“Pretty good and could be great”

Big Bear Frontier Cabins
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
“Pretty good and could be great”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed in cabin #258. The maintenance shed was outside our back window and they were renovating the front office so they were sawing and using power tools most of our visit. I have to say that the cabin itself was good and very clean. They could use some updating. The bedspreads and mattresses are old and the microwave and coffee pot are about to croak. The Mr. Coffee had to be more than 10 years old and took 45 minutes to brew coffee.
I wish there was another place to sit and watch TV besides the bed. The TV faces the bed and doesn't move and because of the jacuzzi there is no seating except for the bed.
The pool motor and spa were out when we arrived but the pool was repaired the next day. The spa was repaired the day before we left but they left the parts out on the sidewalk in plain view for several days and this did not match the level of hard work we saw from the maintenance crew.
On Friday night there was one guy cleaning up the maintenance shop until after 7pm. I am sure that this shows dedication but when your window faces the shop the noise is annoying.
I was impressed with the grounds and how clean they were but I thought the patio near the lake and the "beach" were disappointing. They did not match the attractiveness of the rest of the grounds.
The staff was friendly and we looked around Big Bear at other places and thought that this place looked much nicer than most of the others we saw.
I would stay here again I just wish they would pay attention to the details and take this place from good to great!

Room Tip: At first we were wishing we had a room by the lake but we ended up happy with our location other tha...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rhonda S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
Whittier, California
Reviewed 1 August 2013

My "Special Requests" asked for a firm bed and quiet room PLEASE!!!! when I booked this room (we are an older couple). Our room was in the two story building. Couldn't leave the windows open because all the rooms in this two story building had families with children staying there and the children were running up and down the stairs and on the second floor back and forth continuously outside and inside. The spa tub above our room was turned on and off continuously and sounded like a jet engine. The spa tub was built hanging down in our room (building code) is that legal? We gave up trying to sleep and decided to go home. Went to the office for help and was basically told they could not help us because we didn't book thru them and what did we expect for a lesser priced room. Didn't realize I would be penalized for using Booking.com. This made no sense to me and what did that have to do with my current problem? Manager didn't offer to move us to another area or any solution other than saying she would call the family above our room to complain. The bed was also awful too!

Room Tip: Choose a different place. We paid $109.00 for that room. Apparently that is too little for a good...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Debbe L
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay at my property. Many times when people book with third party websites such as Booking.com, special requests aren't relayed into our system. I always encourage our guests to book directly with our property to ensure they always get the exact room type their looking for.

I assure you that every one of our rooms that have spa tubs in them are only located on the first or bottom floor, therefore it is impossible that one would be hanging down in your room. I will however investigate the noise that you are referring to so that future guests do not encounter this problem.

It is my understanding that you didn't stay long enough at the front desk to be offered another room and left immediately after speaking to my clerk. We always want our guests to be 100% satisfied and I encourage my staff to take the necessary steps to resolve all issues. It is my hope that you will try our property again.

Best,
Ryan Vasquez
Oak Hills, CA
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in cabin 9. One small bedroom with double bed and a pull down murphy bed in the living room. Full kitchen stocked with dinnerware, silverware, etc. This cabin is close to the office and pool which was great since our granddaughter was at the pool a lot. As other reviewers have noted, they need new tv's but its nice to borrow movies from the office when you are traveling with kids. Entire grounds are clean and pretty with picnic areas and bbq's for your use. We were about 300' from the beach on the lake. There is a nice deck with chairs and tables for guests use down on the beach. Close to downtown and don't miss the Alpine Zoo at Moonridge while you are in town.Nice staff here too!

1 Thank oakhillstraveler
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I went to Big Bear to visit some family. I love the atmosphere. I have stayed at a few different places before and decided to try Big Bear Frontier. I was bringing my two kids and one of their friends so we booked a three bedroom on the lake and I was amazed by the view. We arrived early and I wasn't sure if we would be able to check in but I gave it a shot anyway. The front desk girl with long curly hair, I forgot to get her name, got us in right away. She offered my kids some videos to watch before they went to bed, and gave them a basket ball to play with while I unpacked. I wish I had one of her everywhere we travel. We got to the cabin and WOW! We were lake front with a beach area and large back deck. The rooms were perfect! I will never stay anywhere else when I visit my Mom and Dad again! Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Ask for the section by the lake.
1 Thank Brianna R
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Very basic motel style accomodations in an excellent location. The first room we were given was on the bottom floor with a great view of the stairway. It hed 2 queens and seemed ok but we found a wet bathroom floor from a leaky toilet so we were moved to one of the individual cabins with a kitchenette with a small picnic area just outside the door and waterfront just steps away. Enjoyed the small front porch seating area. The rooms do not have a/c so remained fairly warm until evening. A small whole house fan would help draw cooler air in during the warmer months. Beds need upgrade. Our first time in a Big Bear hotel after recently selling a family cabin.

3 Thank endlessummer7084
Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I agree with the general consensus of other reviews: Very nice front desk staff, basic, clean rooms (which include a refrigerator, iron and ironing board), but outdated. Beds had the "old school Motel-type" comforters and such, but they were ok comfort-wise. We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds right by the lake. Parking is free. We booked our room through Expedia and paid ~$160 or so for a Saturday night in June.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kls118
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Excellent place to spend time with your family or as a couple. Relaxing, activities around. Cabin was clean and perfect size.
Staff was friendly and the area is beautiful.
There are a couple of stores nearby where you can get food and there are grills outside to make your own food.
Movies and games available at the reception.

Room Tip: Cabins with lake view are a bit more expensive, but worth it. Room near door gets cold really quick...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
#4 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Big Bear Frontier Cabins? Share your experiences!