“Highlight of our trip through Scandinavia”

STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Overall: I very much can recommend this place for anyone willing to experience calm and nature in an uncomplicated but well-organized place.

Together with my two sons (10 and 12) we spent four nights at Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge. The three of us liked it very much. The place looks beautiful and one feels in perfect harmony with nature. It was a 'Into the Wild' feeling without having to hunt for food, though.

On the positive side: nice location, very peaceful ambiance, good quality basic food in the supply hut, free access to supply (i.e. trust based approach that we appreciated much), everything is well organized, no electricity/wifi and co :-) , lake, sauna.

On the negative side: limited sleeping comfort (my children slept like angels, though), no clear opening hours for receptions.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert B
There are newer reviews for STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed 2 weeks at Kolarbyn as volunteer and it was a fantastic experience. If you are looking for tranquility and nature it's the perfect place to stay. You can go for a walk around the lake, use the sauna, a small boat or you can also swimming in the lake. It's good to stay one night but it's better to stay two or three nights to enjoy entirely. If you go there I advice you to do a safari (beaver/moose) with "wildsweden". I went there at the beginning of june and there was not so much mosquitoes yet. Andreas, the owner is a really nice person and helpful.
Well don't hesitate and try this unique adventure!!!

Room Tip: If you want something more confortable, you can choose the wood cabin.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Kolarbyn Eco lodge was the highlight of our trip to Sweden! The little huts are straight out of a fairy tale, and were so warm and cosy and comfortable.

The host Andreas was great, showing us around the beautiful surrounds which include a stunning lake with a rowboat to use. A short walk around the lake takes you to the floating sauna which was a great way to unwind and warm up after a jump in the water.

The breakfast was delicious and everyone there was so friendly, chatting around the camp fires. We did a beaver and moose safari with Wild Sweden which was a great way to see the local wildlife.

I strongly recommend this unique experience

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ali446
Reviewed 2 April 2014

If you have to opportunity to visit this place while in Sweden, you should really do so. You live in the natural forest, without any electricity, make your own fire, go to the spring to get water, enjoy the lake, the sauna or just simply wander around in the beautiful surroundings. The staff is very helpful, the place has all the necessities (such as knives, candles etc.)
Its a nice place to stay for a romantic weekend as well as with family or friends - simply being there is an adventure, and resting for the soul.

Room Tip: The timmerkojan is a bit bigger and has bedclothes, while you have to bring a sleeping bag to the ot...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shoshoo
Andreas S, Owner at STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hi!
We are glad to hear that you like your stay!
Hope to meet you some other time =)
Regards, Andreas in Kolarbyn

Reviewed 30 March 2014

First of all, I would like to disclose that I actually visited the Kolarbyn lodge a few years ago but had not written this review, but since the dropdown menu provided options for a year back, so I selected April 2013. The reason I am writing this late is that I read an article on Yahoo Travel and I just wanted to share my experience.

I went their with my office mates and it was an unforgettable experience. Yes, it is a good way to completely cut oneself off from devices. After natural light fades away, it is candles and fires. We went in October so it was very chilly at night. We carried some food and it was a good meal around the fire. The wood was chopped aleady and all we had to do was buy it. The lake is a great spot for a pleasant dip and then after that we headed in to the cabin to warm up with the sauna. The toilet is an eco toilet which is shared by all visitors. The lodges are very basic and yet we had a great time chatting around the fire over drinks and hearty conversation. The staff members were very helpful and friendly.

The experience was great in terms of the feeling one gets when simply being away from all the trappings of our day to day life. Without light, it gets pitch black and the night sky is dotted with stars. The area was very peaceful and silent, apart from what little bit contributed by us visitors. The thing to take note is that the impact on the environment is as minimal as it can be (when compared to big hotels and resorts). It was also a reminder to us that such spaces of unspoilt nature are increasingly harder to come by.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank AyushBasu

Hello!

Great to hear that you like your visit in Kolarbyn.
Thanks also for writing about your stay and that you are happy about it.
Maybe meet you some other time in Kolarbyn =)
All the best, Andreas in Kolarbyn

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Granted this place is not for everyone...
• You sleep on wooden bed in a wooden hut
• You have to walk to the composting toilets in the dark
• You have birds flying into your cabin through the cracks above the door to wake you up
• Room service is nonexistent – you have to first make a fire and then make your own breakfast...oh and did I mention you need to get water from the well first, taking care not to disturb or displease the fairies who watch over the well?
• You have no showers, baths or running water of any variety. If you need to wash, you do so in the stream or throw yourself into to lake
• Oh – and visit in winter and it is cold...so, so cold. So to warm yourselves up you light a fire... But did I mention you first need to chop the wood yourself?

All the above are reasons why this place is so, so, so incredible. Given that it is a living nightmare for so many people – you’re guaranteed to only stay with like-minded people who love the outdoors and relish every moment with no mobile signal and no electricity. It’s one of my most favourite places to stay of all time...and I did so whilst suffering from raging flu! I dream about this place and night and am frantically plotting when I can return.

It’d be wrong of me to write a review and not mention how managing the camp managers and guides are who operate out of Kolarbyn. They are so friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable – they’ll advise you on the tastiest mushrooms to pick from the forest, identify the best places to see wildlife and will share their lovely warm coffee with you when you wake from a very late lie in

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ECCLE
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I visited this place in summer so it was hot every day (there was a storm one night, but the cabin was dry and cosy). There are not too many biting bugs in the area which was nice. The lodge is near a large lake that allows for pleasant walks in the area. There are blueberries growing everywhere and peaceful surroundings. We didn't see a moose but saw some moose tracks and droppings. We also saw a grass snake while walking and many fish while swimming and cute little red squirrels and birds that visit the lodge itself.

This is a great experience, living with nature, washing in the lake, cleaning pans and dishes in the stream, drinking water from a well and cooking on an open fire. Rowing on the lake at sunset is very romantic and you can make use of the floating sauna day or night. At night we lit out cabin and the sauna by candle light. It’s best if you ditch electric torches and mobile phones so as to escape entirely from the modern world but if you need to get back to modernity, the local town is only a 5 minute drive away.

This is the best thing I did in Sweden and I highly recommend it for all nature lovers. I am sure I would have seen more animals if I had been able to afford a tour but I was travelling on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Death_Trip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skinnskatteberg
Farna Herrgard & Spa
#1 of 1 in Skultuna
Wedevag Bed & Breakfast
Wedevag Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 2 in Lindesberg

Been to STF Kolarbyn Eco-Lodge? Share your experiences!