Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa
  • Free Internet
US$158
US$114
  • Breakfast included
Tang Dynasty Bay Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$27
US$24
Agoda.com
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$144
US$30
Trip.com
  • Pool
US$35
US$29
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
The Klagan Regency(Kota Kinabalu)
US$61
US$49
Trip.com
  • Pool
6,551 results
All reviewsnature reserveocean wingnaanorangutan sanctuarycoffee terracegolf coursesand fliesday bedrasa ria resortcoast restaurantwater sportscanopy walkhappy hourour honeymoonkids clubindian restaurantour favourite
Reviewed 1 June 2010

The Rasa Ria Resort is a fantastic resort for a short break. we stayed 10 days and enjoyed every day but would not stay this long again as there is not much around the area to see and do unless you travel 45minutes to KK which is not worth the drive.
for a total relaxing holiday it was fantastic as the golf course and spa were great and reasonably priced, many visits to this area of the resort.
Must do's Orang Utan feeding - river cruise - Dalit Day spa Chi massage

Reviewed 28 May 2010

This is not going to be war & peace as I will only be repeating what everyone else is saying for the positives.
The hotel is everything we were expecting and more.................so relaxing, friendly and all you could want if you just want to chill out.

Ocean Wing v Garden Wing................the big debate. For us there is no choice, we stayed in the Ocean Wing and I think it was worth the extra. The pool and its surroundings were never busy, you always felt like you had your own little bit of paradise. Breakfast in Coast was also a real pleasure.
The staff are great, my husband had an ear infection and they called out a doctor very quickly; and then sent him a tea tray with honey & lemon with a Get Well card!!
Although from what I could see the staff were wonderful all over the resort - nothing too much trouble.

Prices - yes prices were higher than if you ate in a local Malaysian restaurant, however we do all have to take into consideration its remoteness. I felt that the standard of the food was very good and it was consistent, so it didn't matter where or what you ate you knew the food would be good. Drinks, probably more than you would want to pay, I like my wine but that is all imported so you have to pay it or don't drink it!

Sandflies - we were there for 12 days, up to day 6 we didn't get one bite either of us and that was with walks on the beach. We didn't spray our repellent every day either as we got a bit blase about it. However, we took a tour to Poring Hot Springs for the canopy walk and forgot our repellent - what a mistake, we were covered. After that it was as if we had put signs on our foreheads.............COME AND BITE ME! We got new bites everyday. Now whether for some reason once you get bitten somehow you are more prone to them I don't know, but also our second week there was a lot more rain sometimes getting quite cloudy early afternoon and it seems that the sandflies then start biting.

I think for me one of the overriding things about the hotel is the service and the staff's attitude, they all want to make your stay memorable.

Thanks all at Rasa Ria - we can't wait to come back.

1  Thank lovemybeaches
Reviewed 22 May 2010

Set in peace and quiet north of KK, we went here for the last 3 days of our honeymoon. We booked through Destinology who got us some discount and stayed in the Ocean Wing. Right from the welcome and registration in our rooms, the attention to detail and welcome from all the staff was warm and efficient. (I find it hard to imagine that Tanjung Aru can be quite as good, given it is so near the airport.)

The views from the 6th floor of the Ocean Wing bedroom were great, with sunset viewing from the balcony. The room is large, modern and v well appointed. The balcony has a bathtub; personally, I would think that being on Ground floor with the bath tub and having to pull down the privacy blinds they provide would detract from the experience. On the top floor no such worries.

I'm not normally a resort person but i was surprised at how much there is to do here if you would like. The Ocean wing pool keeps out almost all kids with its exclusivity as Garden Wing has separate pool. 35m long allows you to swim laps if you like. there is also a small but reasonable gym- not the best in a hotel, but ok. there is free 1 hour non-motorised watersports (eg sailing on hobie cats- go late morning when the wind picks up), tennis, beach, wildife reserve etc. Also plenty of well appointed deck chairs, spa etc.

Food and drink were pretty good i thought after some of the negative reviews. prices are more than local but less than or comparable to western depending where you eat. the beachside private dining is a good experience for a romantic occasion! it's not cheap but think what you would pay in Europe, australia etc for this? from sunset onwards, you should be able to find a happy hour somewheree for cocktails, beers and wine if like me you avoid full price when practicable.

i would happily have stayed longer with the genuinely friendly and efficient staff, attention to detail, great setting and v good facilities.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IJB_Cavendish
Reviewed 20 May 2010

Stayed there from 5th to 12 may 2010,realy good hotel with very friendly and helpfull staff.
You must visit the orang sanctuary while you are there, its a realy good experience.
The pool and gardens are great and there are always plenty of sunbeds to go round,beach towels are supplied.
The down side is that the drinks in the bars are a bit on the expensive side.
A small beer 320cl costs around £4.25. A cocktail from £6.00. A shot of rum £4.00. Dont even consider the champagne, you need a second morgage for that.
Food is priced reasonably and you can get a good meal for less than £20.00.
We were not unduly bothered by the sand flys or mossies,got a few bites but nothing realy bad, just put on plenty of repelent through out the day.
The sea from the beach is nothing to write home about, and watch out for the pink jellyfish.
If you want to see the fish book one of the snorkeling trips to the North of the Hotel,we went on one and it was realy good. Saw lots of fish and coral at the reefs and we were the only two on the trip, so we were treated like millionares.
The golf course at the hotel is worth a round or two, lots of water but I only lost one ball.
The fairways and greens are in good condition and the staff are very helpfull.
If you can find anything to realy complain about while you are at the hotel then tell me because I could not fault it.

2  Thank worldtravelerLeeds
Reviewed 17 May 2010

We have been here for a week (our second visit in 12 months). As a resort holiday it has everything that we need great facilities, pool etc.. I would recommend paying a bit more for the deluxe ocean view rooms in garden wing, as last year we had rainforest room with limited views. The staff have been amazing in every respect. My only critisism is rooms are starting to look a little bit tired in this wing. We stayed in room 619 which has great views and huge balcony. However if budget isn't a problem the newer rooms in ocean wing are the way to go.

Breakfast was fantastic, with it seemed to me to have more variety than our previous visit. Also plenty of dining options for lunch and dinner. The day spa prices also reasonable with my husband and myself having several visits.

The orang a tang nature walk is great- plenty of close up interaction, but beware...Lots of sand flies and mosquitoes in all areas surrounding the resort. If prone to getting bitten be prepared with lots of insect repellant. I brought my own but it hasn't seemed to work, I have red welts everywhere! Having said that worth every minute of being in such a great environment where jungle meets the sea in a isolated area.