“Worth the Drive”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Cobble Hill, Canada
“Worth the Drive”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I came across this restaurant while searching TripAdvisor for something else in the Nanaimo area. Lantzville? I have driven by often but never took the time to drive through this little community. (actually just a suburb of Nanaimo). The reviews for Riso were exceptional so we planned a trip from Cobble Hill, just to try it. That was a month ago and we were pleased but before recommending it I thought we should check it out again (is that a good excuse?) This past weekend we reserved for the Sunday brunch. We arrived at opening time, 11:30 am, and were quickly and pleasantly greeted and seated. The menu offered a nice range of options but but it was the ‘mushrooms on toast’ that got our attention. (4 kinds of mushrooms on toast, truffle oil, salad, poached eggs). It was excellent! In summary; the Food - rich and flavourable.; the Service – excellent and from all four of the staff present; the Ambiance – very pleasant. Riso also has its own organic bakery and sells a few different breads along with pasteries, cakes and preserves. We have now tried 4 different breads and all are wonderful. The positive reviews displayed here in TA are for a reason – Riso is one of the best restaurants in the Nanaimo area.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank CorkVictoria
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
CorkVictoria,
Thank you for your feedback. We're so glad you found us!

Vancouver Island, BC
“Very enjoyable, great atmosphere”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Went on a Saturday night with a reservation -- thank goodness because it was full! A small area, very cozy, quite warm due to the pizza oven. Waitress was very knowledgeable about wine pairings. Smallish menu but good food, mostly pizza and pasta dishes which concerned me because I am gluten intolerant. They were very accommodating and I ended up with soup, a great salad and prawn appetizer. The rest of the party were happy with their meal. I would definitely return.

• Visited October 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Hi Mickey1952,
Thanks for your review. We're glad we could accommodate your menu needs. Besides the pizza and pasta, we keep our entrees and most starters GF. If you feel like pasta sometime, let us know when you make your reservation and we'll prepare GF pasta for you!
We're looking forward to serving you again.
Nanaimo, Canada
“Wonderful...but”
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I had heard a lot of great things about Riso, especially about the the food. After living in Lantzville and cycling by Riso twice daily for nearly a year my girlfriend and I decided to finally visit and see for ourselves.

We had a reservation and after a few minutes of browsing the atmosphere we were greeted and seated.
This place is fairly open atmosphere, seating 30-40, and is slightly cramped. I sat in the booth side within elbow distance nearly to the patron at the next table. The decor is quite nice, lots of wood, nice open kitchen.

The service was quite slow, but I could see that they were busy, and normally this is something I don't mind. But the service, when present, just didn't seem present nor genuinely pleasant. It seemed rushed and uninspired...I felt like just another automaton on the factory line of their patrons.

Thankfully, the food was fabulous. The wine selection was really good also. We had a half litre of Kettle Valley Brakeman's select and started with the truffle fries. Very very nice fries, beats even Brasserie de l'ecole in Victoria on this dish.

I ordered the andouille pasta, and my partner had the lamb. Both lovely, wonderfully spiced and well portioned and served.

Alas, no room for the delicious sounding desserts.

So...we will go back, I have hope in my heart this was an off night for the service. (I think she may have been the proprietor.) The food was just THAT alluring.

Thanks Riso.

• Visited September 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Thank you for your review, David. We're glad you decided to dismount from your bikes and come in for a meal.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the service, and your acknowledgement that we were busy. As my husband and I (proprietor) were full throttle cooking your meals, it would have been one of our staff serving you that evening. I regret that we were not able to serve you to our usual, passionate standard.
We're looking forward to hosting you again, and maybe you'll have a little room for dessert.
Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada
“Happy to be here”
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We were for Sunday brunch so a full review was not possible. Riso,s has a very nice feeling. The decor is modern but with a very warm and personal touch. Lantzville is a very pretty village with a seaside location.
I tried the Italian Eggs Bennidict which was superb with the poached cooked perfectly.
We look forward to returning for dinner.

Tom Constable
Qualicum Beach

Visited September 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Thanks, Tom!
We're glad you enjoyed your brunch. We look forward to serving you again!
North Vancouver
“Excellent food, fine staff, wonderful ambience.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

All round top notch meal and restaurant experience! We are frequent visitors to the Nanaimo area and this place is definitely on our lunch and dinner priority list.

• Visited August 2013
Sarah W, General Manager at Riso, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thanks for your review and your words of praise, Hoojeanie.
Since you visit Nanaimo quite often, we hope to see you again soon!