Pelabuhan Tengkayu. It's a 3-hour ride by three-engine speeds, and you couldn't help to nod off along the journey. We arrived in Maratua near evening, and it's such a surprise that our cottage is so cozy. We don't plan to just stay in the resort, since our group planned to go island-hopping, however, the turqoise water under that platform is so inviting, and full of fishes. In the morning, if you're lucky, you can spot some turtles swimming underneath, going against the waves toward the beach. I've spotted a long fish that looks like a barracuda (but not barracuda for sure!). Our cottage is so peaceful, and we're lucky that we got the room that while a bit faraway from the main jetty, it gave wide open view of both the open water and the shoreline. The water in the bathroom sometimes trickles, but it all paid off with the stunning vista. The restaurant's open 24h but serve breakfast, tea and dinner at certain time. If you want your stay to be cozier, bring your own snacks, since a can of Coke costed me 15k rupiahs (twice that one sold at my local 7-11). Don't forget to bring your own snorkeling gear, as it'd be expensive to rent from the resort. In short, mine's such a memorable stay, and during clear nights I got to view an expanse of sparkling stars above! Thank you Maratua!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank badriah355
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I dived here last year and have nothing positive to say about this dive centre..

I went here with my girlfriend, we were not hotel guests but arrived as walk in customers. We are both pretty experienced at diving.

Equipment: Everything leaks. I had air trickling from every point possible on my BCD. It was slow though and wasn't a worry for me but for a less experienced diver this would be very off putting I think. My girlfriend's BCD had inflate fully or deflate fully. She noticed this immediately and asked to switch BCD. Initially the staff went to do the swap but then the manager said no that our equipment was fine. Obviously this meant her dive wasn't too comfortable and we spent our whole time with her holding on to me and me controlling buoyancy for 2!! Day 2 we asked for switch which they refused in the morning as they claimed the jacket had been repaired.. Same problem on morning dives.. After some arguing they switched for a different jacket. The dive sites we visited were all within 10 minutes of the resort and not the best sites in the area.. Turtle highway was fantastic but you could swim to this area with a mask and fins!

We dived with a group of inexperienced divers from Jakarta. They had all just completed their open water and were 4 divers that clearly couldn't dive to 1 instructor. Not a safe ratio given the The "instructors" spent no time with these guys to help them improve with the result that I actually had to had to assist one with his controller as he was going up and down. Instructors had no interest!! My own buoyancy controller got stuck in my jacket 25M down, we signalled to the instructor that there was a problem he was disinterested and myself and my girlfriend had to remove my BCD to untangle everything while the instructor looked on impatiently. My experience with something like this is that the instructor should be immediately over and holding on to the diver to avoid panic.. Thankfully I don't have panic issues but a less experienced diver might not have been so calm..

If I saw something interesting I would point it out and ask instructor on surface and he would have no idea what I was asking him about. All in all a very bad experience and I just wouldn't bother!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
26  Thank Hungry_Neilius
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The room and facilities are excellent with beautiful sea view around the place.. This is suitable for water sport and nature lover. The view from dawn to night is beautiful.. The fish are abundant even beneath the water villa..

Room Tip: suggested to choose water villa
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 12 in Berau
Derawan Fisheries Cottage
Derawan Fisheries Cottage
#7 of 10 in Derawan Islands

Been to Maratua Paradise Resort? Share your experiences!