“The Cottage in the Woods”

The Restaurant at The Cottage in the Wood
Price range: US$34 - US$81
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Award winning restaurant with rooms featuring the best of Cumbrian produce
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We found this place as we drove by and turned around to check it out.
We booked immediately for dinner, and, had we known about it earlier, we would have stayed here too. Quiet and secluded in the midst of the lake District's walks.
Once again the produce was all locally sourced. Modern presentation and again good choice of game dishes if that's your thing (it is ours!). Great wine list. Super service.
A bit of a drive if you are not staying there, but that is a minor inconvenience, if you like fine dining at its best in the Lake District. Very highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for The Restaurant at The Cottage in the Wood

Reviewed 26 October 2013

The Cottage in the Wood, positioned amongst delightful surroundings in Winlatter forest, atop the intriguingly named “Magic Hill”.
Our meet and greet at this establishment was warm and friendly albeit perhaps a tad “friendlier” than the occasion warranted,. . . some folk I am sure could be made to feel, (unintentionally), ill at ease in feeling obliged at having to summon up an equally effusive response to this studied, albeit sincere, “charm offensive”.

Seated in the most comfortable of surroundings we were offered drinks, nibbles and the menu to peruse with the promise that our hostess would be back to “talk us through the menu”.
Two things here:
a.) I feel the presumption was made that we would require “talking through” the menu. This does tend to negate the option of serendipity, something I have employed in the past with the most surprising and delightful of results in other fine dining establishments.
b.) Better perhaps to ask if a “talk through" is required, or better still produce a menu which explains that “Iron Age Pork”, for example, is in fact a particular breed of hog and not as my imagination would have it a process which involves the hog being slow cooked in a pit of hot stones covered in sweet meadow straw and windfall apples. (Now there’s an idea!) . . . . . .

We enjoyed the selection of artisan breads and the “amuse bouche” of spiced cauliflower soup, as we did the starters: Pressed Head of Lorton Lop. For the main we opted for the Iron Age Pork which was delicious but alas the crackling proved challenging, being well beyond “el dente”. Nonetheless I suppose it did go to authenticate it’s provenance as being from the “Iron” Age Hog.

Sparkling water, my drink of choice, was drawn from the mountain brook running through the property and carbonated on site. A nice, practical sustainable gesture. My partners selection of the house red proved to be most acceptable.

Portions were, in my opinion, on the small side, I am sure my appreciation of the pork in particular would have been enhanced by a few more delicious mouthfuls.
The cheese board with a selection of five farm produced cheeses was again “talked through” with regards provenance and process, and the advice proffered that I leave two of the cheeses until last as they were seemingly particularly pungent. On reflection I really would have preferred to make this olfactory journey myself . . . . . again larger portions would have been appreciated.

In conclusion we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening, finishing with a couple of excellent digestif espresso coffee’s, (or “expresso” as mine hostess would have it).

1  Thank siefgried
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Having passed this place umpteen times and saying "we'll have to give it a try", we finally got to go. It was my birthday after all!!!! A warm welcome awaits, followed by one of the best meals we have ever had. Locally sourced ingredients with fabulous attention to detail and very knowledgeable staff made it a wonderful experience. If you are a person who likes quantity over quality, this may not be for you, but at the end of our meal we didn't feel over stuffed, which we both hate. The highlight of the meal, for me, was the walnut and parsnip cake. It was sublime, and I'm not a pudding person! All in all, lovely birthday treat and I wish now we hadn't left it so long! Will definitely recommend and hopefully be back soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Enjoyed a fabulous lunch for my Birthday whilst on holiday in the Lakes. Choosing the set meal 3 courses for £24. Excellent service, fantastic views from the balcony where we enjoyed a pre lunch drink. Quality of food and taste was a culinary delight which is a compliment indeed from two 'foodies' who expect more and are usually so very disappointed! Not in the case of The Cottage in the Wood, would strongly recommend it is a rare gem of a restaurant!

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have eaten here three times now, twice last year and recently. Each time we have found the food to be top notch but this time especially were blown away by the standard, presentation and value for money considering the quality, freshness and inventiveness of the food. The main menu food is very good and the Tasting menu amazing .....using local ingredients, herbs from the Furness coast, a tiny leaf tasted of oyster and pickled cockles to die for! The staff are efficient and friendly without being intruding. Simon Rogan watch out!!!

1  Thank doglover62