“Absolutely worthy trip to Happy Cook & Great Eat.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Happy Cook - CLOSED

Happy Cook
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Description: see review at http://www.flickr.com/photos/avlxyz/sets/72157608351097114/
kuala lumpur
“Absolutely worthy trip to Happy Cook & Great Eat.”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

A few years ago, I learnt about this place in the Suburb of Melbourne. So after flying thousand of miles across the oceans, I took an hour's train ride to Nunwading from Melbourne, it took us to this Happy Cook Restaurant. The Peking Duck was very well done & delicious & the recommended dessert was absolutely tantalising . At the wall, hung the accolades of this Chinese Restuarant as well of well known celebrities. Great Place & Nice Ambiance.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank carsam c

“First impressions can be deceiving”
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Don't judge this place by the tacky hand written specials posters on the walls. The staff are friendly, and the Peking influenced dishes are AMAZING! Trust me - if you book a table and they ask how many Peking Ducks you want, ORDER SOME. And ask for the chef's specials. Packed with flavour, the food is authentic. Yes there are tacky chairs and old tables, but the food is great.

Melbourne
“An innocuous restaurant offering genuine Chines food”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I took my family here last month. Three gown boys plus hubby and myself. Cost of around $225 with entrees, mains and dessert. I had read the reviews and liked what I read and I always love having a place that's close to home with byo. When you book, there are two sittings, we chose the later one, it wasn't packed for a Saturday night, probably 3/4 full. Also, when you book you are asked whether you want to pre-order the Peking duck which I did (about $50). This is apparently one of their specialties and it was darn nice, the sauce is the owners secret recipe - my boys wolfed down those little pancakes in no time. Other dishes we had included beef, chicken and pork (prices being standard but not exorbitant), rice and noodles. I liked this restaurant because the dishes are authentic and fresh, not 70's style Chinese food that hasn't moved with the times, more from the heart as opposed to "modern Chinese". The seating is dated (but I'm there for there food not the furniture) and the walls are plastered with hand written menus or specials in texta in English and Chinese, yeah tacky but so typical of Asian eateries. For all that, the chairs are comfy though and the service is family run and attentive. This is a restaurant serving higher end quality Chinese food at a reasonable price with good service, well worth sampling. Definitely try the Peking Duck it's the best I've ever tasted.

box hill
“Yummy”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Really enjoyed the experience. The restaurant is nothing to look at, but if you go on the chef's recommendations fantastic,
We tried the fried seaweed, dumpling, peking duck, rusty nails, sesame pockets, and two other dishes which we did not need to order because serves are big.
Meals were fantastic, would highly recommend

“Quality Quality Quality!!”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I went back to Happy Cook yesterday and had the Shanghai Dumplings, Rusty Nails and theu did a special beef noodle soup dish which was very spicy. All in all everytime I have eaten here it is simply magnificent. All dishes are of a high standard and if you dont go here you are missing out. The peking duck is the best in Melbourne...it's always impecabbly presented, moist and tender. The tea house smoked duck again is just superb, make sure you pre order the peking duck at least a day before. This is the only place I eat sweets, banana or apple fritter laced with beautiful toffee, the batter is clean and yum, everything about this place is 10 out of 10. I am very fussy when it comes to food, if you are the same go to Happy Cook.