“3 Day Business trip”
Review of Rydges Bankstown

Rydges Bankstown
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bass Hill
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed there for three days while doing a job in Bankstown. Check-in was fine. Only suggestion would be that they tell you the free WIFI Password on Check in rather than having to ask later. i was beginning to doubt it had free WiFi. Went to my room and it was June and it was cold. tried turning the heater to Max and nothing really was happening. it wasn't heating the room. Went down for dinner and spoke to reception and got Free WIFI password and told him about heating. Said the whole Hotels Heating system was getting reset. The three days I was there it never really got a lot warmer in my room.

My room had poor lighting as there is no light globe in the middle of the room. They have a couple of Fluro Lamps. It is fairly tired and dated decor but I did like their Doona or whatever it was much nicer than those Acrylic blankets you get in a lot of hotels.

Dinner the first night was a Sirloin Steak in the restaurant. The presentation was amazing. it was served on a Large Square Black plate that looked like a piece of Slate. It was very impressive. The Sirloin was a bit tough but overall it was a very nice meal.

Breakfast was the usual band of goodies ( Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Fruit Salad, Pastries etc) with a couple of extra Egg dishes you could order if you liked. Only complaint would be the last day I was there the Juice Dispensers were 95% empty, the three of them. they didn't appearing very inviting to think you were getting the last of the last.

Had an Entree and Desert the last night I stayed there and they were very nice to. Presentation was no wear near as impressive as the Main course but tasted great anyway.. Dessert was some sort of Banana Pudding with Ice cream. It was really nice. I liked that it was very Sticky and hard to cut through, but a lot of people would have struggled to get their Spoon through it. I was hoping it wouldn't fly off the plate.

The staff were pretty friendly ordered a Cab for me a couple of days I was there. I was on the Hume highway side of the Hotel and thought it would be pretty loud. It didn't see, to bother me but if you are a light Sleeper I would suggest you ask for a room on the Backside. It is also right next to a McDonalds and has a KFC Red Rooster and Hungry Jacks within sight and walking distance. There is also an Amazing Lebanese Bakery just a few doors away to.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the Back away from the Hume Highway and McDonalds.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Paultomas, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.
We most definitely have FREE Wi-Fi! And to ensure you don’t forget the password we now have it written down for you ready for your arrival so you can make the most of this complimentary service.

It’s disappointing to hear they were not able to rectify the temperature issue in your room as our maintenance team are very prompt in these matters, I’ll be following this up as it seems like a breakdown in communication.

I’m glad you had the time to try our restaurant for both Dinner and Breakfast and more importantly that you enjoy it. You’ll be glad to hear we replaced the Juice dispensers with 700ml juice bottles to ensure the juice is always fresh and constantly rotated.

Cheers,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have always stayed at this facility when travelling from Tasmania to Sydney and have always enjoyed the hospitality you get while there from very friendly staff. However, I found it frustrating every time you wanted water you had to use the bathroom as there was no water in the dining room/lounge area. But apart from that it was great and I would highly recommend the Rydges Bankstown to anyone who was looking for good accommodation at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your recommendation and commenting on the friendliness of our staff. As mentioned before, customer service is of the up most importance for Rydges so it’s great to hear this acknowledgement.

In regards to the availability of water in the dining room/lounge whilst we don’t have a water dispenser once the breakfast service period is over, at anytime any member of staff will always be only too happy to serve you a chilled ice water or there is bottle water also available for purchase if that is your preference.

Thanks for your continuous patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The staff were very professional and were able to help me with directions which I appreciated.
The breakfast was excellent and the room was large,clean and the bed inviting. The doors were a bit tired and needed a coat of paint.
I will stay at Rydges again.

Room Tip: Road side of hotel can have street noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hi Kevin
I’m pleased you enjoyed our ‘RISE’ Breakfast; we like to focus on healthy fresh products in addition to all those brekkie favourites.

I’m also pleased to inform you that all the accommodation doors have now had a fresh coat of paint!

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here for 6 nights in the top of the range Spa Room, but even as a Priority Guest Rewards member, it doesn't seem that they do anything special for you. All of the following incidents are avoidable and leave a bad impression ....

- arguments with the bar staff about the 'free drinks on arrival' offer
- one bedside light was not working - due to the fact it didn't even have a globe !!!! Can you believe that is not noticeable to room service ?
- the lock on the door didn't work
- balcony was never cleaned, as there were cigarette butts there for all 6 days
- ordered room service on the last night so we could have a memorable last night staying in. After 45 minutes I called up as nothing had arrived. We were told that they were busy and it would arrive in 10 minutes. Sounded more likely to me that they had forgotten us as when we went up stairs the restaurant was empty. After 15 more minutes, still hadn't arrived. After 3 conversations with the room service manager (or whoever it was that answered the phone), I go the impression that 1) he didn't care, 2) he had not been trained in any form of customer service, and 3) he was just plain rude as if our problem was an inconvenience to him !!! he claimed he was reluctant to talk to me because I was rude - now having to wait so long for our meal certainly made me impatient and irritated. but that is no excuse for him to be rude. You certainly wouldn't put up with waiting for food in the restaurant itself for 1:15 minutes, so why should you with room service ?

The room was large and the bed was comfortable, however the spa bath, which you had to also stand in to shower, had an edge that is too high, so could be dangerous getting in and out. And there is no anti-slip mat provided. Every night seems large groups of Chinese tourists arrive and fill up the foyer, yabbering away and causing a disturbance. It is impossible to relax there or have a quiet drink at the bar. Even my partner, who is also Chinese, found them annoying !!! I am just glad there were not staying on our floor making noise all night as one reviewer had to endure.

It was the cheapest Rydges I could find at the time to stay at, and the experience we had was also the cheapest out of the many Rydges hotels I have stayed at :-(

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank redracer69

Thanks for your feedback regarding your stay.
I trust your light bulb and door lock were replaced/fixed once you notified reception, light bulbs that are out are noticeable to our housekeepers but as we have all experienced they can blow at anytime.

It is very disappointing to hear you were not spoken in a polite calm manner by a member of our staff as we expect all of our staff to behave. Great customer service is one area we pride ourselves in but clearly this was not your experience. This has been addressed with our F&B Manager and Executive Chef as the lengthy delay you experienced with your meal is also out of the ordinary.

As you pointed out the rooms are large and with ample parking and the great location we do attract a variety of groups for tours, sports and conferencing. As you can appreciate once you get a group of people together they can be heard but I would not describe our customers as a disturbance and the spacious ground floor and outdoor area by the pool gives everyone a lot of room to spread out.

Once again, thank you for your comments, guest feedback is important to us and very much appreciated.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

Too expensive for the room and cleaning. They even did't dry the bathroom floor (wet because shower moldy tent do not cover all the surface). Still have a doubt if sheets were unused...
Restaurant is good and place is quite. I suppose it's easy to find something similar for less money

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ghiego
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Hi Ghiego,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues during your recent visit, I have discussed these points with the department concerned to ensure that it does not occur in future.
Thak you for your feedback.

Regards

Ali Ulus

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here for convenience because a family event was held nearby otherwise this hotel has absolutely nothing in its favour. The location is on the busy Hume Highway, the surrounding area offers nothing except fast food take-away and light industrial. Traffic noise from the highway was minimal but noise inside the hotel was terrible with whistling water pipes for most of the night when others were showering etc. The room was old and reasonably clean but fittings were worn out and there is a very limited availability of TV channels.
But this was not the least of it. I had the worst bed I have ever slept in (see photo) that made for a most uncomfortable night. I complained to reception next morning who said the manager would contact me. He didn't. The receptionist asked why didn't I contact reception for a room change but once you are unpacked, showered and in bed at 11pm the suggestion of repacking everything and moving is unrealistic.
The booking for the hotel included breakfast - which was quite good - and a $50 voucher towards dinner - which was ordinary and expensive. The result of my complaint to the reception was that dinner's extra cost over the $50 was waived but there was no other compensation. I suggested that I should not have to pay for the room.
Reception expressed surprise that such a bed existed in their establishment. Understandable given there is a small card on the bed that says "Rydges dream bed. You are about the experience the luxury... of contoured coil spring mattress ...(we) promise you a perfect night's sleep. etc. etc. " (I'm being cynical).
I am certain that the manager of this hotel had no interest in feedback because we found a completed customer comments card in our room that dated back 3 weeks. It was not complimentary. I gave it to reception and their comment was that they had no control over cleaning staff and that was why they had not received it !!!
The hotel seems to service large groups of Chinese tour buses and my opinion is that they are somewhat disinterested in travellers such as myself. This hotel does not belong in the Rydges chain. It is an embarrassment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul4444_10

Hi Paul4444_10
I have tried times to contact you to discuss the issues of your recent stay.
Could you please contact me direct at a time convenient to you to discuss these issues.
In the meantime I would like to sincerely apologise for the issues and the the inconvenience caused to you.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely

Ali Ulus

Reviewed 3 March 2014

On arrival, we were upgraded to a room with a queen bed and two single beds at no extra charge.The beds were extremely comfortable and there were plenty of pillows. Even though it was on the highway we didn't hear any noise from traffic outside. The TV was set into the wall and was a decent size. The bathroom was clean. The buffet breakfast had everything from hot dishes, to pastries, to cereals and all different kinds of breads. There was plenty of it too. The staff were very helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We left the hotel very impressed and would stay there again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Brett B, General Manager at Rydges Bankstown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Hi Megan, We really appreciate the positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Bankstown.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bass Hill
Mercure Sydney Liverpool
Mercure Sydney Liverpool
#3 of 10 in Liverpool
Mercure Sydney Parramatta

Been to Rydges Bankstown? Share your experiences!