“If in the area”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bass Hill
Melbourne, Australia
“If in the area”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Had booked this at the last minute. Spa room was large and clean. 201 just left of the lift. The spa needs a little more tlc but good enough. There Is a Balcony also , foxtel tv and wifi access.

The staff at the bar and restaurant are lovely.

All amenities are a close walk away but if need to go further , you will need a car or a taxi.

I did find a very chipped drinking glass in the room as I was just about to fill it up with water. Massive safety hazard and returned it to reception.
Also found the off cuts or remains of some of the buildings plaster (about a foot long )!which was right outside my room as I was leaving.

Very common in most hotels ( so it's not just here) ,even if you have the do not disturb sign up or if have a late checkout, they will still Disturb. Not sure what's with that! Bloody annoying if in shower or half naked in bed when someone walks in if no answer.

All in all, good stay.

Thanks

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Hi Aknavi,

Thanks for the positive review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

Sorry about the chipped glass, I am sure it was just an oversight by the housekeeper. That said, I have asked all housekeepers to pay particular attention to this going forward.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Thanks,
Brett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Bathurst, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Just read the review by Jennast - talk about contrasting visits!! Got to say we didn't have much in the way of expectation heading into our overnight stay. This was our first look at Rydges Bankstown. All that we wanted was a room for 4 and a good night sleep before a 5am alarm on the sunday morning to get us to the kids sporting venture.

On book in, I asked for a quiet side room (pool side as it turns out) given we needed that abovementioned sleep. My request was catered for no problems at all - the young lady at reception was courteous and efficient. It certainly was the quiet side - we all slept soundly and didn't hear a thing all night.

The room was fine. Unlike Jennast - our shower was great. Heaps of pressure and nice and hot. We didn't use many other facilities in the hotel however free parking was so pleasant given we have had some recent stays in the city and been hit up from $40+. Got to love that!!

If your in this part of Sydney then give the place a shot. We were very happy. Goes without saying that some people are going to have worse experiences than others at any hotel but for us on this occassion - ALL GOOD!

Room Tip: Pool Side worked for us
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Smiggle11
Thanks Smiggle11. A great review!

We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Long Jetty, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I have been staying at Bankstown Rydges for about 4 yrs constantly. The staff here are amazing. They are so efficient and helpful and attend to all my needs. They go out of their way to retrieve anything you need during our stay. Rydges Bankstown is my first stop when coming to Sydney.

Room Tip: When you check in ask for level 3 or 4 as they are the quietest in the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank April S
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Hi April,

Thanks for your review and continued patronage of Rydges Bankstown.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I wish I had something nice to say. I have stayed in my fair share of hotels, as well as many, many hostels - so I know what bad accommodation is - and all I can do is laugh at what I was charged for this nightmare of a stay in a hotel chain.

I spent two nights at Rydges in Bankstown while attending a weekend seminar there. I encountered a number of problems during this visit. To list a few:
- Every staff member I encountered was unfriendly. Except for one - but she turned out to be unknowledgeable about her own industry.
- I was charged twice on my credit card for my stay. Am awaiting the cancellation of one of these charges.
- The flush button on my toilet in my room got stuck down several times so it kept running loudly and I had to fix it each time.
- On the first night I was woken by a loud, high-pitched buzzing noise which lasted for an hour, from 5am to 6am. Never worked out what that noise was.
- The temperature gauge to my room was not working, which resulted in uncomfortably restless nights.
- The shower head was ridiculously spitty. My intentions to not wash my hair by tying it up were thwarted by the nozzle that sprayed everywhere.
- An attempt at enjoying a relaxing bath was destroyed due to the bathroom fan not being able to be turned off so the water was reduced to lukewarm prematurely.
- This bath got even more unpleasant when I attempted to remove the bath plug - it was the inappropriate size for that bathtub. It took me no less than 45 minutes to get it out - plus a bruised hand, broken pen (attempted stabbing it out), two bent spoons (the ones provided by the hotel were rubbish, so just as well I had my own spoon made of adequate metal), and a soaking bathroom floor.
- The seminar room had the air conditioning on at a very uncomfortable level - fricking cold. On a day that was 28 degrees outside, everyone in the seminar room was wearing long pants and a jumper/jacket.
- There were 5 female toilets available during the seminar. This resulted in a long line during the breaks from the seminar as there was approximately 50 people attending, predominantly female. Additionally, by the end of the weekend, 2 of these 5 toilets were out of order.
- There was flaking paint in my room, in hallways and in the seminar room.
- The parking lot is scattered with signs saying that visitors may leave their car there at their own risk - thank god parking is at least free.
- There is nothing in the way of restaurants in the near vicinity (I do not count Maccas or Hungry Jacks to be real restaurants)

Those are some of the issues I encountered. I am flabbergasted that this Rydges has a generally positive rating. I have visited the Rydges at World Square in Sydney before and maybe I was expecting something of that level at Rydges in Bankstown. So very sadly let down. I would rather stay at the caravan park across the road next time.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank jennast
Hi Jennast,

Thanks for the review and I am sorry to read that your stay was not up to the high Rydges standard.

I have actually used this review in our latest staff meeting, I felt many of the issues you raised should not have occurred or could have been easily rectified.

Thanks again for the review and I hope you give us a 2nd chance to impress you.

Travellers are raving about these Bass Hill hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I don't normally stay out South West when I'm in Sydney for work, I tend to stay in town but I had a job in Bankstown and decided to give this place a go. I was NOT disappointed.

Staff were perfectly friendly and nice. They gave me a free drink voucher for in the bar on arrival, nice touch ;) The room I stayed in was nice and big and spotlessly clean. It was nice and modern in terms of furnishing. A nice big desk to work at with a good quality TV to watch. Great mini bar reasonably priced. The bed was AWESOME and so comfortable. I seriously wanted to try and sneak it out to my car when I was leaving. I got a great online price too, about $50 a night cheaper than it's major competitor in Bankstown.

I thought that the room service was a bit pricey, but not to worry, there's a 24 hour Maccas next door (yuk) but also a great little Chinese Restaurant (Amity Chinese Restaurant) that makes great food that's really cheap and the vibe there is nice too. You can walk there and eat or grab take-away and bring it back to your room. Just up the road is a shopping centre with a brand new gym (about to open), Woolies, BWS, chemist, Target etc plus other take away eating joints.

I was in a room facing the Hume Highway so I was worried about noise but the windows are pretty sound proof and it wasn't a distraction. They do a really nice breakfast in the restaurant too.

If I had to complain it would be about the little lounge chairs they have in the room that are small and uncomfortable, but I was either at the desk working or resting on the super comfy bed. The other thing is the fan in the bathroom runs constantly and is pretty noisy, so I just kept the bathroom door closed.

All in all, I'll be back if I'm working in this area again. It was great.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for the great review!

I am glad your enjoyed the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Canberra
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The staff are friendly and the price, when on sale is respectable, but crikeys, it looks like the boss has been pocketing the maintenance budget for years. Every wall has chipped paint or is marked and dirty. All the carpets are thread bear and grimey. Even the front entrance has walked in bubblegum stuck inside the grate. The in house guides are stained and dog eared and the curtains are wrinkled and look like they have never been washed. Seems ridiculous that so much money spent on a building with quality pool etc... And then let gone to pot. I understand slightly outdated fittings, but the exceptional lack of detail suggests management have taken their off of the ball. I stayed Xmas 2011 and things were the same.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fritzmacgritz
Thanks for the review - you have raised some valuable points for us to look at.

The good news is that many of your points have now been actioned. We are in the process of re-painting all rooms as well improving the bar and restaurant area. We have also replaced most of our guest compendiums with new and updated information.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Do not stay here. I have travelled to Sydney and was happy to book this chain as they are usually of a good standard.
Not this hotel....dirty smelly and mould in bathrooms. Calling it a dump is being polite. Was booked in for a week. Checked out the next morning. Avoid this dated and shabby hotel at all costs.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Steve L
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the review.

We are working hard to improve the standard of the hotel. We have recently finished re-freshing levels 2, 3 & 4 and will shortly start the remaining floors.

I have personally inspected the room that you stayed in and I have our maintenance team working on the problems you raised.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope you give us a 2nd chance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bass Hill
Ibis Styles Sydney Lansvale
Pullman at Sydney Olympic Park
Pullman at Sydney Olympic Park
#1 of 4 in Sydney Olympic Park

Been to Rydges Bankstown? Share your experiences!