“Disappointment in Big Bear”
Review of Robinhood Resort

Robinhood Resort
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Disappointment in Big Bear”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I read the reviews on this place as far as staff and rooms. My experience was far from what I read.
Room shower valves didn't work, it was either was cold water or hot. First night of a 2 night stay. A number of guys & girls were partying down below in the parking lot, several customers told the them people were trying to sleep (12:30) it just got louder when they turned on there music from there car. I called the front desk, no one answered. At check out, I spoke with day manager about these issues. He told me that the night manager was patrolling all night that night, BS, that group didn't stop till 3:30am or so. I also placed a call to the police that night, they didn't show either. No apologies from management, I'm sure people did have a great time here, but when the chips were down, management was disappointing at best. This was at the Pine Knot location, not the Lakeview.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I came down off the Pacific Crest Trail May 6, 2013 and stayed three nights in a double with a tub. Because I am a PCT hiker, the kind staff gave me a discount: $50/night. I met several different staff at the front desk and they were all very accommodating and personable with great senses of humor. They are very hiker-friendly. The beds were very comfortable and the room clean - a huge difference from the hostel one block away which charges $22 for a dorm bed and $40 for a private (towels extra and there is a line for the shower). The hostel is fine, but if you want some more privacy and quiet, stay at Robin Hood Resort. There is wifi. It is right on the main drag and across from the BBL post office and many local restaurants and shops. I would definitely come again.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for here!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank charpackage
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Went to Bigbear for a night during President's Day weekend. It was a cozy stay and we had all that we needed. We had our own heater, which we definitely used. They offered discounts for lift tickets. The location was walking distance to the restaurants and a short drive to the mountains. We had a beautiful view of the lake when we went outside. The room was clean and cozy. The staff was very welcoming and the service was great. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit. Enjoy!

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and it was nice when we got to see the lake. They had no fitness center...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I would have given this "resort" one star, but the fact that it is walking distance to town earned it a second star. That is really its only redeeming quality. My husband took me up to Big Bear for Valentine's weekend. Once we checked into the hotel, it was apparent that this would not be the romantic weekend for which we were hoping. The part of the hotel/motel we stayed in was filled with 20-somethings and families with young kids. The walls and floors are so paper thin that when the guests above us would walk around it sounded like the ceiling was going to cave in. The children in the room staying next to us woke up by 6 am each day, so sleeping in was not an option. I think we got a solid 4 hours each night we stayed there. We left as early as possible on Sunday and could not wait to get out of that place. I would never stay there again. I'd rather drive up & back for the day than stay in that dump. The whole room just gave me the heeby jeebies. I wasn't expecting THAT much since its Big Bear, but for what we paid for the room I expected to at least be able to rest after a long day of snowboarding.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a top floor room if you want any chance of sleeping. Better yet, just don't st...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaDaDa20
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 February 2013

This review is for the Chalets on Switzerland Blvd. next to Snow Summit. We just stayed over this past President's weekend. We stayed in Chalet B with an occupancy of 10 people with enough space for 4 cars. I have to give this place 5 stars just for the location. It's literally right next to the parking lot for Snow Summit. Hit the slopes in the morning and come back for lunch without having to pay for that god awful food they server at Snow Summit. That's the only bright side about this property, oh wait, they also have an indoor jacuzzi. Let me list the amenities with this place: 42" flat screen TV, fireplace, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.

Now the negatives:
This place is entirely carpeted, including the bathrooms. I don't know if that's a very smart idea to have carpet in the bathrooms. Good thing the carpet is a dark color or else you will probably see all of the pee stains. I don't know about you, but I don't think a bathroom should have any carpets in them. Just so wrong and dirty. The bedroom on the first floor doesn't even close because the genius that installed the strike plate on the door didn't line it correctly so the dead latch won't go in the hole. Did I mention that the entire place smelled like a wet dog?? Well, that's kind of a given considering it's right next to the slopes and all the snowboards, skis and boots coming in from the snow. Because of the location, don't expect your 3G/4G smartphone to work at this place. Whether it be Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint, you are not going to be able go online with any consistency. I can not believe this place does not have any WiFi. Are we still in the stone ages? The carpets look dirty throughout the entire place and it creeks everywhere you walk. The beds feel dirty and the sheets didn't feel clean at all. Although they smelled clean, the linens that's used needs to be updated. It feels like you are staying at a Motel at a truck stop. The owners really needs to renovate the entire chalet. If they don't have the funds for that, at least update the sheets and the bath towels.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Ventura, CA
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Not a big fan of Hampton Inn style efficiency hotels, but our stay at the Robinhood Resort was fabulous. We resided in room 52, which is a cozy and large two bedroom former manager's apartment. It is totally wood paneled, very warm (gas fire place), very accommodating for 6 people who appreciated the ease of access to the town of Big Bear. Everything is conveniently located outside your door, so walking and shopping is a breeze. If you desire a 1940's style, think black and white movie accommodation in Big Bear, this is the place you've been looking for.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Yokosuka
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We just got back from a great ski weekend with our friends and family. We stayed at their Cabin A property, which is about a five minute walk to the Snow Summit Ski Resort chair lifts (you can even see the resort from your doorstep). The location was perfect for us having small kids. We could wake up in the morning, take our time, and walk to the lifts whenever we were ready to start the ski day. My caveat is not to expect much from the cabin amenities. You are paying for location, and that's it (ok. The staff were friendly and the check out process was easy and simple). The cabin offerings are bare minimum. It gives you a feeling of staying in a motel 6 type place. Everything is old, from the bathrooms, the bedrooms, to the things in the kitchen. We had to take turns using utensils. There were no spatulas for cooking meals. No towels to wipe your plates after washing them. The reason I am giving it a 4 out of 5 is because of the location. With the little kids, the stress of not having to get in and out of car with all of our ski gear to get to the resort was worth the money we paid for the lodging that barely offered anything else.

Room Tip: If you are going to get one of their cabins at the base of Snow Summit, be sure to bring your own co...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Vintage Lakeside Inn
Vintage Lakeside Inn
#11 of 19 in Big Bear Region
The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Robinhood Resort? Share your experiences!