“Room OK but spartan. Clean. Furniture old and needs to be...”

Travelodge Big Bear Lake CA
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Reviewed 8 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert R
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have previous experience in the hotel industry so I know very well what excellence in hospitality looks like. I am also very realistic and reasonable that when you stay at a Travelodge, you can't hold it to the same standards as a Five diamond hotel. However, there are certain standards that you would hope would be met when you stay at any property. Unfortunately, they were a bit lacking here. I paid at least twice the usual rate for this hotel as it was labor day weekend. Obviously I was paying for the date, not the room.
The desk agent was out showing someone else one of the rooms so I was literally left at the front desk for about 5 minutes wondering if there was anyone there. There was a bell but nobody came when I rang it. When she finally returned she said hello, but didn't give any indication that she would attend to me after she checked in the previous guests. I did learn that even though they were a walk in, they paid a rate $20 less than I had paid when I booked directly through the Travelodge website. I thought they promised that they had the lowest rate? She was cordial but not overly welcoming. The check-in experience was fine and she did cover the necessities but didn't go out of her way by any means to make it a great experience.
The room was about what I'd expect but with a few caveats. It wasn't exceptionally clean - which is the one thing that is a must regardless of the type of hotel. The rooms were clearly in need of some maintenance and in my opinion could be pretty nice rooms if they were to get some TLC. Beware - there is NO AC and NO screens on the window! There was plenty of seating in the room with a desk and chair, a lounge chair and an ottoman. The beds were just fine. There is even a little stove and sink. Too bad the sink is broken and constantly dripping. I didn't report this as we didn't need to use that sink and figured it would be more of a hassle to try to have someone fix it while we were there. Hopefully they'll get around to fixing it some day!
The hot tub water was nearly black and the pool's water level was short by over 1ft. The maintenance worker came in and told us he was closing the pool just after we walked in, but decided to let the kids swim before he did. While I'm appreciative they could swim, it wasn't a great experience.
I hope Travelodge will take a look at these things because honestly with a little TLC, this could be a very good property for the class/price.

1  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Reviewed 1 September 2013

The hotel was not clean! I killed 8 spiders in our room, beds were so hard and uncomfortable, the lighting was terrible and the breakfast was poor! Not impressed what so ever! I complained about our stay and especially the spiders! I was told "What do you expect, you are in the mountains and along a creek!" I live along a creek at home with spiders but I spray outside twice a year and spiders don't come in! I actually tried to get reservations at another hotel for the remainder of our stay but it was during Tour de Big Bear and everything was booked!! Oh and the spa was broken and the pool was full of bugs! Complete disappointment!! I have stayed at the Motel 6 in BB also and that place was so much better than Travelodge! Ha....who would of thought!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort
Robinhood Resort
Robinhood Resort
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Travelodge Big Bear Lake CA? Share your experiences!