“Really can't fault the place”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Allanton Inn

Allanton Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Allanton B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“Really can't fault the place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

We visited the Allanton Inn recently and we had the most fantastic time. It's about a 10 minute drive from Berwick Upon Tweed and about four miles from the centre of Duns. The hotel itself is steeped in history - I think it's been in use for quite a long time.
The staff are really friendly and they've created a super relaxed atmosphere within the hotel.
We had no complaints about our room - it looked as though it had been recently decorated and everything was in perfect working order.
The real highlight of our visit was sampling the fare served in the restaurant. The chef uses locally sourced produce to great effect. He has produced a wonderfully adventurous menu that food lovers will adore. We couldn't help but be greedy when we tucked into our wood pigeon pate, our venison and our perfectly cooked lamb. Needless to say, the plates were returned to the kitchen with no trace of food left on them whatsoever. The fun continued the following day at breakfast. I have never tasted such a decadent and tasty bowl of porridge in my life before. I'll be perfectly clear - the kitchen staff appear to know nothing about portion control. I can't decide whether this is bad or good news!
And as my stomach groaned as a consequence of eating too much, I cursed my luck for not ordering a cooked Scottish breakfast. The black pudding looked simply divine.
The bar also serves a nice pint and we also enjoyed a couple of really nice gin and tonics.
Basically, it's a good place to stop off at. It seems to attract fishermen who take advantage
of local waters. I also reckon it would be a fantastic place to base yourself from if you were holidaying in the Scottish borders. I would love to come back here at night for a meal after a day's driving around the area.
All in all, I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to people.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shawlandstraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Glasgow, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

The food is great and worth the stay in the dated rooms. They are not dirty they are just badly in need of upgrading and the owners plan to do this over the winter period. If the restaurant and bar area is the benchmark then they will only add to the experience. Bearing in mind the owners have only been there since March they have put the place on the map with great food. The person that didn't eat in the restaurant because the place was "dirty" aka "tired" really did miss out.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Eileen C
Seaham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

My partner and i stayed here for one night on Saturday 4th Sept after seeing its website on the internet and how perfectly lovely it was.We stayed in room 3 which was absolutely lovely and so cosy,with loads of attention to detail.we prebooked a table in the restaurant as we knew the pub was in a tiny village with no amenities there and neither of us were disappointed.i had carrot orange and ginger soup to start which was bloody lovely and my partner had mussels which he devoured an no time.My main was lamb which was lovely although i did wish i had chosen the pork chop,which came with black pudding and choritzo which my partner had chosen and was absolutely delicious. Only I had a dessert of caramel apple betty served with ice cream whcih was 'to die for'.We had a bottle of rose wine and a vodka and kalhua,both with mixers and the total bill only came to £67.50.The atmosphere was warm and cosy and relaxed and the decor and setting superb.We both slept well and went down to breakfast at 8.15 am (we could have gone anywhere between 8 and 9.30) and the choice was fantastic.I had a mixture of fresh fruit and dried berries topped with greek yoghurt and chopped nuts whilst my partner had cereal then we both had the biggest, most delicious cooked breakfast you have ever seen,consisting of bacon,sausage,egg,black pudding,haggis,baked beans,mushrooms and tomato and also toast with assorted jams and marmalades.Everything about this pub was absolutely lovely,with so much attention to detail and very friendly staff and a lovley large beer garden out the back too.Will we be going back-most definately,and we'd recommend it to anyone.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebbieandLes
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

Second time down to this lovely little haven and it didn't disappoint - had been told to visit it by a friend and we first went in may for one night with two small kids - toys, games and dvds in family room made for a really pleasant stay with fab food and drink that kept us up much later than we had intended. So when we were planning a break for my mother in laws 70th we thought of this place straight away. We had all of the rooms bar one which was already booked and we were delighted with every element of the stay. The owners welcome was second to none and they had catered for all our many and varied requirements to the letter - my mother in law was delighted and they will be returning as will we!! Food is fab - rustic and comforting with homemade breads and preserves.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Nerb
Golspie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

This was a Joy to discover. We booked through late rooms after reading all the excellant reveiws. William the affable energetic host welcomed us and showed us to our well appointed cosy room. Dinner was a joy, lobster from Eyemouth and steaks from the Gallowgate home farm were on the menu amongs lots of other local produce. Katrina a local borders lass cooked breakfast the following morning. Again a lovely experience. Local bacon and sausage, local eggs and black pudding. This is a new venture for the dynamic couple and I couldnt falult anything. In all brilliant value for money and a well executed and thought of operation. We will endevour to return many times.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlasgowFlyfisher
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

I have visited The Allanton Inn twice now and both times I absolutely loved it!
It is in a beautiful setting in the borders, very peaceful and relaxing and was recommended to me by a work colleague.

My first visit was in June 2010 with my dad and the second time with a friend.
On arrival, I found the staff very warm and welcoming, this was further evident for the duration of our stay. Also, on talking to the owner's wife I discovered she is originally from the Duns area, and was excellent at advising places of interest in the local area.

The food was amazing! -Huge hearty portions, locally sourced produce, great presentation and really got the tastebuds going! (I would definitely recommend one of the steaks or the Oxtail curry)

The Owner/barman's product knowledge was top notch, particularly on whisky malts, assisting my dad on choosing one, and the second time when staying with my friend he made some amazing cocktails!

Overall, I found The Allanton Inn; very hospitable, great food, lovely back lawn to enjoy a drink in the sunshine and great surroundings. Very clean and comfortable rooms. The only downside I would say is that the shower I got was quite small, but spotless nonetheless. I suppose the beautiful handmade scottish toiletries made up for it!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Quaint1
plymouth devon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

This inn is in a lovely area of the borders. However the gentleman/owner/manager lacked basic communication skills, which led to silly misunderstandings. I have never stayed anywhere that rehung the dirty towels for you to reuse. Ones that you have placed on the bathroom floor and shower to be removed. This happened in both the rooms we stayed in. [ and dont give me that its not enviromentally friendly to wash towels every time excuse because if its policy its normaly made clear] If they are on the floor they are dirty! The shower/toilet room was the smallest but that would be acceptable if the floor was clean and the sliding door and walls did not make you feel you had steped into a prison cell. Our plan was to eat at the inn. But the general poor hygiene in the rooms and grubby stairways put us off. This was a shame because the menu looked perfect.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
9 Thank ippyi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allanton
Chirnside Hall Hotel
Chirnside Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chirnside
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#2 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
#1 of 2 in Swinton
The Craw Inn
The Craw Inn
#8 of 13 in Eyemouth

Been to Allanton Inn? Share your experiences!