“Stellar Surf Coaches”
Review of Baleal Surf Camp

Baleal Surf Camp
Reviewed 13 January 2014

INSTRUCTORS
Felippe, Stephen & Manel look like they have been called in from Hollywood central casting to play perfect, hot, cool & fit surfers, but they are the real deal, passionate not only about surfing but also about teaching surfing. They derive real joy and satisfaction in seeing their students improve, and they provide ample attention and encouragement. Even though none of them are native English speakers, they speak English very competently and can relay tricky instructions about how to position your body, surfboard, etc. clearly. On top of that, they can make jokes in English and have a good time. They are stellar teachers.

ACCOMMODATION
I stayed at Baleal #2. It was very close to the surf camp and the supermarket--in short, very convenient. It's also clean but quite basic.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Baleal Surf Camp

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Very professional surf instructors for all levels from begginer to advance.They care about your vacation and fill it with emotions. Surfing lessons + parties + chiling out. Perfect place, awesome people

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank eivanchenkova
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I just had the best time ever. can't remember when last I have laughed as much as I did!! the instructors were excellent, professional, fun and determined to get you on top of the board ('the hand of god') I can't fault the holiday at all, the accommodation was good, the people friendly, welcoming and real, the food were great and the wine fantastic :) I would love to go back for all these reasons and mostly to surf again !! thanks to all the guys, you all deserve a medal!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Baleal Surf Camp is my #1 place this year, I've been there twice - in June and in October - and I'd go back there a thousand times if I could. It's a special place for real, and after my second stay I didn't change my mind at all about what I wrote here on TripAdvisor in July.

I've tried the surf hostel accomodation and also the apartment with 2 twin rooms, they're both great options (and both located 5 minutes walking distance from the beach) 'cause you get to spend the holiday with people from all over the world. I'd say the apartment option is really nice 'cause you have more privacy and you have one bathroom for just 4 people. Also, it feels more like you have your own house where you can go back after a funny and intense day of surfing.

The beach is beautiful and the surf spot in front of the school is perfect for surfers of any level. The lessons are funny and very useful, surfing 4 hours a day is just amazing and when you go to sleep at night you may be tired but you always have a biiiiiiiig smile upon your face, and you wake up in the morning with the same big smile.

As for the surf instructors, they're all very professional, skilled and endlessly patient. I've been lucky enough to start my "surf adventure" with probably the best surf instructors on Earth - Audrey and Monica - and when I went back to Baleal in October I asked to be in their group again 'cause they're awesome and 'cause I wanted to continue my surf journey with them since they already knew my level and my limits. They know exactly how to handle every single person in their group, they're always motivating you but they don't push you beyond your limits if you're not ready to step out of your comfort zone. They're just the best supporter that you could ever ask for when you're out there among the waves. They're the dream team, so make sure to surf with them!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank LittleMermaidAlex
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Hi guys!

For me and best friend, the week we spent taking lessons at the Baleal Surf Camp was great. The instructors were precise and determined to teach us as much as one can possible learn about surf in one week, even though the weather conditions weren't easy on us. Felippe introduced us the essential things we should know if we want to surf and played the bad instructor role in order to motivate us. Steve was the fun guy who tried to make us enjoy surfing, while Manel was the one that we found most helpful in the water - giving us feedback after every wave we would catch (:
The hostel where we stayed is close to the school, pretty clean and cosy.
Overall we had a great time and we are planning on going there again during spring.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We came in a group of 9 persons and almost for all of us it was a first experience with surfing and ocean. Baleal Surf Camp provides with everything you need to fall in love with surfing culture. We lived in a nice cosy house just few minutes walk from the beach and from the school so it was easy to get there any time. School has а big variety of wetsuits and boards and stuff is very nice and helpful. Unfortunately Bruno's Bar was closed but we heard good reference about it so next time we will definitely have a great party there.
And special a big thanks to our surf instructors Felippe, Steve and Manel, they made our week unforgettable, everyday they gave us useful information about behavior of the ocean and waves and clear theory about first steps of surfing. They payed a good attention to everyones in our team and girls were just amazed of them. And now we are planning our next trip to Baleal. We also had two trips, one to surf factory which was very interesting and the other to the old city, we definitely had a lot of fun and spent amazing week in Baleal Surf Camp.
Shortly, its a perfect place to start, good conditions, nice beaches, easy entrance into the water, good equipment and great team.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was the 2nd time we have been to Baleal, the first time in May we just had a few lessons but this time in October we went to the camp for 5 days which we found a lot better. The team will drive you to any of the spots where the surf is best and you also get to mix with the other people a lot more.
The whole Baleal team were great but the instructors, Stevie (Pact with the Devil), Felipe and Manel really made the experience special for us. They all have a strong love of the ocean and Peniche, and are really fun guy's to be around. Their instruction is top class and they are endlessly patient!
We stopped in one of the camps apartments just a few minutes away, this was ideal to get to the camp/beach/bars etc and well equipped/clean.
Overall we can't recommend the camp and the team enough.
Just book it!

Room Tip: Apartments are quiet clean and close to the action
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baleal
MH Peniche
Bsurf House
Bsurf House
#2 of 20 in Baleal
Praia D'El Rey Marriott Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Baleal Surf Camp? Share your experiences!