“An amazing adventure”

Huilo Huilo Montana Magica Lodge
California
“An amazing adventure”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Montana Magica is part of the Huilo Hilo complex which also includes the Baobab Hotel. Both hotels are interconnected. Any comment about one hotel also applies to the other since Management is one and the same. This place is a must see, unique in the world. The concept could not be better: It is built in the middle of a biosphere declared as a national heritage by UNESCO. Biosphere here means Patagonian wilderness. The place is extremely remote, from whatever direction you are trying to travel there. Making a reservation is equally challenging. The tourist office at the International Airport in Santiago tried to book a room for me. They were told by someone at Huilo Huilo that they could not take a reservation over the phone and that I would have to send them an e-mail. I did as requested, but there was never a reply. When I met some folks later on my trip they told me that the hotel is notorious for poor service, but they tried to call on my behalf. They could not get through to any of the phone numbers found on the internet. Hours later, it so happened that there was a tourist office at the bus terminal in Valdivia from where I intended to start my overland journey to the hotel. They tried to call, but told me that they could not do it for me because the number was not a local one, but one in Santiago. They referred me to the Locutorio Publico where someone dials the number, routes the call to a nearby phone booth and keeps track of the charges. Guess what, I got a reservation. I was quoted a price that was difffrent from what a friend of mine got quoted only a few days earlier for a basic single occupacy room. Anyway, that price seemed to hold until I arrived at around 9:15 p.m.. At check-in the price had gone up by approvx. USD 40. I made a fuss and was given the originally confirmed price. This price was good until it came to check-out, when again they tried to overcharge me. This time by double the price. Again I had to argue with them. This time the excuse was that they thought I had reserved a room with double occupancy. Finally this got straightened outy, too and I left toward San Martin. Going there in winter is a challenge because beyond Pirihueico there is no public transport available. You either have to hitch a ride from someone you meet on the ferry from Puerto Fuy or you are out of luck and may have to return with the same ferry 2 1/2 hours later or so.
Coming back to the hotel: All in all a worthwhile experience. The architecture is stunning and so is the food and the scenery. Yet, one more caveat for the winter travelers: the hotel cannot be heated comfortably. There are some ugly space heaters inside, but they cannot heat up the entire place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
18 Thank BHSCalifornia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 March 2011

We were traveling through lakes district and thought we stay there one night. It was almost a 4 hour drive from Puerto Varas, longer than we expected. The roads are not well marked once you get off Rt 5, and we had some trouble finding it. The last hour is on very rough dirt roads. But, it is an amazing place, and worth seeing. It is not a place to go for one night - and, listen carefully, it is NOT a place to go if you don't speak Spanish. For a resort of its type, it was shocking that no one, not even at the front desk, spoke more than a few words of broken English. The slide show describing treks was entirely in Spanish - we could not understand our options at all. Also, as an aside, we had emails confirming a room in Magic Mountain, but they put us in Hotel Baobob. This was not a huge deal, but disappointing. Grounds, trails, pool, spa, all spectacular.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
22 Thank robdavis309
Somerset, UK
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Whoever designed this hotel must be insane or at least have an unhealthy obsession with tree houses. That said it is still a really good 'four star quality' hotel in an amazing location with plenty of interesting activities available.

The rooms are comfortable (we were in Magic Mountain), the staff efficient and friendly. The chunky wood construction makes it a little bizarre - rather like staying in Fred Flinstone's house according to my wife.

There are plenty of good excursions available (to suit all ages). We did two great walks. And don't miss the excellent walk from the hotel (about an hour) down to rapids and waterfalls on the Huilo Huilo river.

Although the hotels were busy, some of the buildings in the complex looked rundown and derelict - there is a 'pub' which was closed and a rather strange area with animal enclosures.

We ate breakfasts and a couple of meals in the restaurant - satisfactory but not great. We also ate at a restaurant in a hotel with a fabulous lakeside location in Puerto Fey which is a couple of kilometers down the road - don't remember the name but you can't miss it. Good meal but for some reason they served my soup at the same time as my main course - probably my poor Spanish. There are also a couple of cheaper restaurants in nearby Neltume.

I recommend these hotels even if it's just to experience their unusual design and ambiance.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Spineynorman
Zurich
Reviewed 13 December 2009

Getting there over gravel roads is the not what we liked most, but we knew that as in many other areas, roads still have a rough surface. In our case it was even more special as it had rained for a couple of days ... However - from the moment we got there we were spoilt: excellent and helpful reception, friendly bellboy, the waitresses, the gentlemen at the bar, and many others - they did their best just to provide an excellent service to all the guests. Unfortunately the weather was not as we expected, but the stay at the hotel compensated (at least for part) of the missed beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Bariloche-61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neltume
Huilo Huilo Nothofagus Hotel
#8 of 11 in Neltume
Karu Domos del Fuy
Karu Domos del Fuy
#2 of 3 in Neltume

Been to Huilo Huilo Montana Magica Lodge? Share your experiences!