“Pine Knot Guest Ranch- Another GREAT stay!”

and 1 more site!
Pine Knot Guest Ranch
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Big Bear Lake
San Diego, California
“Pine Knot Guest Ranch- Another GREAT stay!”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Guess we are going to make it annual family trip as kids asked to go back this year they had such a great time last year.
Bears Den is the perfect little house for our family and 2 dogs with the fenced yard and the washer and dryer.
Love having a full kitchen to cook vs. eating out too.
Will be back next year I am sure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank YarnMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
PLANO
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My daughter and I loved our stay this past weekend in cabin #17.

My only complaint is that the person who runs the reception office did not give me the best first impression. I called earlier in the day to confirm my reservation and she said to arrive around 1:30pm. I showed up at 1:20pm and there was no one there. I phoned and was told, "it's not 1:30 yet." She repeated this twice. I was a little baffled because I figured even if my room wasn't ready, at least they could come to the front desk and check me in. However, this was not the case and it took me 3 questions before the reception/manager actually said she was NOT on the property. It's not a big deal at all to wait 10 more minutes, but she should have said so right from the start, because I was a bit confused. Her initial reply gave me the impression she was simply not willing to come to the office to check me in.. I had NO idea they weren't on the property. It might be a good idea to make a note on the website letting guests know that the front reception office is not manned all the time. Once I met with her at 1:30pm (and she was very prompt), everything was fine. She was very pleasant and gave us recommendations for various things to do in the area.

The accommodations were very cozy, albeit outdated... but I figured this is a cabin in the mountains and I was not expecting anything modern. The grounds are quaint and quiet with a small barn close by with two resident llamas and bunnies. My daughter wanted to walk the llamas as advertised on their website, but changed her mind when she learned the manager had to be present. I don't think it's a big deal for young kids to have the manager accompany them, but for older kids it's a bit awkward.

The room was spacious enough. The main room had a very cozy king bed, an armoire with a TV (DVD's available in the front office), two rocking chairs, a small table & lamp, and a HUGE Jacuzzi tub.

The second room had a double bed and the small kitchenette which had a small table that seated 4, a wall counter with 2 stools, sink, mini fridge, toaster, and microwave. The bed in this room was very noisy.. if you so much as sat on it, it creaked, clanked and groaned. My daughter chose to sleep with me in the king bed instead. The bathroom was reasonably sized with a nice large counter, stocked toilet paper, Kleenex, and a hairdryer. The shower was VERY small (not a problem for us, but larger people will definitely be uncomfortable).

The whole place was very quiet and relaxing. I liked that it was far enough away from the village that you didn't get all the foot traffic, but close enough to walk down for coffee in the morning.

We will definitely return to Pine Knot if we come back to Big Bear. Perfect for families or couples. I think for couples, request the cabin at the top of the hill because it seemed to offer a lot of privacy.

Room Tip: Cabin #17 is at the end of the walkway, so a tad more private/quiet. However, for couples, the cabi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank oneflyer08413
Yorba Linda, California, United States
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The folks at Pine Knot Ranch just couldn’t be friendlier. The cozy cabin in which we stayed was big enough for our family of two adults and two dogs. The kitchen had everything we needed: We baked a cake the first day that lasted most of the week. We also cooked a tri-tip roast, hamburgers, and chicken.

The 20% off coupons for boat rental came in handy too. We met another family and shared the expense. The dogs from both families were welcomed on the boats.

We have no complaints about our stay. The weather was beautiful, the cabin was comfortable, and we were encouraged to take our dogs off-leash. The ranch has a nice sized lawn with furniture that encouraged interaction among guests from various cabins; there is also a dirt/scrub area near the llama barn where children and puppies can play.

Room Tip: Big Bear Village (within walking distance) has all the specialty shops you can want; and a short dri...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ardyth H
Out West
Reviewed 8 July 2013

HUGE POSITIVE - PET FRIENDLY.

Quirky - we checked into one of the six or so cabins on the property. Open the door and it hits you: a huge huge jacuzzi tub right in the living room slash bedroom. A teensy tiny kitchenette is on the other side of the wall - which share space with another bed. We spent an hour trying to figure out what the cabin was like before the jacuzzi went in.

Fireplace in the corner and one television - all of this in the living room/bedroom. Two chairs to sit in, but no light near them. One small window A/C - doesn't get to the kitchen/bedroom.

Nice grassy area out front - but unlit at night (bring a flashlight if Rover needs a relief!). No real play area for children - a decrepit swing set sits way out back. No pool or firepit.

A quick walk to downtown Big Bear - a longer walk back due to the incline.

Office is usually not staffed - you press the doorbell and one of the owner's trundles down from a home nearby. I feel that someone should be in the office all the time.

Overall not a bad place. We'll stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank I-heart-Travel
Lucky0ne, Manager at Pine Knot Guest Ranch, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
We appreciate the nice review. Just want to mention that there is a floor lamp between the 2 rockers as well as an overhead light. Our guests can reach us by phone (there is a phone in every cabin), from 8am to 6pm, and after hours via emergency number. So there is no need for our guests to go to the office if they need something.
Athens, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The hideaway cabin is out dated, the only thing modern is the stove. The kitchen is not a full kitchen and there is not a complete set of anything in it, all items are mix-matched.The screen on the door is broke and so is the screen door.One door doesn't even have a screen door. There is a lack of curtains in all bedrooms which prevents the sun from coming in. There aren't any vents in the bedroom for heat, but is centered in the middle of the hallway, so there is no way to heat the bedrooms. If you want heat the thermostat is behind the entertainment center.Central air is lacking here. There are hardly any electrical outlets. It needs to be completely renovated. Also, there is not jacuzzi like advertised. There is only one ceiling fan in the living room, and minimal lighting in the bedrooms. The bedrooms have no fans, which is not good because of the high ceilings. There is no way to fit three cars like they say you can in the driveway. There needs to be a sign out on the road so people know this cabin is the hideaway and so they do not get lost in the dark. The televisions are so old there are no remote controls for them. There are too many spiders that live in the cabin. The decor looks like your living in a tea cozy. The clock, which is out outdated, is broken, even with a battery the clock still doesn't work. It is clearly not worth the money you pay to stay here. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: There isn't a swimming pool
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Veronica_M_13800
Lucky0ne, Owner at Pine Knot Guest Ranch, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Hideaway is a vacation rental which we manage and it is not part of Pine Knot Guest Ranch. Because each vacation home is unique, we strive to provide as much information as possible on the website so guests know what they are getting. The description for Hideaway does not include any of the amenities (such as a Jacuzzi) this guest mentioned as missing. Some of the concerns are puzzling. The kitchen includes a stove , fridge, sink, microwave, pots and pans, dishes, etc. So I don't know why that would not be considered a full kitchen. All the windows have curtains or mini blinds. And guests have parked 3 cars in the driveway many times.
Riverside, California
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We stayed in Cabin 15 and enjoyed our stay very much. Gloria (I believe that's the owner's name) was so friendly to us and our dogs. She clearly cares about her guests and their pets. The llamas and bunnies on site are fun and well-cared for. The grounds were very tidy, and the place was very quiet even with lots of guests in the other cabins. The location is fantastic (a short walk downhill to the village), and the cabin itself was pretty good. It was generally clean and sufficiently stocked. The only small issue was with the hot water in the jacuzzi tub. It worked fine the first night, but then the second night we couldn't get hot water. My husband fiddled with the knob, which seemed to have come detached and wasn't engaging properly. He eventually got it working and all was well.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin 15 and liked it a lot. Jacuzzi tub, wood-burning fireplace, and parking right ou...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
CA
Reviewed 24 January 2013

This is the mountains so be prepared for rustic but comfortable accommodations... We stayed in cedar creek which has one bedroom plus a loft. It was great for little kids who go to bed earlier than adults. Full kitchen so we brought meals to prepare - another plus for families.
Tubing park about 10 minutes away but our kids loved the sledding right outside our cabin door. Llamas and bunnies were a big hit with small kids. Walking distance to town gave us an afternoon activity. Only negative was the wall heater. It was so loud that it was difficult to sleep. Otherwise, highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
Robinhood Resort
Robinhood Resort
#4 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Pine Knot Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!