“Great as always”

Dining options: Reservations
Inverurie, United Kingdom
“Great as always”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Been here so many times but I can't help myself but say how good it is. I had Hake with a linguine pasta and it was perfect,

The misses in gluten free and they always oblige perfectly with lots of options on the normal menu.

We come down from Aberdeen too see relatives and we make a point of coming here everytime we come. Simply because there is nowhere better in the area or up in Aberdeen.

• Visited August 2014

Mwanza
“Great Food”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had supper here recently with my wife. Despite it being busy, and despite us not having a booking, we were welcomed warmly. I had the hake and my wife had the trout (as per the specials board). Excellent food, well presented in nice surroundings. A bit pricier than standard pub fare, but worth the money, I'd say.
We will definitely return.

London
“Average , sadly”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Visited on a Sunday evening
Starters were nice , however mix of ingredients trying to be a bit to far fetched
Mains , fish under cooked , pork belly badly cooked.
For the price I was disappointed, may be a bad night
I had hoped to see more seafood and local borders produce on the menu .
Compared to some places in area , I think it's lost its class

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“If I could give it 3 and a half stars I would...”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I'm not sure this restaurant is quite 4 out if 5, but I don't think 3 would be fair. This is a nice gastro pub in the borders, in an area where you would have to travel a bit to a much larger town to find something comparable. The atmosphere is lovely - old pub charm, with a few modern touches here and there. The menu promised a lot, and the prices seemed high, certainly for the area, so. I assumed the food would be better (you know what they say about high expectations). The food didn't quite deliver. Portions were generous, but I'm not sure they were balanced. There was nothing wrong with most of our dishes - one main was a bit salty and my panna cotta was far too gelatinous (a cardinal sin in my book). However the highlights were the steak, and the fact that everything was locally sourced. However the high prices and quite slow service, means I wouldn't go out of my way to come back.

York, United Kingdom
“Nice but burnt yorkshire puds and thin gravy”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We have eaten here before whilst visiting the area and my wife and I had a good meal .On this occasion we had the roast beef dinner .The beef was thick and tasty and was nicely cooked. The gravy was sadly, like dishwater and did not live up to the expectation of the description on the menu where it was described as rich. The Yorkshire puddings were good but burnt on the underside. I am a Yorkshireman so I appreciate good Yorkshire Puddings ! The waiter seemed quite dismissive of this failing. When I arrived back at our accommodation I had a feeling that we had been slightly overcharged and this was confirmed by reference to a menu posted on the outside of the building on the next day. Only a small amount but nevertheless the bill was not accurate .We would recommend the establishment as there seems to be a shortage of good eating places in the immediate area.

• Visited May 2014