“Lack of cleanliness” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 13 San Francisco B&B and Inns
San Francisco - Camotes
“Lack of cleanliness”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and me we had been already several times at the restaurant of "Santiago Bay", but stayed there for a couple of nights about 1 year ago. Well, my impression was that the rooms a quite overpriced for the offered comfort, compared to tourist hotels in tourist destinations in Southern Europe, but also in the Philippines. But one can say that for the most hotels in the Philippines. Fact is: There a lacking things which even cost no money or only few Pesos. Some time we missed a REAL cabinet to HUNG UP our jackets, shirts (so in "Santiago Bay") or Soap Holder or plastic curtain in the shower to avoid to make the whole CR weat.
But a few days ago we had something to celebrate and went to the restaurant with 2 Filipino friends. My wife and me where satisfied with the food, so it was not extraordinary, but obviously not one of our friends with the Pansit Canton he had ordered. He almost didn't touch the noodles, but he rather preferred to share my sizzling beef. As many Filipinos do he didn't complaine! We would have liked to get a special dessert, but except an Nestle ice cream from the Freezer and just fruits, there was nothing. That's poor.
After paying the bill and before we left, I had to go to the CR. And that shocked me: It was stinking, certainly not cleaned professionally and the toiled bowl was dirty, in fact already brownish coloured from not cleaning well and the water faucet outside was loose like it will break in every moment. My brother once gave me an advice: When he goes first time to a restaurant he checks first the CR. From the condition and cleanliness of the CR one can make direct conclusions to the condition of the whole place.
I find it positive, that the new manager now answers critics. But words are not enough. There must be actions. And as I mentioned already above: There are improvement which cost no money, e.g. cleanliness. As my wife and me we are living at the Camotes we will see after a while if promises are not only empty words.
Besides: The view is still beautiful (but that's not the merit of the staff) and to have a WIFI with a good connection now is not bad.
A word to the pool: There is a good reason that it's forbidden to jump in with clothes (T-Shirts, Jeans, Shorts), but what does it help if nobody cares and the regulation is not executed?
And the really last word: A miaowing and begging cat in the restaurant maybe look funny to some children guests, but to others it's just an harassment and unhygienic threat when they try to jump to tables and the bar counters.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Uncle K
santiagobay, General Manager at Santiago Bay Garden & Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Uncle K.

let me apologize for your mixed experience here at our resort, and I will look into these matters with urgency.

However, we do clean our CR regularly and the brown water may be the result of brackish water pumped. All our rooms have shower curtains (I installed those immediately after I assumed my post), and I will find out why your room didn't have one.

I hope that you will visit us again soon and see whether I kept my 'promise'..

with warmest regards from Santiago Bay..

Aino Deutsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Paranaque, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Rooms are simple but clean, staff are okay, would suggest if they could be courteous enough by saying good morning or evening when they meet a customer. Bathroom is a bit small since there was a pillar blocking some space on it. All in all our stay was good.

Pros:
Resort have swimming pools
Nice Garden
Nice scenery

Cons:
low water pressure
there are not enough beach activity

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tontoinks
santiagobay, General Manager at Santiago Bay Garden & Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Tontoinks;

thank you for your comments, which are highly appreciated.
I am currently conducting a training program which focuses precisely on the issue of guest relations, which, of course, includes friendly demeanor (guest greetings), starting from the guest contact staff up to the gardeners and maintenance staff. Your comment certainly reinforces what I am teaching and I will use that comment in my lessons. Most of our staff are 'locals' (from Camotes) and they still need to adjust to the hospitality world.

We do have quite a number of 'beach activities', which are skim boards, snorkels and masks, trampolines (2) in the water, kayaks, jet skis, banana boat, Frisbee, badminton (some of these are free of charge).

Please let me know what other activities you would like to see.

Again, thank you and we do look forward welcoming you again soon.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is a simple hotel, with some deficiencies, but fairly-priced.

It has a nice swimming pool, a sweeping view over a crystalline sea, and access to an attractive stretch of white-sand beach. As far as I am aware, it is the best hotel in the Camotes Islands.

The rooms are rather basic, and there is much evidence of cost-cutting, but at the price (about P 2 thousand, $50, for an air conditioned room), and considering the nice setting, I thought it was very good value.

Some easy things that management could do to improve the guest experience:

1. Plug in the appliances before the guest checks in. I had to plug in the AC and the bedside lamp. I left the tv and refrigerator unplugged but most guests will want these plugged in already, and ready to use.

2. Stop playing music in the restaurant. Guests don't come here to listen to a radio playing loud light rock, but to enjoy the breeze and the serenity of the sea.

3. Work with the town authorities to create more activities for visitors.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MannyG2000
santiagobay, General Manager at Santiago Bay Garden & Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Thank you Manny for the visit and your suggestions, which we surely appreciate.

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Went to Santiago Bay "resort" with my fiancee expecting a positive experience given that some of the reviews were positive ... I would like to offer a more realistic analysis .. first impressions were of a nice garden setting with ocean views and a small pool . My excitement soon dimmed when we were shown the so called ocean deluxe cat box they call a room . small Philippine bed , a 20 year old TV with only local channels (3), one small table 2 chairs that don't fit it , no decorations and a noisy little box air conditioner that struggled to keep the room less than warm which is probably why you only got a sheet to sleep under . The small pool was more of a source of noises as the rooms are opposite it and the rooms are all crammed together in what we call "flats" ... A noisy claustrophobic stalag in my opinion . One power point , out of reach unless you bring a ten foot extension cord , no electric jug allowed , no wifi in rooms , no hot water ,just luke warm from some tepid source which smelt of sulphates so use bottled water to brush your teeth and no services to clean up unless you specifically ask for it ... but you have to go downstairs to fetch your own hot water ... no i will tell you what i really didn't like !!! the staff i am sorry to stay were like hire horses .. ie long faces and couldn't wait to get home .. none of the usual warm welcomes and hellos we are accustomed to in this country . the only attention we got were peeving leers at my fiancee from the overabundance of male staff hanging around , smoking and doing nothing . If you have bad knees .. forget it .. the steps are very many and as big as pyramid blocks replete with slippery surfaces which have claimed a few victims I was told . And to top it all off the restaurant was mostly out of stock.. Bad Bad Bad !!!

Room Tip: I cannot recommend any rooms here ...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Rudy B
santiagobay, General Manager at Santiago Bay Garden & Resort, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
First of all allow me to apologize to the guests for not having lived up to their expectations. I personally emphasize with their feelings.
However, I also would like to ‘clarify’ (though I can’t make it ‘undone) some of the points.
Our ocean view rooms are around 25 sqm and some are equipped with 2 standard sized single beds and some are with standard sized double bed. Maybe the standard here in the Philippines is different from the one in Australia.
Yes, in the lower priced rooms (ocean view rooms are USD 42.00) we only provide local channels in our TV, but have satellite channels in the higher priced ones.
Our resort has two infinity pools, which, we believe are sufficient for our limited number of rooms (52 rooms), considering, that we are beside a long stretch of white sand beach.
The comment that we do not allow electric jugs seems odd to me, as we even provide those on request. Some rooms have the hot water jugs as we provide free coffee/tea making amenities for the higher priced rooms.
We provide free wifi access in the restaurant and lobby lounge, but do not have wifi in the rooms.
Unfortunately we were subject to a typhoon a few days before and our supplies were delayed due to the cancellation of the shuttle ferry. That was the reason why we ran out of the items we have to order in Cebu.
Our policy is to make up/clean every room every day, which also includes the vacant rooms.
Let me also point out, that we are presently upgrading all of our lower priced rooms with flat screen TV’s, new bed covers, new cabinets, new chairs and tables, new picture frames and some décor items and bed side lamps. We also will provide more convenient outlets and some of the older air-conditioning units will be replaced. Unfortunately we here on Camotes island are still suffering from power outages on a regular basis. Though we do have 2 generator sets, which would go on after a maximum of 3 minutes, servicing all electrical requirements, these outages do take their toll on our equipments, like aircon units, refrigeration and even TV’s.
If we would have been informed by the guest, that the cooling is not sufficient, we gladly would have given them another room or even upgraded them at no additional cost.
Though I trust the observations from the guests, I do not believe, that staff was smoking. Possibly the persons who were smoking were either guests, suppliers or other visitors coming to the resort.
However, as I feel strongly about ‘attitude’ and service, corrective measures have been implemented upon my return to the resort.
Again our sincerest apologies to the guests and I hope, that the guest would give us another chance to show the real Santiago Bay on their next visit to Camotes Island.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Guadalupe, Cebu, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

although we went there via fisherman pump boat and thought that we would die, our tempers were redeemed by this simple hotel. accommodations were simple yet decent only slightly luxurious. service crew are very warm and accommodating. food are in heaps. pool is just ok, you could see the beach from there. beach was AMAZING! you don't need goggles to see underneath the water. lots of fishies near shore. snorkeling area is sooo cool! just look for fishermen who would offer services. try to haggle. the hotel rents out snorkeling stuff. then at night, we were in perfect timing that they had this once a year reggae event by one of the store owners at the beach. the shore line would go so far because of the low tide. it was so fun walking in the beach under the moon! we went back to danao via ferry. it's way better to take the ferry.

Room Tip: choose the one in front of the beach. the view is great during morning
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheska T
Dear Cheska;
thank you for your very vivid comment and we hope that we can welcome you again soon, here on Camotes (taking the ferry)..

Please do call on me when you again choose to stay with us.

Cebu Island, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Camotes Island is the perfect getaway place to unwind and spend time with family and friends.
I spent the whole weekend at Santiago Bay to celebrate my birthday with a group of friends and I just love the resort! Nice friendly staffs, accommodating, good service, affordable food, and of course the white sand beach to complete the package. I really enjoyed staying there! I understand the brownouts because of weather conditions and the noisy people out there it doesn't matter to me, LOL we are all on vacation! Yes, I would definitely come back ;)

Room Tip: all rooms are ok, it depends on your preference...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank thetraveljuan
Dear Traveljuan;

just wanting to thank you for your complimenting write up and we are very happy, that you and your friends enjoyed our little resort.

Hope to see you soon again and please do not hesitate to call on me.

Timaru, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2013

Visited here with a view to stay. First thing we noticed was the noise. Very busy swimming pool and quite small although we noticed they are building another pool in another part of the complex. Rooms were ok. Went to the bay. Very safe for children. But the temperature of the water is unbelievable. It is hotter than a warm bath. Because it is so shallow, it gets very hot. Staff we met very friendly. Needs updateing though.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 13 in San Francisco
Mangodlong Rock Resort
Mangodlong Rock Resort
#2 of 5 in Pacijan Island

Been to Santiago Bay Garden & Resort? Share your experiences!