“Stay away - choose something else - sleep in a tent if you have to.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rydges Bankstown

Rydges Bankstown
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bass Hill
Hobart, Australia
“Stay away - choose something else - sleep in a tent if you have to.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here for convenience because a family event was held nearby otherwise this hotel has absolutely nothing in its favour. The location is on the busy Hume Highway, the surrounding area offers nothing except fast food take-away and light industrial. Traffic noise from the highway was minimal but noise inside the hotel was terrible with whistling water pipes for most of the night when others were showering etc. The room was old and reasonably clean but fittings were worn out and there is a very limited availability of TV channels.
But this was not the least of it. I had the worst bed I have ever slept in (see photo) that made for a most uncomfortable night. I complained to reception next morning who said the manager would contact me. He didn't. The receptionist asked why didn't I contact reception for a room change but once you are unpacked, showered and in bed at 11pm the suggestion of repacking everything and moving is unrealistic.
The booking for the hotel included breakfast - which was quite good - and a $50 voucher towards dinner - which was ordinary and expensive. The result of my complaint to the reception was that dinner's extra cost over the $50 was waived but there was no other compensation. I suggested that I should not have to pay for the room.
Reception expressed surprise that such a bed existed in their establishment. Understandable given there is a small card on the bed that says "Rydges dream bed. You are about the experience the luxury... of contoured coil spring mattress ...(we) promise you a perfect night's sleep. etc. etc. " (I'm being cynical).
I am certain that the manager of this hotel had no interest in feedback because we found a completed customer comments card in our room that dated back 3 weeks. It was not complimentary. I gave it to reception and their comment was that they had no control over cleaning staff and that was why they had not received it !!!
The hotel seems to service large groups of Chinese tour buses and my opinion is that they are somewhat disinterested in travellers such as myself. This hotel does not belong in the Rydges chain. It is an embarrassment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul4444_10
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Hi Paul4444_10
I have tried times to contact you to discuss the issues of your recent stay.
Could you please contact me direct at a time convenient to you to discuss these issues.
In the meantime I would like to sincerely apologise for the issues and the the inconvenience caused to you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely

Ali Ulus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

On arrival, we were upgraded to a room with a queen bed and two single beds at no extra charge.The beds were extremely comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. Even though it was on the highway we didn't hear any noise from traffic outside. The TV was set into the wall and was a decent size. The bathroom was clean. The buffet breakfast had everything from hot dishes, to pastries, to cereals and all different kinds of breads. There was plenty of it too. The staff were very helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We left the hotel very impressed and would stay there again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hi Megan, We really appreciate the positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Bankstown.
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Room was not very clean bathroom old needs update shower leaked. Food and drinks very expensive went elsewhere. Should have a smoking area away from main door to prevent stinky entrance to hotel. Too expensive for what you get.

Room Tip: Different hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear Deblou369
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectation on your recent vist, please accept my sincere apology for this.
Should you wish to stay with us in the future please contact me directly and I will personally ensure that your stay is a memorable one.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

The bed sheets were dirty - it was full of hair of the previous guest. there was dust on the phone and the desk. I called reception and asked for fresh towels which never arrived. This is highly disappointing. Obviously, the management of this hotel is very poor as the staff are not trained to pay attention to hygiene and cleanliness - my advice, please take your business elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank paymaan2016
Dear paymaan,
I am very disappointed to read your feedback oon your recent stay. I will ensure that this is discussed with our housekeeping to ensure our attention to detail is never compromised.
Thank you for your feedback.

Regards

Travellers are raving about these Bass Hill hotels

Brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My daughter and I booked to stay for 5 nights at Rydges Bankstown between Christmas and New year. We had been looking forward to our stay, as previous experiences of Rydges Hotels have been excellent. Unfortunately, on this occasion, we were left extremely disappointed and felt like we were on another planet! Our room was on the top floor of the hotel and for the first and last nights of our stay, I did not get any sleep at all. On the first night, I retired to bed at 9.30pm (having driving some distance that day) and discovered that there were signifcant problems with the mattress - collapsing on right hand side - consequently it was impossible to lie on the bed without rolling off to the right. Then, at approximately 9.40pm, another guest entered our room! Yes, they had been given a door card for our room by mistake. When I raised these matters with reception the next morning, I received an apology for the error regarding the issuing of the door card to another guest, and was assured that maintenance would be in later that morning to address the issues with the bed. Later that day when my daughter and I returned to the room, I found that the bed had been made up, but that the same mattress (with a date label of July 2007) was still on the bed, and that the same problem remained. After raising the matter again with reception, my daughter and I were moved to another room on the same floor (which I might add had a leaking ceiling in the corridor - two buckets of water underneath the leaks in the corridor for most our stay), where we we stayed for the next four nights. We were also offered a free breakfast for our inconvenience. At that point, I would have been happy to overlook the problems that we had encountered. However, on our final night, a group of foreign tourists booked into the hotel and were allocated to many of the other rooms on the same floor as us. At 10pm, this group was standing out in the corridor, having very loud conversations, slamming doors, and on one occasion knocked on our door. This continued on and on, and at 10.30pm, I phoned reception to advise that it is was impossible for us to sleep with the racket being made by this group. I was informed that a security guard would be sent up to check out the situation. Whilst they noise did quieten down for approximately 20 minutes shortly after, it started up again shortly before 11pm and at midnight, still having had no sleep, I phoned reception again to advise of the continuing problem. Again I was told that a security guard would be sent up to the floor. After this, I tried to focus on getting to sleep, as I needed to drive to Coffs Harbour the next day and needed to feel refreshed. Unfortunately, however the noise continued - and at one point, the persons in the next room attempted to open the door adjoining our room, making much noise as they attempted to open the locked door. At 1.30am, feeling incredibly frustrated, I got up, left our room and took the lift down to the ground floor reception to advise that people were still standing out in the corridor talking loudly, slamming doors etc. The staff then sent the security guard up in the lift with me to the top floor. In the lift, the security guard told me that he had attempted to get the group on our floor to be quiet, but that it was impossible as they did not understand English. Fortunately, on this occasion, the noise level did drop somewhat. However, by that stage, I was unable to get to sleep before needing to depart the hotel in the morning. This is definitely the worst stay I have had in a Rydges Hotel. Will not stay at this hotel again and would definitely not recommend it to anyone visiting Sydney.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Judvin
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Judvin,

Thank you for bringing the issues from your recent stay to my attention.

Obviously it didn’t make for happy reading. I’d like to start by apologising for messing up your stay, rest assured we will be following up all the matters you raised.

In particular, I have spoken to houskeeping about the bed and this has now been changed over. I have also addressed the noise issues with security to ensure that next time they keep the hallways quiet.

Judvin, thanks again for bringing these matters to my attention.

Regards,
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

Wow, this is a really bad choice to stay. Very basic, no gym, no decent tv channels, in a really rundown part of the city and old. Wish we did not throw away our money in such a valueless way. Don't stay in this hotel chain if possible

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ALvCal
Thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

I am disappointed to read that this stay did not live up to expectation.

The good news is that we are in the planning of considerable upgrade to the hotel which will see rooms and public areas remodelled. There is also mention of including a GYM as part of it.

ACT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed two nights with 2 adults and 2 kifs. Some fool had deliberately ignored rules and smoked in our booked room...Reception staff very helpful and moved us straight away. Unfortunately to a smaller room where kids complained sofa bed was uncomfortable. Room was discounted minimally and staff very apologetic. Breakfast good and rooms clean. Hotel is tired and needs some basic maitenance work to match Rydges standard but overall value for money is very good if you pick up a special or online offer as we did. Christine and Alana on reception are a credit to this hotel. Very approachable and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the review.

It is great to read your compliments to the staff. They work very hard and I will make sure that this is passed onto Christine and Alana.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bass Hill
Meriton Serviced Apartments George Street, Parramatta
Quest Liverpool
Quest Liverpool
#3 of 10 in Liverpool

Been to Rydges Bankstown? Share your experiences!