“Worst service ever in restaurant”

Alpha Hotel Canberra
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tuggeranong
Melbourne, Australia
“Worst service ever in restaurant”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

The service was abysmal with quite possibly the grumpiest and rudest waitress I have ever met. The pizzas were poor and soggy and we ate with the roof leading next to our table.
Overall an incredibly poor experience for the whole family

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank chrismaiden
Manager A, Manager at Alpha Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for your review of Alpha Hotel Canberra's restaurant, Tinderbox Bar and Grill

I am pleased that you found our restaurant easy for locals to use and not restricted to hotel guests only. We enjoy a strong following from the local community for both breakfast and dinners and welcome everyone, whether staying in the hotel or not.

I apologise for the service you encountered and for the quality of pizza's you had. All feedback is valuable to us and appreciated. We will use it to improve our offering.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Booked a deluxe room and stayed overnight last night at this Hotel and was very disappointed. Had a room above the rear of the Hotel overlooking the outdoor eating area which had no opening window so had to have the air con on the whole time. Absolutely NO mobile phone reception in room despite being with Telstra. The room was quite shabby with patchy, worn carpet and furnishing and very poor lighting. No guest directory in room and I had to go and ask for an in room dining breakfast menu. In bathroom no shelving or bench to put anything on when showering - there was a small sink outside the bathroom but not convenient when showering. Bedding was spotlessly clean but the mattress was really hard and uncomfortable. Had to park out back of Hotel and drag suitcase up steps to get in and Reception person said it's "pot luck" as to whether I would get a parking spot at all !! Sat in foyer trying to get phone reception and I was able to wipe the dust off the coffee table it was so dirty. Breakfast in room arrived at preferred time but was only average. Not even serviette on tray. Overall, very disappointing and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review of Alpha Hotel Canberra

I am delighted that you found our bedding spotlessly clean. I do apologise for the other aspects that we're not to your liking.

Car parking is one of this hotels strengths. We have lots of car parking and I have never encountered a time when sufficient parking was not available. Indeed, coach operators select our hotel for this precise reason and the office workers in the neighbouring business parks also use our car parking facilities. Because car parking is so plentiful it is unallocated to a specific hotel room, so in that regard it may be "pot luck" as to which specific bay you choose, but the availability of car parking is never at question. I will highlight this to the front desk team who may have not communicated this as effectively as they could.

Certainly, all of our windows in the hotel are able to be opened, but some of the latches may not be as obvious as others which we will look into. I am glad the reverse cycle air conditioning kept you warm on the chilly Canberran winter mornings though.

Mobile phone coverage is typically not an issue in the building but we do face the beautiful Brindabella ranges which your room overlooked, so different carriers signal strengths may vary at times from this preferred aspect.

As you may have read on our website and through some of the other comments on this forum, we are undertaking a significant refurbishment. You will have noticed that we have commenced painting the section of the building you stayed in. New carpets are to follow once the painting has concluded in that wing. We have fully painted and carpeted a half of that wing so far. New furniture, bedding, lighting and bathroom fixtures will follow that.

Most guests find the setup of the bathroom sink outside the bath/shower/toilet quite handy if unusual, especially if they are travelling with a partner who may want to brush their teeth while the other occupant is using the facilities.

We will look into the in-room dining menus for both breakfast and dinner. These are typically prominently displayed in the room near the telephone and A/C instructions and the minibar items. Perhaps this menu was removed from the room you were staying in. The in-room dining menu is identical to the restaurant menu so is easily replaced. We will review the room service tray setup and items served in light of your feedback. Thank you for it.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at Alpha for 9 weeks due to a work engagement. The staff including the manager, front office reception, the kitchen and the housekeeping team took very good care of me to make sure that my stay away from home was comfortable. They really care for their guests and I would recommend them to anyone anytime.

Room Tip: Explain your requirements clearly so they could give you what you want
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear ChristyT

Thank you for review of Alpha Hotel Canberra. We genuinely appreciate your feedback and for you making a point of publicly recognising great customer service where you experience it. All too often positive experiences are not publicised.

I concur with your evaluation and consider myself very lucky to have this team leading the business.

We hope to see you back soon.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed in June for 2 nights on a Groupon Deal. I rang to see if rooms were available before buying the Groupon Voucher & was told there were plenty of rooms, so I proceeded with the purchase & requested a balcony with a view of the kangaroos as suggested by other reviewers. I was advised there were no balcony rooms available but a terrace room with easy access. I was not aware that easy access was in fact a disabled accommodation. We thought it was easy access to all amenities. The floor does not slope correctly in the shower, so water went everywhere, you couldn't access the toilet without wading through water, so I had to ask Michael for a mop and bucket, which we kept in our bathroom for the 2 days. The hand basin was too low for my husband. There are only 2 disabled rooms in this complex & we were given 1 of them. Michael suggested we check the following morning to see if another room was available, but it wasn't worth packing up & shifting all our gear for 1 more night. You need to keep the curtains closed as the car park lights act as daylight, but I suppose this meant good security for the cars. There appeared to be plenty of business/public servants around talking in the corridors or out in the car park. The bed was comfortable & the room was clean. Scott the breakfast Chef did a wonderful job of the breakfast buffet & was very particular with the presentation. Apart from being mislead about our accommodation, the room was comfortable & close to 2 clubs & Hyperdome. We didn't like how the bar was setup right next to the reception desk. It was a bit of a drive back into Canberra to check out the Museum & other attractions.

Room Tip: Groupon Travellers don't get the same service as full paying customers.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarissaL L
Manager A, Manager at Alpha Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thanks for your review of Alpha Hotel Canberra

I'm glad that you found Michaels service helpful and friendly and Scott's breakfasts tasty and consisting of a good variety. I am very lucky to have both of these gentlemen in my business. I'm also pleased to see that you found our rooms comfortable and our location convenient.

I'm sorry that you felt you were mislead about your accommodation options. It is true, the Groupon package you chose to take advantage of is for our "Deluxe Room" Type, and clearly advertised as such. Our "Deluxe View Room"s, which you requested, are not sold through Groupon but you are able to upgrade to these rooms for a small surcharge, if they are available. Just because Deluxe rooms are available on a particular package at a particular time, does not mean all room types are available for that same package on those dates as well.

I am pleased to hear though that we were able to accommodate you in a Deluxe View room (with a Terrace), even if it was an "easy access" room (hotel PC for "disabled room"). The reason the door ways are wider, that there is no hob in the shower, that there is a hinged seat and a shower rose on a handle in the shower, is to allow for wheelchair access and sometimes this does mean that some water escapes. The hand basins and towel rails are also deliberately placed lower to make use easier for someone who is seated. We have many disabled travellers from the Government offices opposite us, and from a variety of sporting teams attending events in Tuggeranong who need and appreciate these rooms. We proudly advertise the fact that we have proper, dedicated facilities for the disabled that facilitate "easy access" and in fact have about 5% of our inventory dedicated for this specific use. Of course that does mean that able bodied customers sometimes find themselves allocated these rooms (particularly if they have requested a particular outlook or location in the building, or we are nearing full capacity). For most this isn't an inconvenience, however I appreciate that for others it is and we will record this for your next stay.

Thanks again for your feedback. We hope you choose to stay again

brisbane
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

So Alpha hotel used to be run by country comfort and I have stayed there with CC for work many times (not a lot of choice in Tugeranong). My first time with Alpha. Not a lot of noticeable change, so my previous reviews of this place remain the same. However, I did note that the 3 course room service menu has significantly gone up in price and now no longer includes a glass of wine. So your better to go next door to the club, who offer better value and variety if wanting to dine.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tim3513
Thanks for your review of Alpha Hotel Canberra

I am sorry that you did not notice any material difference to your last stay. It would appear that $650k doesn't go as far as we'd hoped. We're less than half way through completion of the renovation though, so I'd be interested in your feedback when we're further advanced.

I can't comment on dinner prices from when you last stayed because I've held these prices generally stable since taking over management in late 2012. Hopefully you did notice that our breakfast prices have in fact come down from where they were 2 years ago. At $20 for a fully cooked buffet breakfast in a 4 star hotel, I'm told we offer exceptional value.

Moruya
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed on a Saturday night to attend a function at the club next door. Easy to find location off main road, with Tuggeranong Hyperdome, a large shopping mall, across the road. The reception area has a cosy lounge area with a fireplace to sit by, and a dining area adjacent which provided a very tasty and varied buffet breakfast. Check in was fast and all staff I interacted with were friendly and personable.
The room was comfortable, with a firm mattress. There was very good lighting in the vanity area, and a good sized bathroom, with a dedicated shower, and no bath. (I personally dislike having to climb up into a bath to use a shower as you do in many hotels. That's never a good idea for safety reasons). Plenty of parking available in the carpark behind the motel, and a paddock filled with a large mob of kangaroos provides interest for those of us who think they're cute and cuddly and fun to watch.
I would recommend Alpha hotel as a comfortable place to stay if looking for reasonable priced accommodation in the Canberra area, and it is only a short drive into Canberra City, or all the other attractions in Canberra.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moruyalyn
Thanks for your review of Alpha Hotel Canberra

I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and found our location, warm environment and breakfast options to your liking. I especially thank you for your kind comments about our customer service. This is a key focus for us and it is nice to hear from customers when we get it right.

We have recently replaced a number of beds as part of our refurbishment program and we are glad you find firmer mattresses to your liking. About half our Deluxe rooms have walk-in in showers and the other half have showers-over-baths.....we attempt to cater for everyone. The Kangaroos are also a specific feature of this location. It is rare that I cannot find any from the car park at any given time of day.

Forster, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Rooms were very basic, was not happy though as our room was not madeup as we "purchased via Groupon deal". Not happy this was not explained at all on checkin. Tea/coffee was not even replenished. Staff in the dining room need a little more training in customer service.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your review of Alpha Hotel Canberra

I am sorry you found our Deluxe Rooms basic. You are correct, rooms on the package you elected to purchase through Groupon are advertised as a service on departure only. We have offered these specially priced packages in response to customer feedback that some would rather enjoy cheaper prices and more inclusions (breakfasts, wine on arrival, 2-for-1 pizza offers in our restaurant Tinderbox), in return for not having their bed made every day or their room serviced when not required. We have many, many other packages available on our website that include the standard daily room service for customers to choose from. The daily service condition is prominently displayed and advertised by Groupon, so I am concerned that this was a surprise to you. Regardless, it is possible to change your mind and elect to have a daily room service (for a nominal surcharge on the package you selected), or to request towels and extra guest amenities which are freely available at reception.

Best regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuggeranong
Aria Hotel Canberra
#12 of 57 in Canberra
Quality Hotel Woden
Quality Hotel Woden
#36 of 57 in Canberra

Been to Alpha Hotel Canberra? Share your experiences!