“Sunsets, smiles, beautiful people, beautiful waves, beautiful vibes.”
Review of Baleal Surf Camp

Baleal Surf Camp
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I came here first in June and now October. I spent the interim waiting to get back to this wonderful place. Safety is paramount in their amazing surf instruction (not like some surf camps), rooms are beautifully kept and you'll go home with lifelong friends, a good dose of zen and happy vibes. Special mention to Audrey and Monica - the best surf instructors imagineable. Just go. It's awesome. :)

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed 8 October 2013

There were great conditions, wonderful waves. Very friendly staff, great pictures of the surfing (though 45 euro for a CD is a bit pricy, but as I forgot to get it from the reception, they sent it to Germany, so a huge thanks for you guys!)
I am an intermediate surfer, for my opinion, the teaching could be better I guess, but me and the instructor were just not made for each other. I think that most of the people from my group profited a lot from the teaching and everybody was happy. From the beginners group I also heard only the best and they made great progress.
We didn't have wifi in our room, which was a bit disappointing, but there is wifi at the beach or at the reception, which are 3 minutes walk away.
The location has a big supermarket close by. The restaurant are somewhat pricy for Portugal, but offer some tasty dishes.
Overall, I would go there again, for the waves. They are one of the best ones you can find. And the hardboards which you are free to use (not every surf school gives you this opportunity)
and the damn good fotos. Surfs up!

Room Tip: be sure you get wifi room (if you are in need of it of course)
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Baleal surf camp goes over and beyond expectations! Sadly, I just recently ended my second 2-week visit to baleal surf camp in the past 3 months. I can say that i will be back soon. I have gone from being a beginner white water surfer to a more confident green wave surfer much quicker than i ever expected would be possible. Baleal surf camp really provides an excellent platform for positive progression as the various surf spots allow for appropriate conditions for all skill levels. Not only is the location convenient but most importantly the staff is friendly, extremely skilled and supportive throughout the learning process. I have been lucky enough to have classes with many of the instructors and they all helped me progress each with their own unique teaching style. I cant wait for my next visit and the chance to move my surfing abilities onwards.

All i can say is ...book a visit! you wont be disappointed. the surf is great, you will make great new friends, have lots of laughs, good food and leave ready to plan your next trip back.

-ben

Room Tip: for solo travelers i recommend looking into booking a bed in the main hostel by the reception
Reviewed 5 October 2013

BSC ist still great school. However, as this was my third stay with them, I could see a few improvements last time making it an outstanding surf trip with great instructors. This time I had the feeling that the surf instrucstors were surfing more than in the last two years/times I´ve been here and giving less feedback, especially after two to three days. I found it a great school for beginners but for intermediates they have to improve (been to a better camp than this).

BBQ on Friday night was amazing the last two times BUT this time it was quite disappointing! was really looking forward but as it was this time, I can´t recommend it.... you get much more bang for your buck at some restaurants around the corner, like Gaucho da Picanha.

So, overall this time only 4 of 5 points. Don´t rest on your laurels guys!

Room Tip: try to get a room at the "reception-hostel" which is close to the beach, surf school, supe...
1  Thank J R
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We have been visiting the area for several years but this was our first Baleal surf camp experience as daughter no 1, at 7, was old enough to have a crack at surfing.
A shy child, she was welcomed with open arms by all the instructors and after 6 lessons was very comfortable on the board, standing, jumping, showing off with yoga poses and laughing and squealing lots.
Given that Bar Bruno - part of the surf school - is a pretty cool bar, I wasn't sure whether children would be welcome, but far from it. We ended up hanging out in the bar, on the beach, in the water, while the children had their surf lessons and spent many happy afternoons refuelling, the roast veg foccacia and burgers being particular favourites - oh, and they make a mean Margarita too!
We'll be back again, and again. Thank you Steve, Manuel, George and the rest of the crew for making our holiday awesome!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I love this place. The staff, the facilities and the location. I ended up having to go to hospital with a little injury and the care and service I received from everyone particularly Steven and Luis was fantastic. The yoga girls will most certainly be returning next year!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This was my first trip to Portugal and to learn surfing. The hostel was 200 meters from the beach, you can see and hear the ocean from the hostel. The staff from the hostel and the surf teachers are really friendly, polite and professional. If you need anything, just go to the reception and they will do everything to make it happen. The atmosphere in hostel easy really fantastic. I got to know with many amazing people from around the world. I learned a lot about surfing during my 2 week stay. It was by a mile my best holiday. I think this is the best place to learn surfing. There is nothing bad that I can say about this place. I´m definitely going back, hopefully during this year. But be careful with surfing, you might fall in love with it!

1  Thank Andrei M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baleal
MH Peniche
Peniche Surf Lodge
Peniche Surf Lodge
#3 of 101 in Peniche
Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Baleal Surf Camp? Share your experiences!