“NO HOT WATER! HO HOSPITALITY”
Review of Cabins4less

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bear Lake
Cabins4less
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Going to Big bear and wondering where to stay? Don't stay here!

So we went to Big Bear and stayed in Cabins4Less . By the time we got to our cabin Friday night (after driving up the mountain, checking in, then going to rent ski gear, then having dinner) we got to our cabin around 10.30pm. Freezing cold, I ran a bath but no hot water. Thought maybe it was a shared system that hd run out and too late to call I figured it wld be ok the next morning. It was not.

Woke up, cold, ran the showers but nothing. Rang the office and they sent someone around who said they fixed it (meanwhile we are missing time on the slopes for this).......ran the shower...still no hot water...rang the office they said it takes about 15 mins to heat up, Wait 15 mins, wait 30 mins, no hot water. They come back and again say they have relit it. We wait again but no hot water. I ring back and they say they will have it fixed by this afternoon.....I make them promise me. By this point it is nearly 11 am so we've missed a morning of skiing and are not washed.

So we ski the afternoon and Kai's pants keep falling down and his butt is freezing with snow burn at the end of the day...we ski till close (6pm) and come home freezing cold and ready to get warm.

NO HOT WATER. So I go to boil water and the stove doesn't work.....oh my gosh.....I call them AGAIN. They send someone around who plugs in the stove (um you rent cabins and don't think to check the stove is plugged in)....I start boiling water to warm Kai up so he doesn't get a frostbitten bum and they tell me the water heater doesn't work. Haha Genius!

I said we wld have loved to have stayed another night had the water been working. They said they wld fix the water and comp us a night.
He also says if they can't fix the water heater they will text us somewhere we can shower. I ask if there is anywhere we can do that now and he says they are fully booked but can go up the road somewhere tmrw.

I have 2 dogs, 2 kids and we are unpacked. We have nowhere else to go. It's now 8 pm. It's not like we could go anywhere else and what's the point of going up the road for a shower when you have to get dressed and undressed in full winter gear to do it and drive in the cold?

So the next day we wake up, still no hot water and we go to the slopes now stinking. Skiing is sweaty work so we are not pretty.
At 12.45 I get a text saying to use another cabin to shower......again, what's the point of that? Getting warm, getting cold, having a shower, getting warm, getting cold - in and outdoors. No I text back saying I'm over it, we stink, our clothes stink and it's just too much trouble. We leave the slopes, go back and pack up.

It takes a couple of hours (and is about 3 pm now) and the housekeeper mentions she thought we were staying another day. I explain there is no hot water and didn't want to use another cabin at 6 pm at night. She tells me they fixed the water and it now works. All our stuff is in the car. And no one told me it was fixed!
So we head home and have awesome showers and are sad we didn't have the time we hoped after paying good money to stay where we did.

No one calls me and says sorry. I make a call the next day and the owner is rude and horrible. He says I should have just gone somewhere else.....um...everything was booked, we were unpacked and you kept telling us the water would be fixed and we had paid you already so it's not like I could go and pay that money over again.

He says he will only give me one summer night for free...um it's Big Bear, we go for the snow and I paid over $800 and got only a half day in each day and froze the entire time, stinking. He offers to comp me one night ONLY if I pay another night. He threatens me and says if I take it further he won't give me anything. He tries to tell me if it was really a problem I'd have left. He doesn't understand I had my niece from Australia going home on Monday and this was her one and only chance.

Since then he has done nothing. I emailed them, putting my complaint in writing and he said my stay could hardly have been horrible. You try being in the snow for 3 days and having no hot water. If I wanted that I'd have paid $50 and gone camping.

I'm using my voice to let others know of this. Sure there are worse things that can happen, but as a consumer we have a voice and if merchants think they can just rip people off and discard them then they have not understood that bad business is bad for business. I am the first to praise people and rarely have a bad word to say about anyone, but this guy is in hospitality and is far from hospitable and had this review been on yelp (as it will soon be) then I would have looked around and found somewhere more reliable and friendly to take my family to because we don't get vacations like this very often and if they can't understand the value in caring for people then they should be in the business of doing so.

Rant over. Consider this my review which I will now be spending some time making sure I publish it where people will read it so he understands the value of $800 worth of bad business.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
10  Thank Thereisonly1Ajay
CabinsForLess, Owner at Cabins4less, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

All those great reviews and you insult for reason of the water heater problem, but you stayed there and you asked for a free night. must of been a great place, cabins for less # 59 has a great following search on google, thanks

There are newer reviews for Cabins4less

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We went up for Thanksgiving and this cabin was great for the whole family. Great view, close to the slopes (its one street away from Snow Summit and a 5 min. walk to the Big Bear shuttle) and it really made the trip a lot of fun.

The kitchen was stocked with everything we needed to cook for 8 people including cups, plates, serving dishes, utensils, etc. We had no trouble with heat, the fireplace looks brand new along with a lot of the furniture and the Jacuzzi is really relaxing after a day on the mountain. From the driveway to the drains, the entire place was incredibly clean and well kept.

It really felt like a home instead of just a hotel or cabin. I was very satisfied with my stay and definitely going back.

Room Tip: All the cabins are different, we were in 303 and it was perfect... no complaints, wonderful memories...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2013

It was our 3rd stay at Cabins4Less. Have always been attracted to this place. After browsing all other accomodations, we invariably choose Cabins4Less. Our kids love it too. Owners are very friendly & so nice. We stayed at Cabin # 9 for 2 nights this time. Great prices. The place has unique collectibles that makes the cabin special.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelIsAlwaysFun
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The owners here wnt above and beyond what we expected.
You will not be talking to an uncaring robot here.If you have a problem here, they will be right on it and go above and beyond for you. Our kids refused to share a bed and the owner had a roll away bed delivered to our room in the dead of night,(above and beyond)

THANKS GUYS for great family memories!!

My parents are going to stay here based on our great experience..

PET FRIENDLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRETT LATRAY AND FAMILY

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Brett L
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Great price for a lakefront condo. Very cute and cozy with 2 beds. Nice kitchen with full size coffee pot and refrigerator. All of the people were so nice! What a great getaway from the fast pace of life. Very laid back, discount prices on kayaks and paddle boats. Swimming, fishing, big boats too.
Room could have been a bit cleaner, and I disliked making up the bed myself. They say bring your own sheets & towels, I really didn't like that. And clean up your dishes and trash before you leave. Would have rated them a 4, had it not been for those last 2 things.
Big Bear Lake is an awesome town--great shopping and dining. Many more services than I expected. I would love to go back and stay a week!

Room Tip: I liked the condos, they are newer. Didn't see a cabin, but heard they were small. Ask about bri...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Upon entering the lakefront condo we smelled a pungent odor that resonated throughout the entire room. The kitchen was dirty and the carpet was stained. I called and respectively asked for other accommodations and was refused. This place is far from clean. Dirt dust & crumbs. Had to light the pilot on the f/p. Grates and covers unattached from the walls. The sofa leg was broken & trash was in the cushions & underneath. The view of the lakefront is blocked by big bushy trees. The outdoor furniture is rickety & dirty with worn cushions. Bee's nests in the eves. We should have left but I wasn't in the mood to spend the rest of the afternoon looking for someplace else more suitable to stay. I confronted Ron the owner at checkout. He admitted to me that the lakefront condo's were indeed dirty & needed repair. I told him that the only reason I called his establishment was that he was close to town, he was pet friendly and that the pictures on his website looked like a clean place. I would have gladly paid more if it were cleaned. I took pictures of everything I mentioned and more.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jjmjwsk
fundude123, Owner at Cabins4less, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

We are always available for inspection 365 days a year, that would not be offered if we were not confident, Lakefront are new and modern

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Loved our room....great location with a view & nice park area on the water . There is no other place where you can take your dog,on the water,with a kitchen.Plus rent kayaks cheap from wonderful people! Can't wait to go back in a week ! Many other great cabins available for other tastes ....Love the old cabins in the forest too!

• Stayed: July 2013
Robinhood Resort
Robinhood Resort
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake
The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Cabins4less? Share your experiences!