Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
  • Free Internet
US$149
US$114
  • Breakfast included
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$144
US$29
Agoda.com
  • Pool
US$35
  • Breakfast included
The Klagan Regency(Kota Kinabalu)
US$61
US$49
Trip.com
  • Pool
Tang Dynasty Bay Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
TripAdvisor
6,550 results
All reviewsnature reserveocean wingnaanorangutan sanctuarycoffee terracegolf coursesand fliesday bedrasa ria resortcoast restaurantwater sportscanopy walkhappy hourour honeymoonkids clubindian restaurantour favourite
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Excellent resort, in a very rural setting, but with lots to do and see.
Good food, not expensive, helpful staff. Many in house trips and activities, also in house travel agents to arrange outside excursions.
Would without doubt recommend.

Room Tip: We were in the garden wing, out side our balcony were 3 macaws and a hornbill.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LittleStevieB
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Having stayed with Shangri La in Hong Kong and Singapore we were familiar with the service and quality associated with the chain. We chose a garden wing room due to the ongoing building works in the Ocean wing. Although in fairness the noise and environment impact appeared to be minimal.

The resort certainly does have a wow factor on many fronts, spacious bedrooms with split level living area and large bathrooms. Attention to detail is apparent everywhere from the arrangement of the fruit dish in the room to the sand in the cigarette bins been shaped into the brand's logo.

The staff are all very friendly and there is rarely a delay in service. Sometimes food service crosses the boundary from being attentive and efficient to excessive. For example, during dinner one evening I had finished my drink and placed an order for another round between ordering and its arrival two additional staff asked me if I wanted a further drink. This isn't a criticism, more an observation on staff to guest ratio and the obsession with service.

Negatives - very few...but have to mention a couple of points. Firstly, Coast restaurant. The service here fell far short of the rest of the resort and for me didn't match the reviews and the status given to it, but I've written a separate review about that.

The other negative is the congestion at certain points which made the resort fell like a run of the mill tower block hotel. Breakfast for example, which we had at the main Coffee Terrace restaurant, felt like a large school dining hall. Noisy, very busy and queuing at the buffet area didn't get my days off to a relaxing start.

Overall a great stay in a luxury resort and easily the best chain hotel I have ever experienced.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Garry G
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Once again the Rasa Rai did not fail in its commitment to providing a professional and charming service. The staff were an absolute delight making you feel welcome and special no matter what you were doing or where you were within the resort. This holiday was a bit of R&R following a busy 2 years and in certainly gave me that and was such a breathe of fresh air after 3 days in KL.

My room was a deluxe with a sea-view and this did not disappoint in any way, I was on my own but even if my family had been with me there would still have been ample room, it was clean, comfortable and homely with little treats being left and added bonus. I also loved the book markers that were left at the night service, lovely touch.

There were loads of activities that you could participate in if you so desired and suited the young as well as the old. I went particularly to see the orang-utans as I adore these amazing primates, I was disappointed - not in them at all but since my previous visit the amount of visitors allowed into the viewings seemed to have increased and this at times was very noisy and distracting, they all also allow small children into the viewing platform despite all the information stating they have to above 6yrs old. This was very annoying as most of them cried and talked loudly with their parents having no respect for the situation or the rangers request for silence during the viewing. I firmly believe that we have to educate children about what is happening to the endangered primates so perhaps a separate viewing time for them may be more appropriate. The rangers were amazing and really passionate about the orang-utans, I met a delightful young man called Berne who was more than willing to chat about the characters of the two boys and his role in their rehabilitation - fabulous work all rangers I am in awe of you.

The restaurants were good although I was a wee bit disappointed in my beef rendang at the coffee terrace, this is my favourite Malaysian dish and was so looking forward to it, the rest of the food was lovely and especially my south Indian curry in Naan. Coast again was good, but the deserts did let it down, the service impeccable.

Overall this is an amazing place to visit no matter what your stay is for - I had no reservations coming on my own and always felt safe, maybe an idea for the hotel to look at how to incorporate solos travellers together in the evening for dinner or drinks. Well dome Rasa Rai team.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
3  Thank lassiescot
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We are in our last fay or our 5 day stay as I write this review, we had had a great vacation. The facilities are quite god, the hotel staff has been very helpful and the quality of food and drink quite good. There is a large amount of activities for kids and our 5 year old has been very happy. We were also able too find good comfort for our 9month old baby. Here are some of the specific highlights and areas were the hotel needs to improve.
Dinner at the coast last night was great, we reserved for our sons birthday and asked for a chocolate birthday cake and they delivered, chef went the extra mile and made a carrot puree for our baby which he loved!!!!
Breakfast service at their main restaurant is good and diverse however the idea to use salt packets instead of real shakers in this humidity was very poor judgement as the salt gets soggy, please put shakers back!!
Food at the pool restaurant and pool side was very good, why do you have different menus??? Honestly as. A guest I can not fully understand that.
Getting a waiter at the pool lounge chairs cane a challenge sometimes...suggest you guys consider a flag signaling system as we have seen in other resorts...it would make staff and guest life much easier and service faster.
You got a nice hotel website however you lack a good resort map..it was very hard for us to make choice of rooms considering the current undergoing renovations...thank fully your staff was very helpful on making a good choice for our family...again everything would have been much more convenient with a good resort map on the site.
Airport pick up service was great, nice detail of meeting your guest at luggage claim area, baby seat on van was also highly appreciated!!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jorge B
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We do not normally like large hotels but this was perfect. Fabulous location on stunning beach. Large sized comfy rooms. Gorgeous pool. 5 different restaurants to eat in and very charming and helpful staff. We went here after an exhausting wildlife tour and it was just the right sort of place for 4 nights r & r before coming home.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a bath ask for one. I think most in the Garden wing have showers but I was lead to believe there were some with baths.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple