“Amazing!”

Shangri-la Rasa Ria Nature Reserve
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Tuaran
More attraction details
Owner description: The Rasa Ria Nature Reserve was established by Shangri-La's Rasa Ria Resort & Spa, Kota Kinabalu in collaboration with the State Wildlife Department of Sabah. This protected ecological space aims to facilitate rehabilitation programmes for endangered species of animals as well as those endemic in Sabah. The Rasa Ria Nature Reserve provides a home until they ready to be rehabilitated into their natural habitat. *Following 20 years of joint management between Sabah Wildlife Department (SWD) and Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa (RRR), the Orangutan Rehabilitation and Conservation Programme has ultimately reached a successful conclusion. The wildlife conservation programme at the Nature Interpretation Centre continues, with expanded conservation education and activities. Visitors can now trek deep into the nature trails with rangers to learn about exotic plants, native to the area and found throughout the in the 64-arce Nature Reserve.
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We booked in advance - despite the info stating you can book 72 hrs in advance I booked a couple of weeks before with no problems. Yes there is a video to watch beforehand, but for people interested in the work done by the resort (which I assume anyone visiting would be), its actually very informative and useful. It's a five minute walk to the platform with a few steps (I suggest this is fine for anyone to do - although we struggled as we climbed kinabalu the day before and could barely life our legs!). The viewing lasts an hour and is well worth the money. The food is placed on a platform and the orangutans come to eat then play in the trees. All but 6 of us left the viewing by 30minutes in - a word of advice, if you're actually interested then stay!! When most people left, the orangutans came really close and put on a little show for us. It was great! I don't know why people pay to see them then leave, if you aren't interested then don't do it.

Worth every penny and I'd go again if I was in the area!

2  Thank CostelloSa

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I just visited the place 10 minutes ago. I usually don't write the reviews but this time I'm really dissatisfied. I paid 130MYR for me and my wife to see 3 monkeys far away from the platform...First there was 30 minutes video explaining how wonderful is the whole project. They didn't mention that the hotel makes around 13000 MYR a day from the tourists (two visits a day 10:00 and 14:00, 100 visitors a time). It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth...

1  Thank Oli042014
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Second stay at this fantastic hotel. Isolated with private beach just with the hotel. Service and spacious rooms as per the usual Shangri la standard.

Food was a bit limited and made for tourists palates. Could have been more authentic. Orangutan sanctury a must see and plenty of activities to do if you want. We chose to stick to pure relaxation for our stay.

1  Thank usmanhameed
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was a little skeptical of an orangutan sanctuary attached to a Shangri-La Resort but seeing the orphaned baby orangutans swinging from the trees was simply magical. We were not staying at the resort so just visited for the feeding time - it was worth the visit.

4  Thank Gemima P
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this Shangri-La Resort for 12 nights after a few days in KL at the Grand Prix.

This was an incredible family resort for each of us! It was not the largest pool or dining room, it was however one of the best locations & beaches we have ever enjoyed! The staff aim to please 100% and the food is truly exceptional!

We stayed in a sumptuous family room sharing with our child. It was superb!

I would recommend this resort to anyone wishing to enjoy all that Borneo has to offer. Having the nature reserve in our backyard was a delight to say the least!!!

2  Thank SRV2003