“Great Tour- Not Such a Fan of Segways”

Action Segway Tours
Ranked #3 of 8 Tours in Big Bear Lake
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Segway Tours are a unique and fun experience. If you have never experienced a Segway Personal Transporter (PT) before, we welcome you to Action Segway Tours. Learn the history of Big Bear from a Certified Segway Tour Guide. Private and Large Groups are welcome. Great way to explore the beautiful forest and nature at its best. Join us year round. Glide your way through Big Bear Valley in Warm or Cold weather. Fun, Educational and Exciting! We promise you a good time. Our tours are truly the most relaxing, exhilarating and fun way to see the Big Bear Lake area. Have you been thinking of trying a Segway PT? Then an Action Segway Tour is for you. With a guide to show you the basics of riding, and using their local knowledge to give you the best tour content – you’re in for the perfect Segway PT experience.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My boyfriend and I were in Big Bear for his 40th birthday this past weekend and we did both the Segway and Zipline tours.

Segway

Pros- Our guide Chris was awesome. He was a fun guide and I enjoyed the tour around Big Bear Lake. He took some great pictures of us both on and off of the Segways. Safety was clearly stressed and a big priority.

Cons- Although safety was stressed, I still got injured when my Segway tilted over going up an incline. It was my fault in that I did not properly dismount from the Segway when it started to tilt. I panicked. The Segway toppled on me, pinning me to the ground and badly bruising both of my legs, scraping my elbow. This being said, I never felt 100% confident on the Segways.

This is not a passive experience, it is more on par with skateboarding or rollerblading. There is a high probability of falling when learning. We heard this from pretty much everyone we encountered in Big Bear, including staff at the zipline. It's not to say that you will have a major accident, but be prepared for the possibility of scrapes and bruises. I think that if I had more experience, my confidence level would have been fine. Two hours was not enough to ease the nerves.

I think Action did the best they could to give us a great experience and minimize accidents. I was able to finish the tour and when we returned to the office, Chris gave me ice packs for my injuries.

Zipline

Pros- Fantastic tour guides, I never felt unsafe or that safety was not a priority. The guides were fun, but also really nice about not pushing me when I momentarily freaked out. They were supportive! There are nine ziplines and the excursion lasted nearly three hours, which felt like a great value for money. We liked that they had a professional photographer. It's located in a beautiful location.

Cons- really only one- I wish that the pictures at the end of the tour had been better organized. It added about another half an hour of waiting around the Action office as we went through all of the tour pictures. It's probably cost prohibitive, but it would have been nice if we could have viewed the pictures on the ride back in the van and then been ready to purchase when we got back to the office. We almost didn't wait to see the pictures, because we wanted to head out to lunch!

I'm glad that I did it, but Ziplining was far outside of my comfort zone. It wasn't the heights and I had trust in the equipment/guides...it was the speed and worrying about breaking. I was shaking after the first few lines and didn't get comfortable until the last two. We are very unlikely to do zipling again, but I am glad that I experienced it through Action. Good company and great guides.

TIP- We were told to wear bright colors for pictures. We did this on both excursions and our pictures really looked great.

Please visit my blog for a more extensive review of the zipline and Segway with pictures! Also tons on our Big Bear weekend!

4  Thank Karen H
There are newer reviews for Action Segway Tours

Reviewed 26 July 2013

It was our first time on segways, and the major reason we went for the tour is just to try segways. Segways are great and easy to operate. Company provide full training on and off road. Tour itself was interesting too. Without the tour we would not even know about streets and places visited on the tour. If you combine segway with other activities provided by the Action company (zip-line and aqua flight), they give you some discount.

2  Thank Rancherros
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Beauiftul store/office, and great training area. This was my 3rd segway tour in various places. I liked the beefier off-road version of of the X2s and being able to go "off-road" a little. Not the same old thing. Unfortunately, someone did the unthinkable and broke the cardinal rule about staying aware of "the bubble" that your unit creates, and curbs can come up quickly and catch a wheel while we're turned looking at all the great scenery.. Hopefully all is well.

2  Thank Doxvette
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We were also in town the day of the car show and the town was packed. And unfortunately we got the 1 PM tour and got soaked in a cloud burst. But I'd do it again in a second.

Web site: http://www.actionsegwaytours.com/

There was a couple who joined us and we were all first timers. We were given helmets and mandatory driving lessons. Make sure you take advantage of the lessons and get a good feel for the machine before you encounter a curb. About five minutes into our tour one member of the couple had an accident (curb stops one wheel and the other keeps going) and had to drop out. She was in her fiftys and it seemed like she was very fit.

We got headsets and the tour leader led us around town and the tour guide told us stories about the town as we traveled. The headset system, perhaps because we were getting soaked for the early part of the tour, had considerable static. Our guide worked with this and we stopped here and there and talked face to face when something seemed worth discussion. We went by the nest of the resident bald eagles but they must have been out fishing.

After about 5 miles we were pros on the machines and we went to a small park next to the lake and used up the batteries trying to burn donuts in the dirt (too much fun).

We passed up a couple of Segway tours in Europe earlier this year and now I wish we had taken them. Live and learn...

2  Thank FromVegas
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This was my first time, went with 3 other family members, and although we had some stumbling blocks due to a large car show in town, it was a very rewarding experience and would do it again.

2  Thank Irene S