“Quiet and comfortable”

Sundown Motel Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Symonston
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We stayed here for one night in a 1 bedroom unit. The staff were extremely friendly at check in and exceeded all of our expectations. The unit was clean and comfortable, however dated. Our unit had a kitchenette with cooktop and microwave with minimal cooking utensils. Enough to prepare a breakfast or basic meal. The property is located 15 mins drive from central Canberra. We found location was convenient as you need a car to see the main sights in the city, which are spread out all over town. Manuka is a small suburb very close to this property (about 5-10min drive) and had great restaurants for lunch and dinner. North quarter in central Canberra was great for good food as well.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clint-Dana

Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed on a Saturday night only (had to urgently visit a sick friend in Canberra Hospital).
The price was very reasonable (booked on Wotif) and I wasn't expecting too much for the money. The first impression, of course, is that it's a long way ($30 cab fare) from the city. But after that, it's all good! The receptionist was bright, cheerful, friendly, helpful. My little villa (#206) was secure, very clean and comfortable. In fact it was very much cleaner than some expensive accommodation I've stayed at in recent months. The bathroom was very compact but the shower was great. I will be staying again, but next time I will travel by car.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ChrisC26
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I visit Canberra 3 times a year on business and find this Motel to suit my needs.The Deluxe apartments are new ,clean and spacious with a HD LCD panel on the wall.

Griffith shops are 5 minutes away, good restaurants and a supermarket.The Viking Golf Club is very close and has an Asian kitchen.

Pros: Very good housekeeping,Quiet location,value for money.

Cons: Location,Motel is on the Southern extremity of Canberra ... need a car to get around.

Bus loads of visiting school kids stay here ... but Teachers seem to keep them in line.

No Foxtel !!!

Expensive Internet !!! most places are free now.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Beefster61
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Our family stayed here for the weekend. The accommodation is fairly basic, but good for a quick family get away. There was a small kitchenette & dining table in the main room, along with 2 sets of bunk beds. The bedroom had a fairly small double bed with the bathroom off it. My only complaint would be that there were no electric blankets on the beds, & the room did have a very strong smell of cleaning products every time we entered it.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2011

This place was recommended to me by a friend because it was under $120 a night for a one bedroom room.
I called up reception to see if i can secure a 2 bedroom room because most discount websites did not advertise the 2 bedroom. Upon calling, I found the reception staff to be quite rude and I told them I'll call up again if I decide to book. I called again the next day and asked them to confirm the price, and they gave me a more expensive price which was a bit strange given I only called the day before. I explained that I was given the cheaper quote (they did not seem to believe me) but the lady grudgingly accepted.

The resort is quite out of the way so you definitely need a car to get into the CBD and attractions but it's only a 15 min drive to most. Nothing much to eat around the area either. We have read about this in the reviews beforehand and supplied our own groceries to cook breakfast and the kitchen was adequate but you won't be able to cook a big meal. The bistro is not open on weekends which was a bit strange.
They also charge for everything else, eg: BBQ, laundry.

The rooms, however were pleasantly comfortable and although a bit dated (I agree with most of the reviews here) - the cleaning staff did a great job.
Shower was extremely small though.
Also,found it strange that the room with 2 single beds was where the en suite was (maybe they could not fit the queen bed in there) but we worked around everything and the kids had a ball and called the place 'their cubby" - gives you an idea that it's quite small but still ok.

When we went, it was very quiet and we had no neighbors around us so it was very peaceful but I can imagine that during busy season, it can get quite noisy as the units are very close together.

Overall, a good value place to stay when you're in Canberra and just need a place to sleep for the night. The staff were not very pleasant though and I would probably choose an apartment closer to town the next time I'm in Canberra.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank AustTrail
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I really liked this place. The staff where really cool and layed back, I think the girl behind the counter gave me a good deal / upgrade becuase I payed less and stayed in a room that was rather big for one person (it had two rooms).
The room was fantastic, clean and very modern.The only complaint is that the restruant was closed and the shop only had chips and frozen meals, I did buy a pie but I couldnt eat it as it was not microwaveable and my room did not have a oven, I suggest that all frozen foods should be microwave ones. The pool was very clean and warming.

This place is VERY good!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelconductor
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Maybe it was because we got upgraded to a delux unit, but this motel far exceeded our expectations. Really clean, flat screen HDTV, great toiletries, excellent kitchen facilities, if somewhat small. Granted it was just myself and my 8 year old but we loved it and the facilities...to quote my child...Best holiday ever mum.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Symonston
Ibis Styles Canberra Narrabundah
#1 of 1 in Tuggeranong
Diplomat Hotel
Diplomat Hotel
#13 of 58 in Canberra

Been to Sundown Motel Resort? Share your experiences!