“It is important to have clear expectations”

Big Bear Frontier Cabins
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Sao Paulo, SP
“It is important to have clear expectations”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Don`t expect any luxury otherwise you will surely be disappointed.
This is a simple mountain hotel. It is clean, they clean the rooms daily but do not do the dishes.
Shower was just ok. Bathroom had no tub. Room small but ok.
This was nice to have a kitchen as we were with our kids so we could fix our dinner some days.
There is no front desk if you arrive late (you have to call a number to get instructions for your keys).
Nice fireplace in our chalet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Turkish first
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 18 January 2014

The cabin had an electric fireplace (a heater with glowing bulbs to look like a fire). This did not even work consistently. The heat broke down completely on Christmas Eve. They interrupted up evening 3-4 times and finally brought in 3 space heaters. So instead of a cabin with a real fireplace (told repeatedly by desk clerk - we DID have a fireplace), we awoke to people climbing around trying to fix the heat. I went to the lobby in hopes of sitting in front of a fire and was very rudely told she was way too busy to start the fire. When asked about the message I sent through Booking. com, she said nobody ever reads those. When I mentioned about no heat in our room, she said, "yeah, that's why I spent over $600 to try and get it fix on Christmas day." I had sent the message before our arrival because I read other reviews that indicated a virtual 'toss up' for comfort and staff. Unfortunately, despite trying head off problems - they ignored the message or any hopes for a joyful Christmas.

7 Thank carolama2014
Ontario, California
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Found them through http://tripadvisor.com, booked a 2 queen beds room for January 10-January 12th. The hotel is small, separate from cabins and our room was downstairs.

The Frontier is close to everything we needed, took us 3 min drive to the Village area. The lake is just a little walk down and they have a nice patio with outdoor seating with a lake view. My kids were feeding ducks on the shore, so they had lots of fun. :)

Restaurants, Walgreens, coffee shops and ski rental places were super close and also the snow sleds and snow play were right down the street.

We had a lot of parking; the rooms were clean, simple, spacious. Nothing fancy but it got the job done. Shower, toilet worked great, had no problems with neither hot water nor heater. Had Visio TV in our room, worked fine.

Staff seemed to be nice, didn't talk much to them, so can't say anything specific.

The only problem was the Wi-Fi. My dad had to put the internet password every other 20-30 minutes and he was pretty annoyed and pissed after that. So I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5.

So far, a great experience for the first trip to the Big Bear. :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shivneh
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time at our property. My staff and I work very hard to make everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible. I'm sorry about the problem you encountered with the Wi-fi; it is unfortunately a security feature added by our IT Department. The feature allows users to access full speeds of the internet while others are logged off or not using the service at any given time.

Best,

Ryan Vasquez
General Manger
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed in a "lake front" hotel room. If you are lucky to get a room in the end of the corridor, you can see the lake outside of your room. We were not so lucky, so we saw a corner of the lake before we enter the room and after we get out of it. Once inside the room you have to close the curtains, then you see nothing but the fire place (you have to walk long way to the front office to get the wood). The room was old and the flour was sinking. The bed was uncomfortable. Our next door neighbor (with kids) were extremely noisy. And therefore we made the reservation for 5 nights but checked out after one night stay.

2 Thank nianchen99
California
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Our one-bedroom lakefront cabin already made for a good stay. There were a few noticeable markings that you could tell the jacuzzi and bathroom were a little worn down, but nothing that would deter us from staying there again. We think the smoke alarm was poorly placed in the bedroom because any time a log fell off the fire, the emanating smoke immediately set off the alarm. (And no, we didn't cause any fires :P) The bedroom was spacious, and the kitchen/dining room/living room was pretty small, but good enough for my husband, my dog, and me. The location was great (walking distance to The Village), and the staff was friendly enough.
The next day, we were informed of a gas leak near our cabin, so they moved us to a bigger cabin although it wasn't lakefront. Upon walking into our new cabin, all I could think was "thank you, gas leak!" :). Cabin #262 was beautiful! Three bedrooms and one bathroom, a huge living room, and a complete kitchen and dining room! I almost felt bad not having to use the two other rooms, but we took full advantage of the spaciousness, comfort, and the "rustic luxury" (I don't know any other way to describe it) of this huge cabin. It was a sweet upgrade! And this cabin was so beautiful that we've already told our closest friends that we have to go back there for a double-date vacation.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Excuse my dramatic title but that is what happened. If you are looking for a place to stay a night or two with your friends or family. This is a decent place. If you want a nice romantic getaway, DO NOT COME HERE. I had a really romantic night planned out and it didn't happen.

1. Office says they close at 10 and they closed at 9:15 so I had to go to a store and buy firewood.
2. Chimney did not work well and the whole room filled with smoke (no romantic chimney fire or s'mores)
3. Half way into filling the jacuzzi with hot water, the hot water runs out. Waited an hour, hot water never came back. (Jacuzzi room was the most important thing for me in the trip. Very disappointed I couldn't even use it.)

Again, my review is more of a couple romantic getaway night.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank sjrosas
Ryan V, General Manager at Big Bear Frontier Cabins, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I do apologize for you not being 100% satisfied with your stay. It is always my hope that guests inform me of there issues prior to departure so that I can provide a solution. This was not the case in your situation. In fact, I called you after your review was published to offer a free night in our cabins, which you declined.

Usually during the off season our office does close earlier, but never before 10PM. I'm sorry if you came by with no one here. I do hope that the store across the street from our property was able to see you firewood. With regards to our in-room fireplaces, our chimney's are swept bi-annually and are always open to prevent smoke from coming in to the room. Many times, guest will use wood without necessary fire-starters, which could cause wood to smoke. I also apologize if you felt there was not enough hot water necessary for your whirlpool tub. These units have extra water heaters to accommodate these tubs.

In closing, it is my hope that you will reconsider my offer and try one of our cabins. I'm sure you will be 100% satisfied.

Ryan Vasquez
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed at the Frontier during the last few weeks of October in the shoulder season. The cabin we stayed in #21 had a view of the lake and a nice little deck out front. Our unit had been recently remodeled with nice woodwork and a spa in the bedroom. It is just a short walk across a park like area down to the water where there were chairs set up to enjoy the beach. It was a bit brisk for sunbathing when we were there, but very pleasant to relax as the sun went down. There are a variety of cabins available with most in a rustic woodsy setting. A few have a view or partial view of the lake. In the lodge and reception area there is a nice fireplace with a number of comfortable chairs. It was a great location and we could easily walk to the restaurants in the village.The staff was accommodating and helpful. This was our first visit to Big Bear and we had a wonderful time. We are so glad we were staying at the Big Bear Cabins & Hotel. We had a perfect stay and the pool and hot tub were much appreciated!

Room Tip: Call and speak to the staff directly for advise.