“Wonderful...but”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I had heard a lot of great things about Riso, especially about the the food. After living in Lantzville and cycling by Riso twice daily for nearly a year my girlfriend and I decided to finally visit and see for ourselves.

We had a reservation and after a few minutes of browsing the atmosphere we were greeted and seated.
This place is fairly open atmosphere, seating 30-40, and is slightly cramped. I sat in the booth side within elbow distance nearly to the patron at the next table. The decor is quite nice, lots of wood, nice open kitchen.

The service was quite slow, but I could see that they were busy, and normally this is something I don't mind. But the service, when present, just didn't seem present nor genuinely pleasant. It seemed rushed and uninspired...I felt like just another automaton on the factory line of their patrons.

Thankfully, the food was fabulous. The wine selection was really good also. We had a half litre of Kettle Valley Brakeman's select and started with the truffle fries. Very very nice fries, beats even Brasserie de l'ecole in Victoria on this dish.

I ordered the andouille pasta, and my partner had the lamb. Both lovely, wonderfully spiced and well portioned and served.

Alas, no room for the delicious sounding desserts.

So...we will go back, I have hope in my heart this was an off night for the service. (I think she may have been the proprietor.) The food was just THAT alluring.

Thanks Riso.

Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Thank you for your review, David. We're glad you decided to dismount from your bikes and come in for a meal.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the service, and your acknowledgement that we were busy. As my husband and I (proprietor) were full throttle cooking your meals, it would have been one of our staff serving you that evening. I regret that we were not able to serve you to our usual, passionate standard.
We're looking forward to hosting you again, and maybe you'll have a little room for dessert.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We were for Sunday brunch so a full review was not possible. Riso,s has a very nice feeling. The decor is modern but with a very warm and personal touch. Lantzville is a very pretty village with a seaside location.
I tried the Italian Eggs Bennidict which was superb with the poached cooked perfectly.
We look forward to returning for dinner.

Tom Constable
Qualicum Beach

Thanks, Tom!
We're glad you enjoyed your brunch. We look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed 15 August 2013

All round top notch meal and restaurant experience! We are frequent visitors to the Nanaimo area and this place is definitely on our lunch and dinner priority list.

Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Thanks for your review and your words of praise, Hoojeanie.
Since you visit Nanaimo quite often, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 August 2013

It's quite simple: Riso wowed me. The food is a brilliant combination of simple concepts, brilliantly executed with a strong ethical focus on local and organic ingredients. The authentic italian pizzas are minimal and cooked to perfection; the lunch sandwices such as the chicken, spinach and brie are scrumptious yet very affordable; and the entrees are simply decadent. Plus I almost always pick up a loaf of some of the best sourdough breads I've ever had. I've been many times since the restaurant opened and go back every time I have a chance. I feel blessed to travel frequently into area of Riso!

Whelm_King, thank you for your review.
We're happy to be able to use such amazing local ingredients, and that regular customers like yourself enjoy them. I'm so glad you feel blessed to visit us so frequently - the feeling is mutual. :D

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Fesh organic sald with pieces of apple strings, aged cheese and a lovely vinagarette. Wanted to lik the plate. Desserts are homemade and fabulous. Presentation, service, excellent. Brunch on the weekends is so yummy. Good place to go before going to the Lantzville Market on Sundays from 1:30-4:30.

Thank you, Eleanor616, for your review.
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit with us.