“Overcrowded with obnoxious children”
Review of Swim Beach

Swim Beach
Reviewed 20 August 2013

overcrowded with kids, useless $5 fee, once you're in you have to wait in a long line for a swim test. The water looked dirty, and we saw several dead fish floating around. Stay away from here.

1  Thank lilylovesb
There are newer reviews for Swim Beach

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Let me first clarify that my boyfriend and I didn't even go here because as we pulled up at 10:30am...all packed with a picnic lunch and ready to spend the day on the beach (and let me might add this is really the only place with a beach and swimming on Big Bear Lake). totally disappointed, and if you ask me, a little silly on the weekend. In the middle of July. On a Lake. I'm giving it an average because it did look nice and maintained. From the fence. That has a sign that says they are open only from noon-5pm.

4  Thank MitchyPants
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I can't quite make up my mind about this one.

I mean, if your kids can swim well enough to pass the swim test (doggy paddling does not cut it and backstroke is also required), it is definitely worth the visit. They will be allowed to go to the deeper water and play on two floating bouncy structures which they can climb and from which they can slide or jump into the water. What more can a kid want than doing cannonballs without getting yelled at. All are required to wear life jackets, so it is safe. They are also only allowed to be there for 20 minutes, so you don't have to worry about getting them back from where they cannot hear you.

My 5 year old son cannot swim, so he could only be in the shallow area, but he still liked it a lot. The swim area is super safe. You don't have to worry about your kid making a wrong step and ending up in deep water or getting snatched by a rogue current. The place is teeming with life guards and life jackets are available to anyone. There is also a volleyball net, a pair of swings, and a climbing structure that occupied my monkey bars obsessed son for at least half an hour.

On the other hand, I can't help feeling that there is something pathetic about that little water hole you have to pay to get to. There are so many kids in a fairly small area. The water is cold and murky. Maybe I forgot what it is like to be a kid and appreciate, no, love any body of water you are allowed to go into.

Whatever you decide to do, make sure to bring your own food. Yes, there is a snack bar and it offers what can qualify as real food, such as hot dogs and chicken tacos, but while I was standing in line, I noticed that the woman working there was handling food and money without ever putting on gloves or washing her hands.

3  Thank Wanitall
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We spent lots of time here - four legged friends have to be left behind though.

You do pay a small fee to get in, but then you get:
Snack bar, toilets, kids playground, volley ball net, free balls, buckets and spades etc, grass area to picnic and use free BBQ
's, sandy area to laze, shallow water to play, deeper water to swim and play on the inflatable slides (Free) - they enforce a swim test to ensure swimming ability to access this area which is such a great idea. You can also hire canoes and kayaks!

1  Thank Lisa A
Reviewed 26 June 2013

It was closed but, from the outside and other people talking about it. It looked like fun. Even though it was closed the staf there were very nice to map out and write down other entertainment for my family to enjoy our stay in the Big Bear City.