“Pretty good overall”
Review of Big Bear Frontier

Big Bear Frontier
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
Reviewed 30 November 2008

I actually stay here every time I go up to Big Bear, I like the place. The rates are reasonable and the heated pool & spa, pool table and free WI-FI are great. I have never had a problem with the staff being rude either.

The only huge complaint was last time I stayed there in January 2008. At about midnight the heater stopped working and it was 13 degrees F outside!!! They have an emergency phone # but nobody answered!! Within a short period of time the room started to get pretty cold, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...

My wife and daughter started to freak out because our blanket supply was minimal. I tinkered with the heater and FINALLY kick-started the darn thing, thank goodness.

I complained the next morning but the girl at the desk said she was surprised nobody answered my calls. Next time I go I'm making darn sure I've got all bases covered!

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank dpevans23

Reviewed 27 November 2008

it was orrible experience.
the cabin are over priced, dirty and with mouse drop,and the staff is very rude.
the worst part is that they ask a deposit charge on your c/c and they always find some problem to over charge you.
I try to contact the manager but the staff didn't let me.
I been in Big bear many many time and I don't reccomand this place to my worst enemy.
go to a real hotel.
this place is danger.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank Cicciottis
Reviewed 9 November 2008

We stayed in cabin 24 for three nights Oct. 19-22nd, and had a great time. The cabin was small but had a great view of the lake and the cost was around $88 per night. It had a large porch, and when you came out the back, the area towards the left is like a minature park, with picnic tables and bbq grills.
The staff is extremely friendly especially Richard, and more then willing to accommodate you with everything you need. We were celebrating our 7th year wedding anniversary. They gave us wine glasses, and we sat in the lobby near the fireplace which they had just lit, and enjoyed our wine. They have free internet service in the lobby, as well as a pool table, and plenty of videos for rent. They are within walking distance of StarBucks which made my wife happy, and near the CowBoy Saloon which is cheaper at lunch time then dinner. The private beach is really nice just to sit and read a book, listen to the water and watch the ducks go by.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jazz398
Reviewed 7 October 2008

this place grew on me. i googled cabins to rent in big bear that allowed dogs. i had never been to big bear but needed to get away from LA for a few days. the girl on the phone helped me pick a studio cabin. i was a little afraid that i was going to be in the middle of nowhere, but this property turned out to be nicely situated from what i could tell about big bear. it's a block from the village, and right on the lake. it should be noted that they have "frontier one" and "frontier two." one section is closer to the lake, i think it's "frontier two." It's a better location. when i arrived i thought i had made a mistake because the cabin was not far from the street--you can hear traffic and there was construction a few blocks away, plus the housekeepers vacuuming. it was worse than LA. but as days went on and the construction ended, and i saw how crappy most of the other cabin rental properties looked around town, i realized i scored. big time. this is not as rustic as you might think--maid service, clean, microwave, shampoo, ironing board, cable tv--but it's probably not as nice either. i stayed in cabin 24 which is tiny, but has a big deck to view the lake. met a guy there who has been going up there for years to fish on the lake and says he wouldn't stay anywhere else. i thought i wanted to leave as soon as i got there, but by the end of my trip i was happy to have stayed. it's all good. for the price, i doubt it can be beat.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank raven1LosAngeles
Reviewed 3 September 2008

We loved Big Bear Frontier Cabins. We booked directly with the property. On the phone they were always nice, and helped me to select a good room. We stayed in a jacuzzi studio cabin (#258) and it was great. We brought our three Golden Retrievers with us, they especially liked the lake. Everything in the cabin was clean, and we were sure to leave it that way. If there was something you needed all you had to do was ask the office. We got wine glasses and salt and pepper with no problem. The staff was very friendly. I really liked the landscaping, everything was lush and well taken care of. The beach was clean and never too crowded. After being on a boat on the lake, its one of the nicest beaches around. All of the cabins have nice little patios with chairs and a table. There are tons of grill and picnic table scattered around the property. Location is great to, a short walk to the village and there is a little shop (in case you forgot something) right across the street. We plan on coming to Big Bear again and will stay here. I will be recommending to friends as well.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2008

The Big Bear Frontier Hotel is the ONLY place in Big Bear I would stay. My boyfriend and I stayed there over Memorial Day Weekend & this hotel is our new favorite. We stayed 2 nights in the jacuzzi suite. The room was spotlessly clean,spacious and very comfortable, complete with a kitchenette and fireplace. The decor was country/woodsy themed and very appropriate for the surroundings. The staff was warm and friendly. The lobby was very cozy and inviting. They have a great coffee & tea setup. The hotel provides plenty to keep you busy: pool table, movie library, internet availabitly, swimming pool, bbq grills, private lakeshore and basketball court. Also, this facitly is pet friendly. Although we didn't bring our jack russell terrier on this particular trip, I can't wait to take her the next time.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2008

Had a wonderful relaxing 6 day stay. Cabin was clean and well maintained. Staff was more than accomadating in every way. My pets were welcome. I was looking for a place to relax and I sure found that at Big Bear Frontier. It was close to shopping and restaurants. The cabin was right on the lake with lovely views. I was only scheduled for 3 nights and ended up staying 6. Can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
Noon Lodge at Mallard Bay
#4 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Big Bear Frontier? Share your experiences!