“Great walking”
Review of Central Fells

Central Fells
Reviewed 13 July 2014

There are so many great walks in the Lake District. As this attraction is shown as being at Braithwaite I'll mention the routes we did whilst staying at the Coledeale Inn.

First was a short drive down to Buttermere, parking at Gatesgarth. Up Fleetwith Pike then down and on to Green Gable and Great Gable. Drop down into Ennerdale, past Black Sail Youth Hostel and over Scarth Gap back to the car. If you are feeling energetic you can add Brandreth and Kirk Fell. About 8 hours including stops, but more with the add ons.

Second day the classic Coledale round from the Hotel. Up the Whinlatter road then taking the path that climbs steeply up to Grisedale Pike. On to Hopegill Head, down into the col and up right to the summit of Grasmoor. Back to the col then on to Wandope, Crag Hill and Sail. You can drop off and return to Braithwate after Sail or take in Causey Pike at the end of the ridge as well.

Both brilliant days out in any weather, but even better when the sun's shining!

1  Thank DickBurton

Reviewed 22 May 2014

For many years I have walked in the Lakes. I particularly love the Central Fells. I am getting too old now to tackle the highest peaks, but can still comfortably do the likes of Haystacks (which I did on this occasion, to pay my respects to Alfred Wainwright).

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We like to visit as many fells as we can, from the small like Loughrigg to more strenuous like Dollywagon pike,Fairfield,Helvellyn and the Dodds.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our first full day in the Lakes. The Central Fells are everything we expected with stunning views, charming tea rooms and friendly people. Had the privilege of being their when a pair of Ospreys returned here from Africa. Could not get any better!

Reviewed 13 February 2014

The Coledale round from Braithwaite is a treat in either direction and I echo AbracadabraEngland that to include Causey Pike in the hike offers a better alternative to Wainwright's route that skirts Outerside. Although it adds a couple of miles to the trail, the ridge is held for longer and therefore the views are better. I have trekked this route on numerous occasions in all conditions and introduced a Lakeland ingenue to it in November 2013. Even though conditions were far from glorious, he was bowled over by the challenge and the wonders of Lake District walking at its best. One for the connoisseur.