“Best value! Great for family”
Review of Big Bear Frontier

Big Bear Frontier
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I paid $60/night for a double queen bed room in the "hotel" portion in the back by the lake. It was wonderful. The room was large, clean, and nicely appointed. It came with a fridge, microwave, and fireplace. They also have little cabins you can rent in the middle and front area of the property (front relative to the main road). They also have a house you can rent right on the lake which looked amazing.

The hotel has a heated pool, hot tub, grill area, huge deck right on the lake, and a dock you can walk out on to fish or hang out. The location is great for easy walking to dining and retail.

It wasn't fancy. Know that. But it was easily nice enough for my tastes, had a great family feel, and was an unbeatable value. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: All of the hotel rooms were good as they are next to the deck by the lake.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Will2TravelMore

Reviewed 29 March 2012

This resort might have potential to be a lovely resort, due to it's location, however, the cottages are old and VERY DIRTY. We left because the kids had bites on them, everyone was itchy either from FLEAS and/or BED BUGS, we also encountered ANTS. The girls that work there during the day at the front desk are very nice, but the male staff at night are not very nice at all. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO ANYONE.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Flaneur33
bigbearfrontier, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2012

It is with great concern and dissappointment that we get your review. Because of our altitude, fleas or bed bugs do not inhabit Big Bear, however, we can have ants. Every hotel, motel, cabin, and home can have ants at during different times in Big Bear. Usually when they are looking for food and there is snow on the ground, they come inside. We spray and have a pest control come on a regular basis, but sometimes we can't stay ahead of them, When food is left on the cupboards, or a drop of soda, or even a candy wrapper, is left on the cupboards or furniture, the ants seem to find it. Our staff does try to be accomodating to all of our guests, our housekeeping takes pride in the many comments of the cleanliness of the cabins, because we truly value our guests and their business. We are sorry that you had expectations beyond what we were able to fulfill.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

My family of four had our first (& very last minute) trip to Big Bear last weekend and although we don't have anything to compare (with many options available) I don't think we'll need to as; we would definitely return! With only a short two night stay that landed perfectly with about a 12" snow storm (in-between our driving days although we were delayed a bit in the AM of check-out); we had an excellent mini getaway to the local mountains.
Greatly exceeded our expectations,

Room; 1 Bed Cabin w/ Fireplace (& Queen Sofa) - #3

Highlights:
Freindly service, from booking thru check-out.
Awesome Grounds; Grills decent play area
Pet Friendly!
Convenient Access to Everything! (lake, town, alpine slide!)
Creditable Amenities; Heated Pool, Spa, Movie Rental, Pool Table, Comp. Coffee/Cocoa,
Room decor/charm
Clean; Spacious, Cozy
Single building cabins; no shared walls

Lowlights:
Really Dark Shower
Limited Kitchen Supplies (although they were probably just a call and walk to the office away)
Pretty Close qtrs to neighbors/parking (gotta maximize their space and it isn't unreasonable)
Snow Removal (no plow until day after storm stopped)
Dated appliances/amenities
Ants (not resorts fault understandable)

All-in-All a really Great Value and as long as you aren't expecting brand new 'resort' accommodations you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Call & review cabins online...Many different layouts and sizes.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Vacations_Four_Life
bigbearfrontier, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

We are thrilled that you found us and chose us. We hope you will make Big Bear Frontier your home away from home when you travel to Big Bear Lake. Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We look forward to seeing and serving you again.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Great rustic cabins, wood burning fire places ( make sure you buy wood ) easy walk into the village, great bars and restaurants near by.

Ski fields are a mile or so away.

Cabins had everything you need, to have a fire going while it's snowing outside, magical.

Great value and already looking into go back next year for six nights.

Great place to stay in Big bear, friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Rosscoe68
bigbearfrontier, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2012

I am pleased that you found our cabins so convenient, being close to the village and the slopes, and enjoyed our fireplaces and the lake front cabins. It is our pleasure to serve you and help that you have a memorable stay in Big Bear. I am so glad that you will come back next year and spend more time with us. We want you to make our place, your place, away from home. Let the front desk agent know that you wrote a review on Trip Advisor. The staff always loves tthe compliments and want to thank you when they see you on your next trip. Again, thanks for choosing us!

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have been going up to Big Bear for a few years for winter fun. Finally I found a place affordable and a place I can stay if I don't feel like hitting the slopes. I chose a onebedroom cabin for 20 dollars more a night than the motel style room. The room was clean and had a kitchen and a fire place. I cooked 2 dinners and have no complaints with the kitchen equipment. I stayed back one of the days and enjoyed hanging out in the cabin, sitting next to lake, hanging at the large comfortable lobby. My only complaint is the wi-fi is sooooo but there is a computer in the lobby. I even had to fax something and asked where I could find a fax to the front desk and they were kind enough to fax for me!!!! I even walked to town (10 min slow paced)!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bglad
bigbearfrontier, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you so much for the time you took to write a review for us. We appreciate it and the fact that you point out so many things about staying at Big Bear Frontier. It is fun to be able to do a variety of things, hit the slopes, enjoy the lake, take that little stroll into the village, all in a rest and relaxing pace.! We apologize about the WIfi, we are in the process of revamping it. We recently made some changes to our overall telephone service and therefore, don't have the Wifi fine tuned. We are working on it. Yes, we will fax for you, and you can get faxes, as well, if you need them. Thank you for staying with us, we hope you have found your home away from home and will return to see us often. Always let the front desk if there is something that you need or if there is any infraction's that we can fix to make your stay more comfortable. It is our pleasure to to know we have happy guests. Thanks again for chosing us!

Roger
GM.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

By no means a luxury stay, but stay at Frontier was okay. Front-desk person was very friendly, room was clean (slightly-worn), and right on Big Bear Lake. Location is very good ... only minutes from Bear Mountain. My sons and I were able to replenish and his the slopes all day.

Room Tip: Better to stay by the lake -- more quiet and much better views.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Eduardo2626
bigbearfrontier, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you liked the convenience and were able to maximize your trip by having a nice clean place to stay. Thank you for your candid remark about the room being a bit worn. That happens fast in a "high traffic" resort, so it was a good reminder that we must pay attention to that real soon.

Please come back and stay with us and always let our staff know how we can make your stay better.

Roger,

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Just got back from a quick stay at Big Bear Frontier (just one night) and I really loved the hotel. My girlfriend and I chose one of their rooms with a fireplace in it and the room couldn't have been better! This isn't 5-star luxury, mind you. But the rooms are perfect in their quaint nature (it's all wood trim / wood decorations... really gets you in that "cabin" feel). Our room was across a street from the main lobby, but it was right next to the lake and had an unbelievable view! Beds were comfortable for hotel beds and the room was quite clean considering this is a pet friendly hotel.

They have VHS tapes that you can take to your room for free. Archaic technology, but I still appreciated being able to get a movie for free! They have a pool & jacuzzi, but we unfortunately didn't get to utilize either since our stay was so short. We were there for the skiing and I have to say the location of this hotel can't be beat. You're no more than 10min away from Snow Summit or Big Bear. And for after hitting the slopes, this is walking distance to many restaurants / bars.

My only complaint is that come morning time I could hear my neighbors and the housekeeping staff from outside as if they were RIGHT in our room. I had no clue from the night before as everyone was being quite, but it was a shocker in the morning. No one was even partying - this was just things like people taking a shower in the room next door, or someone shutting their car door / trunk. All of it sounded like we had left our door open! Not a bid deal since we wanted to get up to hit the slopes anyway, but if there was people partying late at night or being loud earlier in the morning (we woke up to noise at 8:30am, so it wasn't obnoxious) I can see how it would be almost unbearable.

Beyond the noise creep, this place was spot on and is somewhere I would definitely stay again for a quick weekend ski trip!!

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor in the "hotel" near the lake. If you don't need one of their...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing us as your place to stay. I apologize for the noise level that you endured early in the morning. Glad you needed to get up to get out on those slopes, but hear what you are saying, just in case you or someone else needed to sleep in.

Yes, next time, ask for a 2nd floor room, down towards the lake. Better yet, get a cabin where there won't be neighbors quite so close. We will ask our staff to be more quiet, as it is, we ask them not to even be out on the property before 9:00 am, unless there is an emergency.

Come back and see us soon. If you find your room or area noisy, ask the front desk staff if they have a quieter place to move you too.

Roger,

#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
#4 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Big Bear Frontier? Share your experiences!