“Three and a half stars, actually”
Review of Squires Loft

Squires Loft
Ranked #3 of 109 Restaurants in Essendon
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We got in here early and without a booking. Didn't think we'd need one on a Wednesday night, but the place sure filled up after our arrival.

We ordered and received steak meals exactly as ordered and with good side-dishes. There was nothing exceptional and nothing disappointing from a specialist steakhouse. There were perhaps touches of smiley happy people as waiters/waitresses, but everything was as expected and delivered in timely fashion. Cost-wise, this is clearly not a pub alternative though.

Yes, it's formulaic or "chain-ish", and not cheap, but there are no (negative ) surprises either.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

The steak I had at Squires Loft in Essendon, was one of the best I have had, ever. Cooked just right, tender, succulent, I could not fault it.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Have had troubles in the past getting a booking here, finally got one but was told the table needed to be freed by 7:20 so from saying yes to this I anticipated being hurried along. After the initial rush to order, we were never rushed again. All at the table ordered the rumps, 2 medium and 1 rare... they all came out virtually mooing! Always an issue at steakhouses though, you always run the risk of getting a very bloodied piece so I wont hold that against the restaurant. Sauces werent bad although i'd avoid the bbq and stick to mushroom and garlic. The staff seemed really angry and like they just didnt want to be there, except for the lovely girl waiting at the register who was a lot nicer than the others!

Overall if I could get a spot more often, I probably would return, but it's pretty small so it will frustrate me to go back if I have to book too far in advance. Give it a go but probably order your steak a level up from what you would normally have it so it isnt trying to walk away!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I'm not sure why there as so many negative reviews but my partner and I have been here a handful of times and had an amazing experience each time. The steak here is in my opinion the best in melbourne and frankly probably the best steak I've ever had. The chocolate soufflé is to die for and the service is very good although not great. My partner has also tried some chicken dishes and they are equally as delicious although my favourite and the only thing I order is eye fillet.

Don't hesitate, check this place out. Just be sure to make a booking as they are usually booked out on the weekends.

The couple of reviews on trip advisor isnt a true reflection as this place is always busy so I must be the rare bad experience or picky customer who is doing the reviewing.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

We've been to the South Yarra Squires Loft many times and the one near albert park lake once. I've only been to the Essendon one once, but once was enough. I wont be back!

The main reason is that the atmosphere is kinda horrible! Feels like you're in a cheap rsl. The place is by no means cheap and I expect the atmosphere to back up the prices. The south Yarra one feels nice upstairs. Its dark, has wood everywhere, char grilled smoky atmosphere (not overly smoky) but it feels like it could be the loft of a squire :) The Essendon one is laminate, white, ugly, cheap and old. Feels like its a scout hall.

Staff were ok. Cant really remember to be honest. Certainly nothing warm and friendly. I kinda remember the table being much higher than the chairs too so you sit up feeling like a little kid (I'm not small at 6 ft either).

The steaks are good, as are the sauces. We had the eye fillet and I do love the squires blue vein cheese sauce. I do think south yarra is better food though, but I could have been swayed by the horrible atmosphere.

I was pretty disappointed and will never go back! waste of my money!

1  Thank sadpanda