Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Yaho(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Restaurant
Tang Dynasty Bay Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Beachfront
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
The Klagan Regency(Kota Kinabalu)
  • Pool
6,512 results
All reviewsnature reserveocean wingnaanorangutan sanctuarycoffee terracegolf coursesand fliesday bedrasa ria resortcoast restaurantwater sportscanopy walkhappy hourour honeymoonkids clubindian restaurantour favourite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2011

Perfect - couldn't fault anything. This was an amazing holiday in a beautiful hotel with excellent service and wonderful food. The Nature Reserve activities were better than we could have hoped for and the setting on the beach at the edge of the rainforest makes it ideal for nature lovers. If only it was closer to Scotland we would return often!!! The golf course was also fantastic and not to be missed.

Room Tip: Rainforest view rooms for bird-watching.
  • Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I'm sitting here on my penultimate day reading some of the reviews thinking some of the reviewers must have stayed at a different hotel to me because I have found all hotel staff to be charming, helpful and polite and on the couple of occasions where things have not quite gone to plan the staff have bent over backwards to help me - this has turned a 4.5 star experience in to a 5 star one for me and my family and has made it one of the most relaxing holidays we have experienced!

The food is good, but not the best, the rooms are of a good standard but a walk-in shower would be nice, but what had made it for me and my family is the friendly, warm hearted, genuine people both in and outside the hotel.

Make sure you get out to experience Sabah and its people; just spending time with the tour guides is an eye opener and helps you understand the country and culture. If you intend to spend two weeks on the hotel beach don't expect to come away thinking you have experienced Malaysia. The cultural village tour, albeit tailored for tourists was great, as was the trip to the Klias Wetlands. If you want to experience the real locals try the local Sunday market at Kota Belud but don't expect a market catering for tourists.

My family and I found the Rasa Ria to be a real "WOW" experience because of the first class service and caring nature of the staff - our thanks go to the staff and management for making our holiday such a relaxing and enjoyable affair. The one thing that surprised us was that this experience was not matched by that of the patrons, many of which can't even find the time of day to wish you a good morning! But if you are happy to keep yourself to yourself then this hotel is first class for warmth and service - well done to the Rasa Ria management for promoting such positive behaviours and culture.

As for the urangutans, wait until the masses depart and hang back to spend some beautiful time with these lovely aped in as natural environment that you will find anywhere in the world. I have a couple of hundred wonderful once-in-a-lifetime camera shots that you would struggle to find in the best book. A real must even if you are not even staying in the hotel.

All-in-all a wonderful holiday and cultural experience made all that more special by the staff at the Rasa Ria. Make sure you get out and experience the real Sabah to ensure you get the most from your visit to Borneo and Malaysia.

Thank you Rasa Ria for a wonderful, relaxing break from David,Sally and Jessica Mitchell and for being such a genuinely warm and friendly people.

• Stayed: April 2011
RRR-GM, General Manager at Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2011

Dear David, Sally & Jessica, thank you for your glowing review. We are delighted your enjoyed your Sabah experience both in the Resort and beyong - the people here are genuinely friendly, caring and interested in serving and respond well to interaction with visitors from all over the world. I am pleased you appeciated their efforts and will share your feedback which I am sure will motivate them further. Thank you for sharing your comments, regards Timothy Wright

Reviewed 21 April 2011

Spent 3 nights at the Rasa Ria and WOW!

Stayed in the Garden Wing as the budget could not stretch quite enough for the Ocean Wing, however we had a fantastic time. The rooms are still very nice, although they were just commencing major renovations when we stayed. They are a bit dated, but that is soon to change.

From the moment you arrive at this hotel, they treat you like royalty. Nothing is too hard and everything is done with a smile. The check in was lovely as we got to sit in the lounge area and had everything brought over to us. The porters whisked our luggage away immediately and it was waiting in our room when we got there.

I loved the facilities at the resort, and of course our main reason for going, was to see the Orang-utans. The Rehab centre is located within the grounds of the resort and you get to see the Organg-utans settling back into their natural habitat. I was under the impression prior to going, that the viewing would be free, however this is not the case. This did not bother us though, as the money goes towards their care, and is only about $15USD. They are absolutely amazing to watch and if you are patient enough, they might just come right up to you for a photo! I'd love to go back and see Reg & little Ten Ten.

The beachfront bars and restaurants are lovely, and all of the food was great. It was certainly not as cheap as Kuala Lumpur, however we ate mainly at the resort. I found the prices to be similar to dining out in Australia. Happy hour was great though, and the Orangutan special cocktail is yum!

I was not a huge fan of Kota Kinabalu town area, so the location was not a problem for me. I liked being at a resort on the beach, away from everything.

I will definitely be going back there, and can't wait to see the rooms once the renovations are complete.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review and we are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your visit to Rasa Ria. The upgrading programme is well underway and we anticipate the majority of the work will be completed by the end of the year - the designer of the new Garden Wing room is the same as in Ocean Wing and although the rooms are somewhat smaller, they will have a similar feel of comfort and luxury. We are looking forward to offering these to our guests later this year. Great to hear you enjoyed visiting our Nature Reserve where we are fortunate enough to be able to do something towards rehabilitating these beautiful orangutans. Thanks again for your comments, regards Timothy Wright

Reviewed 20 April 2011

This is the typical resort you can find on any other beach in the world.
You can spend a week there without getting out.

Has it got anything special... ? Not really. Swimming pool, beach (but the sea water is not the best in Malaysia or in Southeast Asia), restaurants, fitness, hairdresser, shops. All ok, no more.
The rooms are comfortable, which is the least you can expect for the price of this hotel. Free Wifi.
I must admit that food in the various restaurant is of high quality (but you pay 2x more min. than anywhere else in the country).

The place is some 30-45mn away by car from Kota Kinabalu. Expect to spend 80-100RM one way for a taxi. There is a resort shuttle, on specified times... and not free !

Now you know what to expect, this is a resort, a huge resort, not a boutique hotel, with families and tourist groups. If this is what you want, you will be happy with it. If this is not what you like, avoid it.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
RRR-GM, General Manager at Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2011

Thank you for your comments. I can appreciate your feelings regarding the size of the Resort as you have stayed in the Garden Wing - the Ocean Wing does have a more 'boutique' feel to it as it is only 90 rooms and the service is more personalised. We do have a number of unique activities, mainly focused on nature including the Orangutan rehabilitation centre which I am sorry you may have missed as it is very popular with many of our guests. Our prices may be more expensive than many of the local free-standing cafes or food stalls, however we do aim to provide good quality at value-for-money prices. Regards Timothy Wright

Reviewed 20 April 2011

I was really looking forward to this trip having read the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. Although overall it was a nice break, for the price I would expect more in terms of service and activities made available.

The food and beverage service in the restaurants was great but around the pool and Sampan bar, it was sadly lacking and extremely disorganised. At a 5 star resort I would expect service staff to be clearly visible around the pool area at all times but especially at lunch time. This was not the case and we were constantly searching staff out to place food and beverage orders. The Resort is losing revenue by not having staff circulating around guests in an unobtrusive manner. When orders were placed, it took forever to receive our orders.
The same can be said for the Sampan bar where not only were orders slow in been taken and in being fulfilled, but also staff were giving us incorrect accounts and doubting us when we refused to sign them because they were not ours!! This is because drinks were delivered without the accounts which came out later and were obviously getting mixed up.

Regarding activities, these were few and far between around the pool. This area could definitley be improved.

On a brighter note, we enjoyed (but were not overwhelmed) the orangutang sanctuary and most eating places the resort offers. Breakfast was of a very good standard. Be aware that the resort is an hour away from the main town so you must eat in the resort or pay 160 ringitt return via taxi to find a different eating establishment.

This is a five star resort with five star prices but not quite up to scratch in meeting five star expectations.

On the third day I finally found a service manager and complained and to his credit from then on he ensured we were admirally taken care of. It is a shame that it took this poor level of service and me complaining for this to occur

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and for highlighting some opportunities for improvement. I was pleased that our Service Manager responded to your feedback and we are currently reviewing how we can improve on our service levels aound the pool and at the Sampan Bar. Although we are somewhat isolated, which does have advantages, We are sensitive to ensure we offer value for money in our restaurants and bars as well as for our activities. Regular price reviews have resulted in price reductions or special promotions in many areas as exchange rates against the Malaysian Ringgit have fallen in recent months.Thanks for your comments, regards Timothy Wright